LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 35
Gasket number confirmation

I'm going to crack open the crankcase on an Ariens 910014 and swap in a cam for a friend because it is VERY hard to pull over when cold and I suspect the compression release is damaged. It's an original Tec 7hp but he can't find an engine model number on it. I found a 30684 cylinder cover gasket number with a generic search. Can I be pretty sure that's it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
You would need the numbers off the top of the engine to know which gasket to get. While you are looking around in there check the valve clearances. Also, it could be your engine is so old it doesn't have a compression release.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
You would need the numbers off the top of the engine to know which gasket to get. While you are looking around in there check the valve clearances. Also, it could be your engine is so old it doesn't have a compression release.
No Compression release? Uh Oh.... I didn't think of that. He looked but couldn't see numbers on it. I'm going to have him pick up that gasket on the way over and get a look at it today. Maybe this CR cam I have will fit if he doesn't have CR.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Success (so far)!!! I pulled the bucket off, drained the oil, pulled the belt, tensioner, pulley and governor linkage. I pulled the cylinder cover and the cam. The cam looked a little galled or cooked at the tips of the lobes. The compression release pin was slightly mushroomed. I put in the replacement cam and gave it a pull and it didn't seem much better (although the cover wasn't on). I felt with my finger there was slack in the cam followers. I measured them versus the ones I pulled out of the other engine and the others were very slightly longer so I used them. Bolted it all back together and it seems to have some compression release now and runs nice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page