LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Differential repair.

Have a 926004 pro that is about 8-10 years old. Bought it as a 2 year old used model off craigslist. The second time I went to use it the coil went bad, probably a fluke.

More a less been a good machine except the differential started giving me issues when it was 4 years old. I have the trigger style that locks when you pull the lever. It became difficult to pull the lever and when it did work it would not disengage immediately. This was an issue when trying to turn the machine with the wheels locked.

When I tore it down I discovered the coil spring inside the differential had rusted and was jamming the diff from engaging until the machine warmed up enough to allow some movement. Since the spring was pretty much gone it would not unlock the diff. Likely my fault due to my total lack of maintenance.

Once I discovered the replacement cost was over $150 I modified the diff so it could not lock. Most of the time this worked out fine but the last two winters of heavy snowfall have made me revisit the needed repair. To lock out the diff I used a piece of 1" copper tubing about 1/2" long. This gets sandwiched between the side gears of the diff in place of the spring. You will also need to shorten the plastic tube about a 1/4" before reassembling.

I have since purchased a new diff 52601600 at a cost of $132 and an additional $10 for the plastic axle tube I had modified at the time. Everything greased up and adjusted for this winter.

I have since found a supplier of the spring, made out of stainless steel, to repair my original diff. Just need to get some rivets to hold the diff together, or I will use 3/16" threaded rod and nuts like I did before with the heads ground down almost flush for clearance. The springs cost $12 each when ordered in quantities of 10 or more from Lee Spring, less than 10 they surcharge $20. So I bought 3 at a cost of $56 including tax/shipping.

If anyone needs a spring to repair a differential or would like to purchase my repaired unit, send me a PM. I have two extra springs too if you want to repair your own diff.

After some additional research here I see Ariens offer a retro-fit kits, 72600900/72601300. Here are the instruction sheets for both retro-fit kits.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/18400400.PDF ARIENS KIT 72600900
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/18400700.PDF ARIENS KIT 72601300

Last edited by fox12303; 12-14-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 4 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman, Kiss4aFrog, NW2009, Grunt thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman, NW2009 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4364
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
Welcome to the forum Fox

Any chance you have any photos of your differential overhaul/modification ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
I have 2010 Deluxe 27 (921012) with the trigger wheel lock. It worked fine for the first 5 years, but gave me problems last year being that I unlocked it to spin the machine around, then it wouldn't re-engage back to 2 wheel drive. 2 wheel drive is a MUST when using this machine for 2 reasons. #1: it pulls to one side when only one wheel is engaged. #2: Forget going through compact or wet heavy snow with one wheel drive.
I went to the dealer and bought a new trigger/cable. I cleaned up the gears, installed and adjusted the new cable which remedied the problem for a while. It started giving me problems again at the end of the snow season (march). I was tired of messing with it, so I brought it in for service. It needed a new friction disc amongst other things and I just didn't feel like doing it myself as it was a long Massachusetts winter and I was over it. I got the machine home and everything appears to be good with the trigger lock and friction disc but I really haven't used it since it didn't snow after the service.
The trigger lock is bad design IMO. When it goes bad, you're screwed in a big storm.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Pics of the repaired diff. Pics of the assembled unit below shown to illustrate how the screw head is clearance and the nuts staked in place so they can not come loose. The screw head side is the outboard side when installed.

Last edited by fox12303; 12-14-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 15 Old 12-14-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Posted album link for repair photos and updated earlier posts with pics and details from Ariens.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...al-repair.html

Last edited by fox12303; 12-14-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #6 of 15 Old 12-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 3
I had a pro 12/36 inch cut ariens here that i sold..i got so mad it that stuipid trigger lock and one wheel design i welded the whole **** thing shut..LOL..nothing and i mean nothing...is worse than a one wheel drive snowblower
post #7 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens differential repair.

Tried to send you a private message, hoping you still have a spring to sell. All the work you did gives me hope my purchase was not a waste of money. My physical condition makes it all but impossible to use this machine since the differential apparently has part of a spring stuck in one of the gears, preventing machine from be rotated. If you get this message please give me a call on my cell (518) 878-1779. Thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 12:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 10
Does anyone know the dimensions of this spring? ID, OD, Height?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4364
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
to the forum NW2009

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-20-2016, 10:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi, I would like to buy a spring if you still have one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page