So many Ariens, feel like I'm lost in a forest - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 78
So many Ariens, feel like I'm lost in a forest

My trustworthy 30 or is it 32" Bolens I believe is knocking on the junk man's door. Too bad parts for it are unavailable. But to my dilemma.

I really want to replace my Bolens with a 30 or 32" new machine, currently I'm thinking Ariens although nothing is cast in iron .....yet. There are so many models I am having trouble sorting them out. For instance, Snowblower Direct has an Ariens Platinum 30 with a 414cc engine, model 921040 for $1800 thereabouts.

Home Depot offers a Professional Series 32" model 926039 for $2500. Both of these machines seem to offer identical amenities. Also both had a disc drive system rather than the hydraulics such as seen on a 28" for even more bucks.

Maybe Ariens is being tooo cute and just maybe I should look at something else now that it seems everything is made in China. I forgot the name of something with a 3 letter name but gees, their machines seem as though they are ready to work with excavators. One of them has 4 wheels, two side by side on each side. And that is for less than $2K.

Ideas???

Thanks-

Foggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
Foggy,

I am not sure what your budget for the new machine is but based on the ones you are looking at it seems like it will buy you a high quality machine. Ariens is a good choice. Regarding the difference between the Platinum series and the Pro series there are differences beyond the features. The Pro series is a heavier duty machine it adds: a taller intake height 23.5", heavier gauge steel auger side panels, a Briggs engine with a much larger fuel tank, a 16" auger instead of 14", a boron steel shave plate and heavier skid shoes. If you want the hydro trans you can usually get the Pro 28 Hydro from a dealer for about $2500. If they still have one available, 32" Hydros are also available at a higher price.

Ariens is a family owned American company and their snowblowers are made in America, though like all snowblower manufacturers today their engines are manufactured in China whether Briggs or LCT which are both quality engines.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Ariens Company thanked for this post
Likes Snowhawg, Loco-diablo liked this post
post #3 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
Have you considered a Honda HSS1332AT/ATD....?
post #4 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Maybe Ariens is being tooo cute and just maybe I should look at something else now that it seems everything is made in China. I forgot the name of something with a 3 letter name but gees, their machines seem as though they are ready to work with excavators. One of them has 4 wheels, two side by side on each side. And that is for less than $2K.
As others have indicated, the good brands of snowblower are not made in China. Ariens and Toro are made in the USA as they always have been, and Honda is making them here as of this year (formerly they were made in Japan).

There does seem to be a new crop of machines made in China, that match the description you gave. Four wheels, large sizes, lots of features at amazingly low prices. They also seem to feature amazingly low quality... find a make and model and Google it and see all the lousy reviews they get. I'm not sure I'd take one of those if it were offered for free...

I'm with ya on the confusing Ariens lineup though. I wish they had a little "for dummies" thing that explained the differences between the models in a concise fashion.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Last edited by ELaw; 12-01-2015 at 08:06 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys for your replies! I am going to attempt one last rescue for my Bolen; just hate to part with an old reliable friend.

Here in Massachusetts we always get plenty of snow every season and I must be prepared. Almost 30 years ago when I purchased the Bolen, I wanted reliability, not junk. So if this one last effort on my part fails, then there is going to be a new machine promptly parked in its place.

I do want quality and am prepared to pay for it. The greatest thing previously offerred by Bolen.....and I think John Deere also was the differential that allowed sharp turns to be made effortlessly. And by the way, even they screwed up with that design. Some years ago when mine started giving problems I pulled the differential apart. there was only dried up grease and corrosion packed into the innards. I cleaned it up, added a zerk fitting and pumped it full of grease. I believe the lack of a 10 cent grease fitting along with a maintenance warning would have salvaged that design.

Arien's method of making turns is the best I have seen since the older differential was first implemented. But it is a new design, lets see how it stands the tests of time and weather.

The cheapos from China! China manufacturers like manufacturers everywhere can make decent products although their marketing appears to only target the low end market. I have not read anything positive about the impressive DEK blower. Think Harbor Freight. Some of the things I purchased there are great. Other things are junk.

More later on the Bolen although even if I can get it to limp along, I am closer to replacing it.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Foggy,

I am not sure what your budget for the new machine is but based on the ones you are looking at it seems like it will buy you a high quality machine. Ariens is a good choice. Regarding the difference between the Platinum series and the Pro series there are differences beyond the features. The Pro series is a heavier duty machine it adds: a taller intake height 23.5", heavier gauge steel auger side panels, a Briggs engine with a much larger fuel tank, a 16" auger instead of 14", a boron steel shave plate and heavier skid shoes. If you want the hydro trans you can usually get the Pro 28 Hydro from a dealer for about $2500. If they still have one available, 32" Hydros are also available at a higher price.

Ariens is a family owned American company and their snowblowers are made in America, though like all snowblower manufacturers today their engines are manufactured in China whether Briggs or LCT which are both quality engines.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose!
Great summary. If you have the choice of a Hydro 28 or regular 32 for the same price, get the hydro. Once you go hydro you don't go back. Also with 28" and the biggest engine available you can go at a faster pace than the larger size and have greater maneuverability and easier handling.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cardo111 thanked for this post
post #7 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post

I'm with ya on the confusing Ariens lineup though. I wish they had a little "for dummies" thing that explained the differences between the models in a concise fashion.
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. For the 2015-2016 season, our team took a hard look at our model mix and was able to reduce the number of models in the Ariens Sno-Thro line. This allows our factory to focus on the highest volume and best-selling models in order to better take care of our customers. We heard your comments and as always appreciate your feedback.

We also have a "Snow Blower Selector" on our website that will help you compare our models. You select your type of use, clearing width and amenities first. Then you can click on "Select to Compare" on the units you are interested in to see a side by side comparison of their features.

If you still have questions, you can contact your local Ariens Dealer or send me a message and I can help you as well.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Elt31987 thanked for this post
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
post #8 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
If you're going to be tossing in the towel on the Bolens don't hesitate to toss it up on Craigslist as there are folks out there who would love to try and get it back on it's feet again. Also gives you some $$ to put towards the new machine.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Loco-diablo liked this post
post #9 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 930
The current Ariens catalog, that lists model specs, is here:

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/Document...%20Catalog.pdf

when you click on that link, it will download the .pdf file to your computer.
or you can right-click on the link, and choose "save link as" to choose the destination directory.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Question on the 28" Hydro........does Ariens provide zerk fittings on the augurs for pumping lubrication into the void between the augur drive shaft and the augur assembly????

I just watched a video about a Honda gear box failure caused by frozen (rust) build up in the space between the shafts. The frozen augur shaft/drive shaft prevented the shear bolts from saving the gear box. Further, the mechanic in the video strongly recommended that owners make sure there proper lubrication is provided to prevent such an occurrence EVEN IF THE OWNER HAS TO DISASSEMBLE THE ENTIRE AUGUR UNIT.

That would be a major task far and above what I believe an owner's responsibility is especially when zerk fittings are in the 10 cent price range.

I HAVE RULED OUT HONDA!!!

Last edited by foggysail; 12-01-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page