New Deluxe 28 SHO and I not off to a good start in our relationship - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 269
New Deluxe 28 SHO and I not off to a good start in our relationship

Well today I rented a pick up from Enterprise and drove 80+ miles to an Ariens dealer in Ft. Collins, Colorado to pick up my new Deluxe-28. Everything went fantastic at the dealer. Never a more professional and courteous owner and employees to deal with, and very knowledgeable of and proud to be selling Ariens products. Got her loaded up into the truck, brought her back down south, got her unloaded into my garage, and fired her up. She started on the first pull, and purred like a kitten. I was grinning ear to ear. Fast forward to this evening, when my brother came over and wanted to have a look at the new machine. I instructed him on how to start it, but when he pulled the pull cord back, the mechanism locked up and the rope wont retract. Uggh. I've tried yanking it a few times and can't get the retractor to engage. Something broke or is locked up. Never had this happen before. So now I gotta hope that Ariens will help me out here and I can get one of my local dealers to come fix it seeing how the dealer I purchased it from is 80+ miles away and I've already spent $70 today for the truck rental.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks osrental thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
That sucks...

The good news is it does not sound like something that can not be easily fixed. Recoil starts are very straight forward. You should not have to fix something that is brand new, but if you want to see if it is something simple you can pull the recoil assembly off the motor. It is three bolts at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the recoil assembly.

Probably Ariens or the dealer can send you a new recoil. They just bolt on...

Ariens Platinum 30
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuofsci02 View Post
The good news is it does not sound like something that can not be easily fixed. Recoil starts are very straight forward. You should not have to fix something that is brand new, but if you want to see if it is something simple you can pull the recoil assembly off the motor. It is three bolts at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the recoil assembly.
Probably Ariens or the dealer can send you a new recoil. They just bolt on...
+1 with this good response and maybe your dealer can tell how to check your recoil as it is quite simple. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Reach out to Mary Lyn of Ariens. She is on this forum. Get her your model and serial number and she should be able to help you out. Maybe even a photo of the issue will help her on her end.

If you need help reaching her, click on my detail's to the left of this post, that will take you to my detail. On the right had side under "friends" will be Ariens. Click that and that will take you to the page where you can send Mary Lyn a PM.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #5 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Or you can post the problem here:

Ariens - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
I have a "friend" like that. No matter how good, reliable, nor how many times I've used any particular tool, mechanical gadget or electronic device successfully the minute this friend attempts the same....FAIL.

It's just unreal how often that happens, in so many ways. While it would probably be easier on my sanity to just dismiss this person as a friend, I've been married to her for 35 years and at this point it's me who is the "lost cause." Besides, I'm too old to give her half my stuff and start over.

Back on topic, Ariens will make good on this. Their customer support is exemplary for any industry.

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-22-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
I have a "friend" like that. No matter how good, reliable, nor how many times I've used any particular tool, mechanical gadget or electronic device successfully the minute this friend attempts the same....FAIL.

It's just unreal how often that happens, in so many ways. While it would probably be easier on my sanity to just dismiss this person as a friend, I've been married to her for 35 years and at this point it's me who is the "lost cause." Besides, I'm too old to give her half my stuff and start over.

Back on topic, Ariens will make good on this. Their customer support is exemplary for any industry.
****... That was funny.. Well done friend!

Ariens Platinum 30

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-22-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PixMan thanked for this post
post #8 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 15
Did they start the snowblower at the dealership where you bought it?
pull rope or electric start? Did you or anyone check the oil level?
Have you tried to start it with the electric start and if so I would run it for a few second's shut it off and try the recoil again. Thinking the running of the engine might loosen the stuck recoil. Oil level would be first on the list
than I would pull the re-coil off but that's ME! Your brand new machine
should not have these issues but if your dealer is replacing or fixing yours ASAP than maybe just wait for them to deal with it.

Ariens deluxe 28
Ariens 927le
ariens self propelled mower
post #9 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 269
Thanks everyone. I did start it with the electric start last night and no problems there. The dealer ran the machine, filled the fuel tank, and oil level checked out great when I was up there, and again, I started it once when I got it home yesterday afternoon, with no issues at all, it ran fine when I pulled it, and recoiled just fine. I'll give Ariens a call tomorrow to see how they want me to proceed. I need to read thru the manual and get up to speed as to how the warranty stuff is taken care of.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
If it was my brand new machine under warranty I'd pull the recoil off to see if there's anything to see. I always hope it's something easy and it'd keep me from having to drag it back to a dealer and leave it for x number of days.
Just depends on how comfortable you are taking it off.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page