Friction Disc issue? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Friction Disc issue?

So I have maybe 20 hrs on a new Platinum 30 I bought Jan 2015. Opened up the bottom pan tonight to get things ready for this yr and this is what I find.

I know some friction disc wear and rubber dust/fragments is normal but to me this is excessive for 20 hrs. Plus the surface of the disc is not worn equally across the surface.

Thoughts? Is this excessive (and should take back to dealer for warranty)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	64161  
Dpach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpach View Post
So I have maybe 20 hrs on a new Platinum 30 I bought Jan 2015. Opened up the bottom pan tonight to get things ready for this yr and this is what I find.

I know some friction disc wear and rubber dust/fragments is normal but to me this is excessive for 20 hrs. Plus the surface of the disc is not worn equally across the surface.

Thoughts? Is this excessive (and should take back to dealer for warranty)?
Is it possible some oil or very little grease dropped on the disc wheel or even water as the wheel portion seems dirty with either I mentioned before.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
post #3 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Me i have a 2012 platinum 30 and did the same thing. I have this black rubber powder Every year when i made the maintenance. i think it's probably normal. Maybe the belt make some too.
4 winter and the disc is top shape.
po_the_drum is offline  
post #4 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Is it possible some oil or very little grease dropped on the disc wheel or even water as the wheel portion seems dirty with either I mentioned before.
Could be possible as the gears had quite a bit of grease on them. The dealer really greased it; perhaps too much.

I guess my main concern is whether I should load this up and see if warranty will replace the disc or will the disc settle in now that it is broke in?
Dpach is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Those disks are worth around $35.00 plus the trouble for install so it is up to you, did it feel like it was lurching when engaged in forward or rear?
My guess is that the warranty won't cover this since it is a wear item but ask your dealer what he thinks after all it is his fault. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
post #6 of 50 Old 11-23-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Runs and drives just fine. There's no issues with the drive/movement. Since I have 2 more yrs warranty (and likely not covered as a wear item), will probably use it and check every month or so through the snow season (if we get any again this year).
Dpach is offline  
post #7 of 50 Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Had the same issue on mine with no operational issues.
Cleaned the disc and general area but have yet to do it this year however i expect to find the same thing as you posted.
The disc had some thin rubber ring around it from manuf. of it and i assumed that it is that which has worn off?
Still no ops issues with one use this year......might give Ariens a call just to be sure?
I had to adjust the tension on the engagement and thought maybe it was too tight but it was definitely too loose before.
AverageJoe is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 11-24-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 33
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Had the same issue on mine with no operational issues.
Cleaned the disc and general area but have yet to do it this year however i expect to find the same thing as you posted.
The disc had some thin rubber ring around it from manuf. of it and i assumed that it is that which has worn off?
Still no ops issues with one use this year......might give Ariens a call just to be sure?
I had to adjust the tension on the engagement and thought maybe it was too tight but it was definitely too loose before.
Yeah, I will take a rag with some gasoline and clean the drive plate and disc to remove any residual grease/oil since they really greased this thing when they put it together. I should have opened her up when I got it home and wiped off the excess grease but I thought a reputable Arien's dealer would have known not to over grease things. Oh well. Friction discs are not hard to replace on these machines and not too expensive. Will run it a second year and just check it a couple times through the winter. I will also check the engagement tension too.
Dpach is offline  
post #9 of 50 Old 11-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 64
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
Looks normal. One of the reasons I went with a hydro machine was because the friction disc was always wearing quickly no matter how well I maintained it. Any resistance at all will cause it to slip, hence the debris. Even working a snowbank is high stress for a friction disc. The system works well for moderate residential use for the most part, but it is not robust by any means. I don't miss it, that's for sure.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Snowhawg is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpach View Post
Runs and drives just fine. There's no issues with the drive/movement. Since I have 2 more yrs warranty (and likely not covered as a wear item), will probably use it and check every month or so through the snow season (if we get any again this year).
Just to be sure check if it is a warranty item with your dealer and if not I would buy a spare one for when you might need it just before a storm.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome