post #1 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Advice on a newly acquired 10m5

Hello!
I'm brand new to this forum and am hoping to get some general advice on an Ariens 10m5 (1966 model I believe) that I recently acquired from a neighbor for a measly $100.

Before I get to my questions, I should say that the unit seems to be complete and works great. All I've done so far is replace the spark plug and engine oil and filled up the tank with fresh non-ethanol gas. She starts right up on the first or second pull and the thrower mechanism appears to function just fine. Having said that, there isn't any snow on the ground here in MN 'yet' so, I still haven't been able to give it a proper test.

I also have a new set of Snow Hog tires coming from Northern Tool because the ones currently on the unit are pretty sad.

This is my first 'vintage' snow blower as well as my first two-stage so I'm in unfamiliar territory. However, I consider myself a reasonably handy person with the right manuals and tools and have done fairly extensive work on various motorcycles over the years.

At this point, the questions I have all boil down to...
What do I need to do right now to ensure that this nearly 50-year-old blower is rock-solid and ready for whatever Mother Nature might throw at it this winter?

Eventually, I would love to put a little money into this unit and perform a full restoration but that's probably a project for next Summer at the earliest. For now, I just want to know that it's not going to fail me come January and February.

Thank you for any advice you are able to provide.

-Brian C.

Last edited by Barkingshins; 11-14-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
better stick some new belts on it. check the auger gear case to see if there is lube in there. tighten every bolt. . set the scraper blade. grease every thing up. grease the snot out of the axles. put winter air in the tires . ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 420
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
and get some proper shear pins !!!
post #4 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
[QUOTE=Barkingshins;746745]

What do I need to do right now to ensure that this nearly 50-year-old blower is rock-solid and ready for whatever Mother Nature might throw at it this winter?
QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum, Ok so for now you have a very nice workable unit but as mentioned in the previous post some verification and adding grease is in order: 1- remove the wheels to see if they're not seized on the axle and check if they are well greased.
2- remove the shear pins on both augers each side and you should be able to turn them freely if yes on both point 1 and 2 that means they were greased and you should thank the previous owner.
If not well on both points it doesn't stop you from using the unit but you will have to address these before you hit something with the auger and might destroy your gear case.
3-as mentioned by PowerShift verify your oil level on your gear case.
Please report back on those important issues and you can ask Shryp as he has much experience with this model.
Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 98
Looks like a great low hours blower.

Plus 2 for what has been advised. I'm not sure what tire size will replace those, any thing tire with a larger diameter will change the the wheel speed, and trust me first gear is not slow enough.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
[quote=Normex;746849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingshins View Post

QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum, Ok so for now you have a very nice workable unit but as mentioned in the previous post some verification and adding grease is in order: 1- remove the wheels to see if they're not seized on the axle and check if they are well greased.
2- remove the shear pins on both augers each side and you should be able to turn them freely if yes on both point 1 and 2 that means they were greased and you should thank the previous owner.
If not well on both points it doesn't stop you from using the unit but you will have to address these before you hit something with the auger and might destroy your gear case.
3-as mentioned by PowerShift verify your oil level on your gear case.
Please report back on those important issues and you can ask Shryp as he has much experience with this model.
Good Luck
I always forget about those BLOODY SHEER PINS on those machines.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 139
Likes (Received): 28
Plus 3 with everthing that's been said. I would also take a look inside the main body to look at the friction disc that drives the wheels, and clean off all the shafts in there that things lide on. Then put a very light film of grease on those shapts and gears/chains.

Don't get any of that slippery grease on the drive disc plate or the drive disc. I would use some brake cleaner to spray on the shafts to dissolve the grease, and then wipe it all clean.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnod View Post
Plus 3 with everthing that's been said. I would also take a look inside the main body to look at the friction disc that drives the wheels, and clean off all the shafts in there that things lide on. Then put a very light film of grease on those shapts and gears/chains.

Don't get any of that slippery grease on the drive disc plate or the drive disc. I would use some brake cleaner to spray on the shafts to dissolve the grease, and then wipe it all clean.
I did not comment on that area since I think it is gear driven but I could be all wrong which is why our expert resident Shryp can comment on the rest.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you very much for the replies! This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into it in the next day or two and I'll report back.

Thanks again!

-Brian C.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's another, more specific, question...

The original Ariens service manual for this unit specifies "Ariens premium gear lubricant MP-90" for the gear case on the blower unit. I did a little Googling on the subject and, as expected, that product appears to no longer exist. What would be an appropriate substitute?... preferably something that is readily available around town.

Thanks!
Brian C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page