LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Throttle Control on 24 Compact

I just bought an Ariens 24 Compact. I just discovered that it doesn't have a throttle, is this a problem or is there some reason I shouldn't put one on it?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-18-2015, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB View Post
I just bought an Ariens 24 Compact. I just discovered that it doesn't have a throttle, is this a problem or is there some reason I shouldn't put one on it?

Jack
Jack

Congrats on your new machine Ariens makes a good product and offers excellent customer support.

Regarding not having a throttle this may be an inconvenience if you want to idle the engine instead of it always being set to rev at high speed, for example if you want to step away for awhile and don't want or need the engine running at full power. This would be more of an issue on a larger engine machine where you want to conserve fuel when the machine is not under load.

However this will not have any impact on the functionality of the machine while blowing snow.

Last edited by Cardo111; 10-18-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Brand new Ariens 24 Compact surging choke off

To JonB, Congrats on your new Compact 24. I just received delivery of mine and I was surprised too it had no throttle control. What was even more surprising was running it for the first time and when I take the choke off the engine surges up and down continuously. I talked to Home Depot about this and they said it should smooth out under load. I also talked to the local dealer who did the assembly and delivery of the snowblower and they told me I should run it at half choke. Since I have my doubts about these responses I have written to Ariens about this and hoping to hear back this week. I have heard they have good customer service so hoping for a quick resolution to this. I was excited to finally buy a snowblower and now that I have one I am not happy thinking it has a problem right from the start. So JonB, does your Ariens Compact 24 run smooth once warmed up and choke is off?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDro_NH View Post
To JonB, Congrats on your new Compact 24. I just received delivery of mine and I was surprised too it had no throttle control. What was even more surprising was running it for the first time and when I take the choke off the engine surges up and down continuously. I talked to Home Depot about this and they said it should smooth out under load. I also talked to the local dealer who did the assembly and delivery of the snowblower and they told me I should run it at half choke. Since I have my doubts about these responses I have written to Ariens about this and hoping to hear back this week. I have heard they have good customer service so hoping for a quick resolution to this. I was excited to finally buy a snowblower and now that I have one I am not happy thinking it has a problem right from the start. So JonB, does your Ariens Compact 24 run smooth once warmed up and choke is off?
A lot of the new EPA regulated engines run really lean from the factory. This is what causes the surging on them. It can be fixed my opening the jets a little bit and several people do it with small torch tip files or micro drill bits. You have to be careful not to over do it though.

Another thing is some of the engines will run poorly when it is warm out, but run better once it actually gets cold.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i hogged out my jet with a micro drill bit on my honda clones, just a bit bigger then oem. theres also a guy on here selling an adjustable main that work well(i bought one) but i forget his user name
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 238
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 606
Welcome to SBF. Glad to have you join us, and I think a lot of us are like you, we get excited about something only to have it not quite the way we thought it would be.

There's most likely a simple answer, and Ariens will no doubt have it for you. Please let us know what their response is.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Throttle Control on 24 Compact

I went out and started the blower up to see if it surged. After I let it warm up, I was able to open the choke up all the way and it ran smooth. I looked on the Ariens site and they said these engines are designed to run like this!
I will take them at their word and see how it does on the driveway.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 255
Quote:
I went out and started the blower up to see if it surged. After I let it warm up, I was able to open the choke up all the way and it ran smooth. I looked on the Ariens site and they said these engines are designed to run like this!
Once EPA catches wind of this suggestion, we will probably see carbs with an auto choke so you will not be allowed to run the engine rich, or actually correctly.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Here is my youtube video of my 24 Compact running. How does this compare to your Ariens idling?
post #10 of 13 Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Welcome to SBF. Glad to have you join us, and I think a lot of us are like you, we get excited about something only to have it not quite the way we thought it would be.

There's most likely a simple answer, and Ariens will no doubt have it for you. Please let us know what their response is.
Thank you. I am happy to have found you all to help me figure out whether I got a lemon or not. This spring I tore down and cleaned the carb on my 2 yr old Echo backpack blower as I learned the hard way about what ethanol can do. I only used non ethanol fuel in it and it runs perfectly. The email response from Ariens came today and was the following "in any case, the engine should not be surging at idle with the choke off. The air temperature should not make any difference. If the engine is surging a lot, I would take your unit to any authorized Ariens dealer and have them check it out, it should not be surging at idle speed." I wish I had gone down to this authorized dealer before they delivered it to me to see and hear this thing run because I would have questioned it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page