Ariens 1336 Pro Rusty Engine Fastener Removal - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 2
Ariens 1336 Pro Rusty Engine Fastener Removal

I just purchased a used Arien's model 624517 1336 Pro snowblower with a Tecumseh Oh358sa 13hp engine. It is a bit rusty on top needs a new muffler. But while trying to remove the tiny heat shield screws, the tiny engine shroud screws and the 4 valve cover I am finding that they are all seemingly corroded into their holes. I was able to successfully remove three of the four OHV cover but one remains frozen. It's now somewhere between an 8mm and 9mm size. Virtually every one of the small screws seems to have the heads rounded. So a couple questions.

1) any tips or tricks on how to handle getting these out? I can't think this isn't a regular occurrence on these

2) Just what size are these screws and bolts? The small ones seem too big for 6mm but to small for 1/4". Why they would spec something that tiny for the conditions it's used in is beyond me. And the OHV bolts seems to be 9mm but I am not sure as they were standard thread replacement size.

This machine replaces a model ST1032, 924052 that I had rebuilt myself many years ago seems some much better built and I am regretting making the change. It's issues like this that make working on these so difficult for me anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 110
Run the engine till it is nice and hot. The block should expand at a faster rate than the screws and bolts. Spray your lube of choice. Don't forget to tighten and loosen bolt as you go along.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Once it's hot and you spray let it sit and cool as the cooling action will pull the penetrating fluid in. You might want to do it a couple times to try and get the stuff in there. Run it until you get the fluid to smoke a bit than shut it down and re-spray.

I ended up using a MAPP torch on my Kohler's headbolt and once out I understood why. At some point it must have been loose and it allowed water in. The bolt finally came out with a lot of careful spraying, heating and back and forth action but it definitely needed to be run through a die before going back in. Tapped all the holes too and blew them out with air before reassembly with a new gasket.
I recommend PB Blaster and likely a vice-grip to get the old stuff out and stainless steel for the replacements.

Please add a location to your profile.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 2
Well, definitely a better day today than yesterday. I was successful in extracting all those shittin' little 1/4" shroud screws. None broken was a victory. Got to do a nice car b cleaning which was very much needed. Now the question is whether to get new set of OEM replacements or replace with a more stout, higher quality fastener. I'll take a closer look at how much metal there is to work with if I can re-tap them a size bigger. Had to already do that for the belt cover bolts.

The OHV cover still has one stubborn one left. Soaking now. Was able to cut a a slot in it so it's my last hope before its ruined completely and will have to be drilled. Thinking an old school impact driver is the right tool. Not sure how to get any real heat on that one.

And there is another on top that was holding dome some bracket with a hole in it that snapped. However that part and hole do not look critical so I may move past that one.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
honestly at this point anything you do it will probably snap it so i would be prepared to drill and tap the hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page