LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
My '68 rebuild.

Instead of asking a bunch of questions I might as well just make a thread on my machine.

I picked up a 68 6hp sno-throw at the end of last winter. Everything ran pretty smoothly the twice I tried it out before the snow melted. Just a little tuning and cleaning and fixing a flat tire.

I've been pretty busy but in the last month I took the tecumseh apart (not the crank case or blower assembly) cleaned the carb and painted everything a semi gloss black. I think I have it mostly put back together but I have two stalls. I need a longer fuel line - Jacks sent the wrong size easy fix - and I can't remember where the ground wire was attached.

Any help here? I'm hoping to have it fired up today and I'll post pics. Any other points of concern or recommendations welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2015, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 275
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 3341
Likes (Received): 679
Hello and welcome to SBF Todd. There are two ground wires I can think of, but since you probably removed the recoil shroud to replace the fuel line, the ground wire from the ignition coil goes underneath the screw that holds the condenser in place. The other ground I know of goes on to a tab attached to a nylon insulating block on the throttle linkage.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes knu2xs liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 10-31-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks found it!

Dumped a little gas it to fire up and found a bad leak at the main carb adjustment needle (bottom) and a slight drip by the fuel tank valve. It stopped when I shut the valve.

I'm missed the small o-ring at the carb screw but it's MIA so I guess I need to get another. It sure where the other leal is coming from yet.

Another question, after taking the carb off again I notice it's too close to the breather. With the breather on I can't even put the carb bowl back in. Did I miss something putting it back on?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2015, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwoodsTodd View Post
Another question, after taking the carb off again I notice it's too close to the breather. With the breather on I can't even put the carb bowl back in. Did I miss something putting it back on?
I can't visualize what your talking about, a picture would help us.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Got if figured out! Had it installed backward so the "cup" was out not in of that makes sense. New seals on the carb and no leak. Beast fired up with a little starting spray and ran like a champ. Just some tweaking on the idle screw and maybe the governor. Runs like a bat out of **** on full throttle.

This is my first time putting together an engine. I feel like Dr. FRANKSTEIN. I'm looking forward to winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151102_190800_1446513028617.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	61305  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hello Todd, glad to hear you figured out the carb problem. A word of caution, don't try to adjust the governor to obtain more speed if it has never been moved from the factory setting. There is usually a screw on the throttle linkage for setting max load speed (3400-3600 rpm) and "should" be set using a tachometer. The instructions can be found in the service manual. Remember to set the screw in the side of the carb for best running at idle or a little above. The screw on the bottom of the float bowl is adjusted for best running at full engine speed. Good luck.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

post #7 of 11 Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for that. I just meant adjusting the linkage and arm to where it was. I never pulled the governor, just took the arm off. I notice there's not much movement in it so it should be pretty basic right? I have a guy across the street who knows small engines I might just ask for help.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Welcome to wisconsin, snow. Nice to see you!

So I had the beast running this morning for 5 minutes before it failed and couldn't get it restarted. I had to use my old craftsman 20" for this crap. What's a good resource for replacement engines? I've seen a few of you using Predator engines. I just want something cheap that will work while I tinker with the old tecumseh a bit.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Let me just say that I am a big fan of the 6.5 hp (212cc) Predator from HF. I put one one my 10ML60 this past fall, just brought it out first time for this 1" of frozen slush, including the end of my double driveway from the town plow wind roll. All I can say is AWESOME !! It ran great, not one clog, threw that stuff on the lawn no problem. Did my neighbors as well. Best 99.00 (on sale) I ever spent.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-29-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's what I'm looking at right now. Sounds to be a good solution instead of tinkering more with this old engine. Was it pretty much bolt on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page