LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
Track model questions

Looking at the Platinum 28 SHO Track model. A few questions. How well does the auto turn work with tracks? I've read all about proper adjustment, etc, but what about with tracks. Will the extra traction cause issues when trying to go alongside the snowbanks along the street? How well does it move when not running? How many positions can you set the adjustable bucket height to? Not looking to start a tracks vs wheels debate, so please don't turn ot into that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorchris View Post
Looking at the Platinum 28 SHO Track model. A few questions. How well does the auto turn work with tracks? I've read all about proper adjustment, etc, but what about with tracks. Will the extra traction cause issues when trying to go alongside the snowbanks along the street? How well does it move when not running? How many positions can you set the adjustable bucket height to? Not looking to start a tracks vs wheels debate, so please don't turn ot into that. Thanks
I used a Hydro Pro 32 track briefly about 2 years ago. I was not able to move it with the transmission "unlocked" on concrete. I'm willing to bet the model you are looking at is much lighter though. The auto turn works good. And if I remember correctly, there were (3) height adjustments.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2015, 03:38 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
You're asking about the virtues of tracks so I don't know how to respond without doing "Not looking to start a tracks vs wheels debate, so please don't turn it into that" as you ask.
IMHO, tracks are overkill. I have a tracked unit, an Ariens Pro, that is very difficult to maneuver when in use and impossible to move when shut down. Several of my neighbors have wheeled units that handle the step hills (the reason I bought tracks) in our area just as well as my (much more expensive) tracks.. Save your back and some cash. Get a wheeled unit.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
You're asking about the virtues of tracks so I don't know how to respond without doing "Not looking to start a tracks vs wheels debate, so please don't turn it into that" as you ask.
IMHO, tracks are overkill. I have a tracked unit, an Ariens Pro, that is very difficult to maneuver when in use and impossible to move when shut down. Several of my neighbors have wheeled units that handle the step hills (the reason I bought tracks) in our area just as well as my (much more expensive) tracks.. Save your back and some cash. Get a wheeled unit.
I ask because I was originally looking at the new HSS92ATD tracked Honda. I got to see one of these mythical unicorns at a dealer in September. I was able to move and turn it easily by pulling both power steering levers. That removed a big negative I had heard about tracks. It turned pretty well using those levers to maneuver when running. Works for me. My main reason for wanting tracks isn't traction for steep inclines. It's the ability to adjust the bucket height. I have to clear a path across the lawn for the oil guy to fill the tank, a path to the shed, an area for the dog to run around, and to clear off the deck. Setting the bucket 1" above the ground means I won't have to wrestle the machine the whole time. I found a video that said the Ariens has 5 settings for bucket height. That should work. If it was only 3, it wouldn't work for that. It would be lowest setting for down pressure, regular setting, and travel height, bot enough.
So perhaps I'm more comparing a Honda to an Ariens, but that's opening a whole different can of worms. That is why I am aski g specifically the questions about features that are important to me rether than a generic tracks vs wheels.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 06:52 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Raptorchris said...". I have to clear a path across the lawn for the oil guy to fill the tank, a path to the shed, an area for the dog to run around, and to clear off the deck. Setting the bucket 1" above the ground means I won't have to wrestle the machine the whole time".

If that is the case maybe tracks are the answer for you. My Pro, it's 4 years old or so, and indeed has a simple lever to pull that sets the bucket at an idea height to remove snow from a lawn without trashing the lawn. It would work perfectly for that. I can't speak to wheeled machines but they may have the same feature.
That said I'd have to ask what percentage of the work you do is going to be on the lawn? As you may have noticed I feel strongly that I made a poor choice. You moved the Honda (a machine that I think may be slightly better that the Ariens) easily. Move a wheeled machine and I think you'll find the wheels much easier to move around. Take that difference and multiply it by the amount of time you will be working and it becomes significant.
I think most of folks that read this forum enjoy getting outside and working. I am certainly one of those folks but my pleasure is tempered by the fact that all the time I am working the nagging feeing that I made a poor choice diminishing that pleasure.
I think the choice of wheels vs. tracks is much more important than the make or model of the machine you buy. Give it the thought the choice demands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page