old sno thro, this cant be right ?! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
old sno thro, this cant be right ?!

was just out cleaning the snow out of the bucket and impeller area before it freezes solid, and i notice that i can move the impeller and shaft forward and back a good inch! that cant be ok? the machine worked great, but i did notice a clanging sound now and then. whats the most probable cause.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Most likely the impeller bearing is toasted. Sometimes if operated too long after the bearing is past its usefull life, it will come apart and allow the shaft to move freely. Do not operate the machine if this is the case. Further damage will result. Or it has come free from the pulley due to sheared key way and screw.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gsnod thanked for this post
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilateen02 View Post
Most likely the impeller bearing is toasted. Sometimes if operated too long after the bearing is past its usefull life, it will come apart and allow the shaft to move freely. Do not operate the machine if this is the case. Further damage will result. Or it has come free from the pulley due to sheared key way and screw.
havent pulled it apart yet, but it worked well, other than the occasional clanking sound. on a side note, how can i i.d. parts for this old girl ? i looked in the sticky here, but the exploded view is to tiny for my old eyes!! the attachment is a 7-10m 147587, i believe the machine is a 1967 if the blown 4hp tech was original. any help would be greatly appreciated as i would like to order the right parts to completely overhaul the attachment and a new friction wheel.

thanks in advance.
Tim

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

Last edited by nwcove; 01-05-2016 at 06:23 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 19
serial number? pictures? model?
these guys are good but they need info
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
as mentioned, the attachment is a 7-10m 147587. i didnt have time to tear into it yet, but did have a closer look, the shaft does not move, the impeller moves on the shaft, after a few movements back and forth, now the impeller just spins freely on the shaft. from what i can see looking at an exploded view of a slightly different ( newer ?) model, it appears the impeller is held on the shaft with one, maybe two roll pins ? 1/4" x1 1/4 " ?

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
as mentioned, the attachment is a 7-10m 147587. i didnt have time to tear into it yet, but did have a closer look, the shaft does not move, the impeller moves on the shaft, after a few movements back and forth, now the impeller just spins freely on the shaft. from what i can see looking at an exploded view of a slightly different ( newer ?) model, it appears the impeller is held on the shaft with one, maybe two roll pins ? 1/4" x1 1/4 " ?
I found this parts diagram on an old Ariens site: http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/SSA-67.pdf it is for the 1967 Ariens model 7-10M (serial # 114901 and above) which seems to match your serial. The impeller shows the location of one securing pin that is not identified by a code. However the pinion shaft shows 2 holes for the impeller fixing pins. The part is probably the 9x7 roll pin 1/4" by 1 1/4". There are 3 of these pins and one attaches a bearing spacer to the pinion shaft. So the other 2 are probably the impeller attachment pins. I don't see any other locations for those 9x7 roll pins.

You may be able to knock out the pins through the chute opening if you can move the impeller forward to clear the broken pins and then align the impeller over the holes to knock those pins through. Probably easier to remove the auger/impeller assembly and deal with the impeller pins.

Good luck

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
thanks so much Town ! " Orange Crush" is ready for the next storm ! i even looked at adding the larger tire/wheel combo from the old MTD, but they are just to large. the machine would have been way to far " bucket down" even with the skids in the full down position.

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page