Snowblower Forum banner

Inclined paver driveway and auto turn?

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Town 
#1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm thinking about getting one of the better Ariens models but concerned that my driveway (not very steep but still...) with pavers will be problematic with auto-turn. What do you think?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Auto turn seems to be such a hotly debated topic - it works for others, some have used it and are completely turned off. I considered the 24 SHO but with enough ~complaints/issues~ with Auto Turn when I looked into it, it was enough that steered me away from the Ariens FWIW.

It's subjective I suppose, like anything in life....

#3 · (Edited)
I have roots and boulders sticking up all over the place from the previous property owners plowing my dirt drive for yrs..it's really a mess
don't have an issue with the auto turn...I had a more of an issue with the scraper bar grabbing everything...solved that by putting it up as high as it goes ..then sandwiched a 3 inch wide piece of baler belt between the scraper bar and body to act as a squeegee..goes over all that junk..and works pretty well ..I'd be more worried about gouging up your pavers, and any machine has that potential... that's an easy fix by using plastic skids

#6 ·
Clay, natural stone, or concrete pavers ?

Laid in a herringbone pattern ? Most resistant to the twisting motion of turning tires.

Permeable installation with wide joints or traditional with a maximum 1/8" wide joint ?

Installed properly according to ICPI and/or BIA standards ?

#7 ·
One thing that I have done on one for a client with a stamped drive is to cut out some UHMW sheets and use those for the skids and cuting edge. Worth the fabrication time. This is the best place to get it: https://www.interstateplastics.com/Uhmw-Black-Reprocessed-Sheet-UHMBR~~SH.php?vid=201512031459-8p

I have seen one that a guy rigged up casters in place of the shoes and had a brush unit rather than an auger. He says if he gets at it before it gets deeper than 3" or so it does great. He had exposed aggreagate to worry about.....

#8 ·
You will not have any trouble at all. The tires have great traction and both are driven so slippery surface is not a concern. The Auto-Turn smoothly handles all manoeuvres easily and there is no sideways unexpected movement. The plastic skids ride easily over any surface.

I do one driveway that is all pavers with a turn and paver walkway and another that is partly pavers with a turn and paver walkway. My dealer recommended the Ariens plastic skids to prevent marking the pavers, so that is what I have. These driveways are no problem for my Platinum 30 SHO. Performance is just like on the two smooth paved asphalt driveways. Auto-turn works perfectly on these and also on two much less smooth driveways. No marks anywhere on these driveways, and no unexpected sideways movements, even when negotiating around several trucks on a 36 ft wide driveway.

My dealer set up my machine with the plastic skids and 1/8" clearance to the scraper bar (no need to loosen bucket bolts) and it all works perfectly. Due to slight wear on the skid shoes I reset the scraper bar clearance to 1/8" this fall.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.