LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
ariens 13 hp Pro

I have a 5 year old Ariens 13hp pro nice machine. Last year drive belt came off and now comes off all the time why? Happens mostly now when I disengage the drive or letting go of power to wheels.
I did get a phone book caught in the chute and stopped it dead! I finally got it out. Maybe belt could have stretched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
stick a new belt on there. and adjust to specs.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks I have put the belt back on a few times. Just confused on specs as What adjustment is there? I see cable adjustment? How far should drive belt pully be away from idler pully ect.. when disengaged? I see the belt on a angle when disenged but even when I engage it . It cames off when I let go of drive system? Read maybe pully bent wobbbel but I dougbt it?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
stick a new belt on there. and adjust to specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
thanks I have put the belt back on a few times. Just confused on specs as What adjustment is there? I see cable adjustment? How far should drive belt pully be away from idler pully ect.. when disengaged? I see the belt on a angle when disenged but even when I engage it . It cames off when I let go of drive system? Read maybe pully bent wobbbel but I dougbt it?

post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
This may help. I have a similar model I believe.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/03882900D_ENG.pdf
post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
I would also check pulley alignment and trueness to the crankshaft.

I would also ensure that all the engine mounts bolts are tight, and have not allowed the engine to shift.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I have a 5 year old Ariens 13hp pro nice machine. Last year drive belt came off and now comes off all the time why? Happens mostly now when I disengage the drive or letting go of power to wheels.
I did get a phone book caught in the chute and stopped it dead! I finally got it out. Maybe belt could have stretched?
Is that the drive belt for the wheel/track drive or the auger/impeller drive?

I think I remember a video suggesting an Ariens kit to convert to double auger belts. The same video pointed out an Ariens fix for the wheel drive belt coming off. The belt is aligned with the drive plate pulley when in drive but the pulley moves out of alignment when the clutch is released. The fix is to reduce the amount of movement on the drive plate pulley.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Is that the drive belt for the wheel/track drive or the auger/impeller drive?

I think I remember a video suggesting an Ariens kit to convert to double auger belts. The same video pointed out an Ariens fix for the wheel drive belt coming off. The belt is aligned with the drive plate pulley when in drive but the pulley moves out of alignment when the clutch is released. The fix is to reduce the amount of movement on the drive plate pulley.

Good luck.
Here is the video that sjm1027 posted in post #28 in this thread: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...26005-a-3.html regarding a similar sounding problem on a 926.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
I left you a Private message.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Hi Winter,

If your problem is the wheel drive belt then this is what I got from the video at the 9 min mark:

1. The belt and drive plate are aligned when clutch is engaged but the drive plate moves forward (toward the auger) when the clutch is released and is out of alignment enough to cause the belt to come off the pulley(s) if there is any debris on the belt.
2. The Ariens suggested solution is to restrict the forward movement of the drive plate by increasing the diameter of the threaded bolt used as a stop.
3. The threaded bolt is on the left frame just forward of the clutch return spring mounting on the driven plate assembly.
4. To increase the diameter of the threaded bolt you need to cut an inch of rubber fuel line to fit over this threaded piece to restrict movement of the plate by 1/4" approximately. Don't go longer than 1 inch or you will reduce free play too much.
5. Secure the hose with a tie wrap close to the metal side body frame so that it does not further restrict drive plate movement.
6. Make sure the clutch has enough free play to maintain neutral with the clutch released.
7. It appears you may be able to do this mod with the belt cover removed and the bucket in place. But the video has the bucket removed so just check it out.

I sent you a PM based upon your request for info. Hope this helps, good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page