LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-07-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New to forum

I have an Ariens snow thrower that I believe is from the early 1970's. Built very heavy duty. Is it worth repairing and keeping up or should I sell it?New to forum-image.jpg what might it be worth. I have added an electric start. It has new gears in the lower auger assembly. Last year I broke the shear pins in the main auger. Does anyone know if there is a roll pin used or something different. Between the back of the engine and the chute I can feel air displacement. Is the engine vented or is it a head gasket leak. The throttle cable seems to be a solid cable that seems to bind and throttles back if you are not holding it forward. I live in south central Wisconsin, 2 car driveway approximately 40 feet long. Are there still parts available? I just bought a cub cadet 3X 26HD. Would it be worth it to keep the Ariens & fix it for a backup or sell it.

Last edited by Hotpepper; 11-07-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 424
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
welcome to the forum Hp !! that machine is well worth keeping and using for many years to come. there is nothing made today that is as robust ! most parts are available new, other parts dont seem to be to hard to find.
i recently purchased a similar unit with a blown engine for $20. bought a new engine, new belt, freshened up the paint and added a couple of personal touches ( homemade drift cutter/ lightbar and battery powered led lights) i think this will be my main machine......and im only into for about $250.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Welcome to the forum Hotpepper.

My 2 cents, there are a lot of us that would rather have the machine you have now than a number of the new machines.
I for one have two older Ariens and I'm a firm believer they are well worth fixing up as they do a wonderful job of moving snow and they're built to last.

If you haven't seen this site yet it's very helpful. The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Like old John Deere equipment, Ariens still has most of the parts available to repair your blower as does Searspartsonline and a host of on line snowblower parts suppliers along with exploded diagrams.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
Thumbs up

Too new for me.

I would keep it as a backup.
It would make a nice restoration project.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Post the model and serial numbers and we can take a look at a parts diagram.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the replies. I plan on keeping the Ariens for a restoration project. My new blower did not come with engine oil. The person at the store added 30 weight oil. The instruction manual says to use a 5w30 oil and then after 5 hours of running to put in 0w30. Should I take out the straight 30 weight oil and put in a 5w30. Is the gas without ethanol better and do I still need an additive (stabilizer) if I use ethanol free gas?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 424
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
30 wt oil is a bit heavy for winter use, but your owners manual should state what oil to use for your outdoor temp range. gas without corn juice is much better , but you should still add stabilizer to ethanol free gas......and remember, not all stabilizers are created equal ! i use marine stabilizer and it seems to do the trick.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
On the straight 30, if you're just going to fire it up and let it run for a few hours you're likely ok but if you plan on putting those 5 hours on blowing snow I'd swap it now for 5W30 so it's easier to start if it gets cold.

Pure gas is best in trying to avoid carb problems. I recommend using stabilizer but it's not a necessity. I use Marine stabil on all my stuff.
Best thing IMHO is drain the gas and run the carb dry before storing it off season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page