Correct ArmourSkids for 2014/2015 Platinum 24 SHO (921038) to fix AutoTurn Problem?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Correct ArmourSkids for 2014/2015 Platinum 24 SHO (921038) to fix AutoTurn Problem??

Last Winter bought a new Ariens Platinum 24 SHO, was purchased from the local John Deere dealer. It seems like a great machine except for a problem that many other people have commented on. On the 100' driveway that slopes downward towards the house, the Auto Turn feature kept trying to turn the machine either left or right...happens both going up hill and down hill. It is a sloping asphalt driveway that does have a few low spots and high spots. If I take the snowblower on the flat grass it goes laser straight.

The tires appear to have the same/correct recommended air pressure...and yes, I've watched the Ariens YouTube video on making sure the frame is aligned perfectly...and it seems to be. But still the problem exists...AutoTurn appears too sensitive for certain terrain.

So question is...for an Ariens Model # 921038 what is the correct size/model Armour Skids...that will be my next attempt at fixing this problem.

Thanks,
-mike-

Last edited by HighlanderNH; 11-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
The different models on the armor skids are just for different bolt spacing. Go take a tape measure or ruler to your skids and see how far apart the bolts are. My guess would be 3" on center.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlanderNH View Post
Last Winter bought a new Ariens Platinum 24 SHO, was purchased from the local John Deere dealer. It seems like a great machine except for a problem that many other people have commented on. On the 100' driveway that slopes downward towards the house, the Auto Turn feature kept trying to turn the machine either left or right...happens both going up hill and down hill. It is a sloping asphalt driveway that does have a few low spots and high spots. If I take the snowblower on the flat grass it goes laser straight.

The tires appear to have the same/correct recommended air pressure...and yes, I've watched the Ariens YouTube video on making sure the frame is aligned perfectly...and it seems to be. But still the problem exists...AutoTurn appears too sensitive for certain terrain.

So question is...for an Ariens Model # 921038 what is the correct size/model Armour Skids...that will be my next attempt at fixing this problem.

Thanks,
-mike-

Nice machine, if you want to stick with O.E. Parts you can also use Ariens Poly Skid shoes to address Auto-Turn issues.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post

Nice machine, if you want to stick with O.E. Parts you can also use Ariens Poly Skid shoes to address Auto-Turn issues.
A John Deere dealer installed the poly skid shoes before I picked up the machine last Winter...but still had the AutoTurn problem. ...and that's even with checking tire pressure and double checking alignment of machines frame according to the Ariens YouTube video...which I watched 2-3 times.

AutoTurn just seems too sensitive..as soon as either the left or right side "catches" for whatever reason in the snow/ice the machine wants to turn right or left. As I said ...I would try it on a flat section of grass and there was no problem at all. Reading through many posts it seems obvious that these machines don't all have problems with tire pressure or a misalignment of the machine's frame. Try going down or up a 100'+ 6-10 degree asphalt driveway with some high and low spots with hard packed ice/snow spots and you see the problem right away. I'm an engineer...and definitely it's a real problem.

Thanks,
-mike-
post #5 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlanderNH View Post
A John Deere dealer installed the poly skid shoes before I picked up the machine last Winter...but still had the AutoTurn problem. ...and that's even with checking tire pressure and double checking alignment of machines frame according to the Ariens YouTube video...which I watched 2-3 times.

AutoTurn just seems too sensitive..as soon as either the left or right side "catches" for whatever reason in the snow/ice the machine wants to turn right or left. As I said ...I would try it on a flat section of grass and there was no problem at all. Reading through many posts it seems obvious that these machines don't all have problems with tire pressure or a misalignment of the machine's frame. Try going down or up a 100'+ 6-10 degree asphalt driveway with some high and low spots with hard packed ice/snow spots and you see the problem right away. I'm an engineer...and definitely it's a real problem.

Thanks,
-mike-
Interesting I have read many posts where the Poly Skids did the trick, apparently every case is different. Hopefully the extended length ArmorSkids will do the trick for you, keep us posted.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
I have 2015 Deluxe24. Center to Center on Slots is 3" and the Skids I ordered ( after speaking to Armorskid Tech was ASC 0310 ) many of the Ariens useASC 0300 and I asked the Tech to double Chk since the Model Number of my Machine wasn't on their Sizing Chart and she said I needed the ASC 0310s. Maybe cause it's a 2015? ( Be sure to order 2 Skids! ) I ordered through Home Depot App, and will do Store Pickup for free shipping! Cost for pair about $35. Cost for Ariens Polypropylene replacement Skids double that price!! I would go to HD and use Instant Chat just to be sure.Wouldnt want to STEER YOU IN WRONG DIRECTION...So to speak!
post #7 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
Just kurious. The poly sides have the same shape as the OE metal skids

Does the Poly skids difference in ~traction~ make that much of a difference relative to Auto-Turn usability/experience
post #8 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwilly49 View Post
I have 2015 Deluxe24. Center to Center on Slots is 3" and the Skids I ordered ( after speaking to Armorskid Tech was ASC 0310 ) many of the Ariens useASC 0300 and I asked the Tech to double Chk since the Model Number of my Machine wasn't on their Sizing Chart and she said I needed the ASC 0310s. Maybe cause it's a 2015? ( Be sure to order 2 Skids! ) I ordered through Home Depot App, and will do Store Pickup for free shipping! Cost for pair about $35. Cost for Ariens Polypropylene replacement Skids double that price!! I would go to HD and use Instant Chat just to be sure.Wouldnt want to STEER YOU IN WRONG DIRECTION...So to speak!
I hope the Armor Skids work out for you, regarding the Ariens Poly Skids they are $35/pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post

Does the Poly skids difference in ~traction~ make that much of a difference relative to Auto-Turn usability/experience
I have read on many posts that they do remedy Auto-Turn issues. They are also a lot wider than the stock steel shoes which helps them glide over imperfections that the stock skids would get caught up in and trigger Auto-Turn to kick in.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwilly49 View Post
Yeah right now it looks like the 2014-2015 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO takes the asc310 from Home Depot...so I'll give that a shot. I might also experiment with getting chains to sole the AutoTurn problem.

Thanks,
-mike-
post #10 of 25 Old 11-02-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post

Poly Skids didn't help me last Winter...still had AutoTurn problems... The question really is what triggers the AutoTurn to activate....that is what's causing many people's problems. There are more then a few terrain variables here..frame alignment and tire pressure ain't fixing the problem as many have found out.

-mike-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page