2 piece impeller mod? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
2 piece impeller mod?

I just took my worn out toro rubber and cut it with heavy shears from harbor freight. Acquired #10 self tapping screws and noticed my ariens st1032 impeller has 6 veins. Originally I thought of using 4 pieces and space them evenly in hopes of keeping proper balance.

My question.... Has anyone used only 2? The impeller moves so incredibly fast I can't help but think it should do fine.
St1032 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wilmington, MA
Posts: 879
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
I'm "restoring" an ST1032 and had the same thought... although I was considering going with 3 thingys instead of 2.

My biggest concern is the way the impeller is put together with the vanes being so close together, it would be very hard to get a drill to the right place without tilting it. And of course if it's tilted, it'll walk all over the place.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
ELaw is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I removed the chute. This allowed me the room required.
St1032 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1032 View Post
I just took my worn out toro rubber and cut it with heavy shears from harbor freight. Acquired #10 self tapping screws and noticed my ariens st1032 impeller has 6 veins. Originally I thought of using 4 pieces and space them evenly in hopes of keeping proper balance.

My question.... Has anyone used only 2? The impeller moves so incredibly fast I can't help but think it should do fine.
2 is the absolute minimum
No really you are the one who will find out if 2 is enough. IMO I would consider at least 3 rubber mods to keep it balanced and have the best for the wet and slushy snow instances. If you choose to put 2 please report your findings here to us. Good Luck and thanks.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I've added only 2 on my 1964 ariens with 4hp engine with the idea of putting less pressure on engine. I also didn't use rubber but old conveyor belt material. Works fine. Increased throw and haven't noticed any issues with balance.
Nconroy1 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #6 of 9 Old 11-21-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
2 paddles worked great! My neighbor plugged his 2 stage machine up doing his driveway. I did my driveway and went 250ft to my other neighbors driveway and did theirs since they were out of town without any problems what so ever. What an incredible machine that ST1032!
St1032 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #7 of 9 Old 11-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,853
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4366
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroy1 View Post
I've added only 2 on my 1964 ariens with 4hp engine with the idea of putting less pressure on engine. I also didn't use rubber but old conveyor belt material. Works fine. Increased throw and haven't noticed any issues with balance.

It just depends on what you call "rubber". Using bailer belt is one of higher recommended materials and it's available at a lot of farm supply stores. I get mine at FleetFarm.

I tried using tire sidewall as I have a lot of tire for weighting down my pool cover but after fighting a razor knife through it I found the thickness varies. Not a lot, but it's noticeable. You could do it but the bailer belt was too cheap not to go that way instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower baler belt sales tag fleetfarm.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	63993   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower baler belt side view.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	64001   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow blower baler belt with fleetfarm tag.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	64009  

.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1032 View Post
2 paddles worked great! My neighbor plugged his 2 stage machine up doing his driveway. I did my driveway and went 250ft to my other neighbors driveway and did theirs since they were out of town without any problems what so ever. What an incredible machine that ST1032!
As long as your good results include wet and heavy snow also without clogging the chute. It would be a shame to almost restart from the beginning for the 3 rubber mod.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Farm fleet belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
It just depends on what you call "rubber". Using bailer belt is one of higher recommended materials and it's available at a lot of farm supply stores. I get mine at FleetFarm.

I tried using tire sidewall as I have a lot of tire for weighting down my pool cover but after fighting a razor knife through it I found the thickness varies. Not a lot, but it's noticeable. You could do it but the bailer belt was too cheap not to go that way instead.
I would have driven straight to farm and fleet had I known it was available there. The toro single stage paddle didn't cut well at all so I am confident of its durabilty.
St1032 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome