LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-07-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Decided on the Hydro Pro 32

After the red team cancelled my HSS1332ATD on me and all of the uncertainty involved there.... I decided to go back and look at Ariens.

It looks like a Sherman tank with an indestructible snow spewing 420cc of power.

I feel good getting something even more American...

It also looks heavy as could be. I won't know for sure until it arrives. I looked at the 28 HP and decided I wanted something a little bigger.

Apparently, these are difficult to find too.... Something about a hard to find machine is appealing to me. I hope I am not making a mistake buying something on its way out.

Getting this thing in and out of the truck bed may be a struggle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice from someone who has one? Anything to look for?

Just thought I'd share my excitement.

This helped my decision too...

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Elt31987 thanked for this post
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
You made a good choice, this is a very durable, powerful and easy to use machine.

Best of luck with it!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Elt31987, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 11-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1891
Likes (Received): 670
congrats on the hydro pro 32 you just purchased

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
You will really like the Hyro Pro. I have the 28" and can work at full speed almost all the time because of the power to width ratio. Even at 32" you will be able to go at a fast pace. My only negative with the machine is reverse is too under-powered. It's still better than any friction wheel setup, but not what it should be. Since going forward is nearly unstoppable with the hyrdo, you can get into situations reverse can't get you out of. You won't like the 32" too much then and it can be a nightmare for track units. I haven't chopped a block of ice as in the video, but I have mistakenly chopped up a 4x4 no problem. Very impressive machine.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #5 of 18 Old 11-08-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhawg View Post
You will really like the Hyro Pro. I have the 28" and can work at full speed almost all the time because of the power to width ratio. Even at 32" you will be able to go at a fast pace. My only negative with the machine is reverse is too under-powered. It's still better than any friction wheel setup, but not what it should be. Since going forward is nearly unstoppable with the hyrdo, you can get into situations reverse can't get you out of. You won't like the 32" too much then and it can be a nightmare for track units. I haven't chopped a block of ice as in the video, but I have mistakenly chopped up a 4x4 no problem. Very impressive machine.
That's good to know. I shouldn't see too much insane snow, but needed something that can haul and not get bogged down on the curb. I'll be watching for the power in reverse.

Thanks
post #6 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
I bought the exact same model last year, it works like a champ.

The only issue (small issue) is holding down the drive leaver/handle, it gets a little taxing after some time, some others here have posted the same. I think its is has to do more with using the Hydro, you never really need to let up on the drive lever as you use the Hydro lever 99% of the time.

Its crazy giving the size of the thing how easy it is to control, kinda makes me think I should have got the 36" model! Was a little leery of the AutoTurn but its the best thing since sliced bread. Thought the chute control was a little funky to but so far so good.

When you get it you will noticed how well balanced it is, its so lite in the front. You are going to think there is no way this is not going to ride on top of the snow, it hangs tight no worries. With the AutoTurn and given how lite it is you can turn it around with one hand.

I also thought the handwarmers were some marketing gimmick, well I'm converted, a very nice touch.

Almost forgot the most important part, the power ratio is perfect, the motor just chugs along, it don't care how deep the snow is.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
Likes dddusn liked this post
post #7 of 18 Old 11-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 4
The dealers in my area all said Ariens has already sold out of the all the hydros and most of the pro units this year. I had to search for a dealer that had a hydro pro 28 in stock a few weekends ago. That dealer is backed up on assembling them. My delivery date is the 24th. I am afraid of the balance though, hope it doesnt ride up the bank like my 1997 824 deluxe did. Its also something i have not had issues with for a while now thanks to the powershift.

PS- on my way out after buying, i noticed a HSS928 on the floor. I didn't know honda did all those updates this year and i was/am second guessing my purchase.

2016 Ariens Pro Hydro 28
1999 Toro PowerShift 1232 - Great machine but its going up for sale.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
The dealers in my area all said Ariens has already sold out of the all the hydros and most of the pro units this year. I had to search for a dealer that had a hydro pro 28 in stock a few weekends ago. That dealer is backed up on assembling them. My delivery date is the 24th. I am afraid of the balance though, hope it doesnt ride up the bank like my 1997 824 deluxe did. Its also something i have not had issues with for a while now thanks to the powershift.

PS- on my way out after buying, i noticed a HSS928 on the floor. I didn't know honda did all those updates this year and i was/am second guessing my purchase.

It is a big purchase and of course you want to be happy/confident that you made a good choice. You will not regret buying that machine it is very powerful, well-built and will last for many years. It never hurts to add a weight kit I bought mine at Jackssmallengines.com they offer good selection and pricing.

Honda did make some major changes, there are currently some issues with the transmission, you can check this forum for details. They are both great machines but you will not be disappointed with your Hydro Pro 28 it is a beast and Ariens customer support is second to none.

All the best.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post

I've seen a few hydros on the floor around here in the last few months, but all but one are gone. I initially wanted the Honda line, but had my 1332 order cancelled and everybody acted like it would take an act of Congress to get one. The best date I could get was Dec. 18 and I don't trust it.

I find it interesting that you found one on the floor. The 32 wasn't easy to find either. Dealer acted like he called far and wide and I'm paying the freight to get it here. I don't share the fear on the balance, but we shall see.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddusn View Post
I find it interesting that you found one on the floor. The 32 wasn't easy to find either. Dealer acted like he called far and wide and I'm paying the freight to get it here. I don't share the fear on the balance, but we shall see.
Interesting that i found a Hydro pro? OR found a honda?

The dealer i ended up at happens to be a sub company of another. I cannot recall the name, but the parent company act as a regional distributor of ariens. I found that out from other sources.

As for the hss928. They buy them in bulk as well, however the only one they had on the floor had a big SOLD tag. Not sure what they had for inventory.

2016 Ariens Pro Hydro 28
1999 Toro PowerShift 1232 - Great machine but its going up for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page