LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
are tire chains necessary

I recently replaced my old snowblower with an ariens deluxe 28. I have not yet had a chance to test the new unit on snow, so I am looking to those of you who have experience with them for a recommendation.

Do i need tire chains or are the 16 X 4.9 inch tires adequate on their own ?

thanks for your help

garthman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4364
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
IMHO, no. On an older machine upgrading to a new style aggressive tread tire is more beneficial and has better results. It's so much smoother to have a round tire rolling down the drive than bouncing from chain to chain and having that jarring vibration up your arms and into your shoulders.
I love not having chains and I don't miss them.

BUT ... it also depends on how much ice you get and if you have a hill and what surface you're on. There are times I'm doing the unpaved (weeds and grass) turn around area where chains would be helpful.
Doesn't make must sense if you have a new asphalt or concrete driveway that you're worried enough about to purchase poly skids and then chew it up with chains.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 36
depends

I've had chains on my ""71".. 32 " bucket for most of the years I have had it. it also has the turf saver tires on it. I prefer to not have them on,as it rolls smoother, (not much difference in heavy or deep snow as far as smoothness). with that being said, for me the traction with chains is a must, with the snow we get here in N.E..i do not have to "manhandle" the blower as much, especially with the snow we had this past winter.the extra traction was great with that 3 foot storm, and the 7 foot snow banks at the end of the driveways, with the melting and ice. I do not know about the newer tires and if it would matter, but I think its preference and how you need your machine to push through the snow and ice. i'm "older" and don't like to be sore from handling the blower.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 110
Your Deluxe model should have either Carlise Snow hog or X-Trac tires on them. If so then your good to go on pavement. If they are turf savers, which I highly doubt they are on that model, then chains are a must.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
Unless you have a short and flat driveway typically associated with urban homes and have no ice to deal with, you absolutely need tire chains! I thought the aggressive Snow Hog tires would do fine except for icy conditions and boy was I wrong. Feel free to try it without, but I am sure after a few major snowfalls you'll be running for chains.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes AriensSnowman liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 21
Good question. I've wondered that myself with the new machine. I'd suggest you wait and see if you really need them or not. Like yourself my previous SBs had chained tires whereas the new one doesn't. It has very aggressive lugs so I'm hoping I don't need them but I have my doubts. Once in a while we'll get a storm with high winds and the snow can drift in like concrete and its in those conditions where I doubt the lug tires will be enough. Time will tell.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 35
Garage
I'm not going to take the chains off mine... Unless I sell it, then I'm keeping the old school hard rubber tires and chains for the new one

Last edited by Bob E; 11-02-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: grammatical
post #8 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 460
Likes (Received): 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhawg View Post
Unless you have a short and flat driveway typically associated with urban homes and have no ice to deal with, you absolutely need tire chains! I thought the aggressive Snow Hog tires would do fine except for icy conditions and boy was I wrong. Feel free to try it without, but I am sure after a few major snowfalls you'll be running for chains.
I've been running blowers for a long time. Many years. I've had brick driveways, gravel driveways, sloped driveways and paved driveways and have never used or needed chains on any blower. Even when we had EOD problems I never had the need for them. But, my snow conditions may vary from what you get. We've had some snows in excess of 2 feet and no chains needed. Just my humble

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KrowNB, nervous liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I've been running blowers for a long time. Many years. I've had brick driveways, gravel driveways, sloped driveways and paved driveways and have never used or needed chains on any blower. Even when we had EOD problems I never had the need for them. But, my snow conditions may vary from what you get. We've had some snows in excess of 2 feet and no chains needed. Just my humble
I have absolutely no idea how you ever got by then. I have the exact opposite experience from you, not to mention everyone else I know including my cousin who landscapes and plows snow for a living.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #10 of 24 Old 11-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 133
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 286
Likes (Received): 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Good question. I've wondered that myself with the new machine. I'd suggest you wait and see if you really need them or not. Like yourself my previous SBs had chained tires whereas the new one doesn't. It has very aggressive lugs so I'm hoping I don't need them but I have my doubts. Once in a while we'll get a storm with high winds and the snow can drift in like concrete and its in those conditions where I doubt the lug tires will be enough. Time will tell.
The above pretty much summed up my attitude & conditions.

By the end of last season I added chains to my new
Ariens Platinum 24 SHO and it made a world of difference.

In addition to the chains I also added 10 lb's of weight and
may add 5 or 10 more in order to deal with packed drifts.

One of the things I noticed, after adding chains, is that the Auto Turn didn't
want to veer as much due to the uneven conditions I have to deal with. It's
as if the added traction keeps things equal, even when I drop off into the
cultivated farm field that runs alongside much of our main driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page