post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1971 H70 starter issue

I have been rebuilding a 71 H70 that I obtained a few years ago. Today I took it out for the first snowfall. Had it started. Running pretty well. Then it stalled. So went to restart it and the starter just sounded like it was grinding and spinning on the flywheel. So I pulled the flywheel cover and to take a look. The teeth looked a little worn on the starter gear, but not broken. I then engaged the starter too see what was happening. It appears the starter gear just rubs on the flywheel but won't turn it. It appears the spindle that holds the starter gear is a little wobbly. Is that normal. Or should that be firm? Do I need a new starter? New gear? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
I meant the shaft is a bit wobbly, not the spindle. Is the shaft supposed to be stiff?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
A pic of the gears. How do they look? That # is stamped on the starter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151230_012338_1451456749012.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	69866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151230_012428_1451456783644.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	69874  
post #4 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
Maybe it's just the photo but the ring gear the starter is supposed to engage looks like it's bent in at the bottom of the photo.

If you rotate the engine does the ring gear stay the exact same distance from the starter gear through out a complete revolution ??

Have you cleaned & lubricated the shaft the gear slides on ??

The shaft itself shouldn't wobble. If it does then it's likely one of the support bearings in the starter is going out. The gear itself will have a little wiggle on the starter shaft.

Youtube show and tell: https://www.google.com/#q=donyboy73+starter+diag

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
Not sure the ring gear is bent. How would that happen? When I extend the shaft (as if to engage the starter) it appears there gear / shaft has play in it. Enough play that it can barely make contact with the ring / flywheel gear. You can wobble gear / shaft either towards or away from the ring gear. Is that a sign of a bad bearing? Can that be fixed? Or do I need to replace the starter?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
I have been rebuilding a 71 H70 that I obtained a few years ago. Today I took it out for the first snowfall. Had it started. Running pretty well. Then it stalled. So went to restart it and the starter just sounded like it was grinding and spinning on the flywheel. So I pulled the flywheel cover and to take a look. The teeth looked a little worn on the starter gear, but not broken. I then engaged the starter too see what was happening. It appears the starter gear just rubs on the flywheel but won't turn it. It appears the spindle that holds the starter gear is a little wobbly. Is that normal. Or should that be firm? Do I need a new starter? New gear? Any help would be appreciated.
I agree with KaF; flywheel seems out-of-sorts.

Check to make sure the flywheel is still secured & torqued to spec (and the key isn't sheared if it is loose); ...perhaps the reason behind the stalling.

EDIT: Looking closer, the flywheel seems true to the block & the ring-gear looks twisted as KaF pointed out (sorry for the redundancy!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 12-30-2015 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
Is it possible that the flywheel is loose? What would cause alignment issue? May also be the reason the the pull start is next to impossible to pull. The stall issue was because I rep!aced the carb after a failed rebuild attempt. And the spring for the governor popped off. I increased the speed under load and it stalled. Unrelated. Would the flywheel issue damage the starter. Like I sid the shaft is not wobbly. And can easily be pulled away (side to side) from the flywheel when engaged. How do I fix the flywheel besides tightening it?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1177
go back in there and make sure that flywheel is tight on the engine. from looking at the pics. that wheel was all wonky. the teeth on the starter gear probely go dinged up trying to start it. are the teeth nylon gears if so they will be fine. I have seen worse. keep us posted.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1177
post a vid of this situation here also.. because dummy's like me need them to figure out things.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
KMR

Post Thanks / Like
The blower is actually at my family lake house. Won't be back there till next Friday. Trying to come up with a game plan and parts before hand. If there shaft is wobbly. What do I do about that? Bushings? New starter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page