post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower

Hello

This is my first post on the forum and I am glad that I found it because I have almost no real experience working with engines, especially small engines let alone snow throwers.

I have Ariens 910008 7hp snow thrower that my mom actually pick up at a garage sale a few years ago. We had it checked out before last winter and the guy rebuilt the carb and said it was fine otherwise and showed my dad and brother in law how to start it up and run it when they picked it up.

However when we finally got a big enough snow to use it I tried to start it a couple times and got it to run for a few minutes but was never able to keep it running and actually use it. With the minimal snow we got last year I never really needed it after that so I just forgot about it until we got our first big snow this last week.

I went to try to start it and found that when I added gas it started leaking out right away and then I realized there was NO pull start cord!!!!

I thought I had pull started it the couple times I tried last year but there does not even seem to be pull start assembly necessary so I may have just used the electric start.

So when I went to move the throttle I found that it was seized up and would not even move so I just put it away and started shoveling.

Once I was halfway through my driveway I realized that I NEEDED a good snow thrower and got lucky and my neighbor from across the street came with his john deer tractor and did the bulk of the deep snow that the plow threw.

After all that I took a look at my machine and decided that I was going to fix it up and bring it back to life as I have always wanted to restore something like this and I figured it would be a good way to get a good understanding and knowledge about how these small engines work and how to fix them.
So I am in the process of replacing the fuel line, fuel shutoff/control valve and fuel tank gasket and the throttle cable. I am also replacing some of the bolts and hardware because they are so rusted that I am afraid that if I donít do it while I can it will be a bigger issue in the future.
I am basically looking for any advice or direction that could help. Also I seem to be missing some kind of air intake/filter and like I said before the whole pull start assembly. Do I NEED to replace these right away or can I get away with out them at least for the rest of the season or until I can find replacements and have the time to put them on?

Also all of the direction for starting and maintenance are gone and I had read that there are special directions for starting this version?
Thank You for reading my post and appreciate any and all help and suggestions.
Thanks Again!!!
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 253
First off give us a few photos of the machine and engine and engine controls.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to the forum AFlood

The old engines had a "different" style of primer. On newer engines you press the rubber bulb a couple times and it squirts in some raw fuel to help get it going when it's cold.

On the old engines there is a spring loaded rod that you have to hold in. It holds a plate over the carbs intake and then as you hold it in and pull the cord once or twice the pistons creates a suction to pull in raw fuel. You do this with the throttle closed and or the ignition off. Then you open the throttle to run and or turn the ignition on with the choke closed and try to start it.

Like on this one:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb controls.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	70609  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
These carburetors can be found online for about 25 bucks .
Just got one myself .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are some pics I took yesterday and never got around to adding to my post but only one of the whole machine. I can add a couple more if this does not help.

As you can see I have the tank, tank bracket and one of the shrouds off as I am about to go outside right not and put a new fuel line, tank gasket and fuel shutoff/control valve on.

The think is as you can see there is no pull starter assembly and as far as I can remember it never had one and I have been able to start it a few times.

The other thing is that I have had to put a piece of cardboard under it because it is leaking oil and has been since I got it and I just noticed a small piece of hose hanging off the engine under the carb that looks to be some sort of oil pressure releaf or something and just like in the picture one of you has attached there is oil all over the gearbox. Is this normal?

I am going to go put those parts on see if I can figure out how to check the oil and maybe try to start it up.

By the way thank you for all of the reply's!!! I am actually very excited to get into this project and learn some stuff because I also have a John Deer riding mower and my old trusty MTD riding mower that blew a motor this summer I want to bring back to life.

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0444.jpg

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0445.jpg

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0446.jpg

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0447.jpg
post #6 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Alright so I had some luck. After installing the new fuel line and fuel shutoff with tank gasket I put most of the shroud pieces back on and followed the instructions I found online(same as the ones you gave me) to get it started.

I did still have the part that goes over the carburetor off which may make a difference since it says that an air cleaner must be used if it is run with out the heater box or what ever they call it.

I went ahead and put it in full choke held the thing in that starves the motor of air and gave the electric(remember I don't have the pull starter assembly) starter a quick push. Then released it and gave the starter a couple of longer pushes and after a couple of attempts it fired up with a huge plume of dark grey smoke!!!

I was running extremely rough and fairly slow and still steadily spewing grey smoke but seemed to smooth out a little and the smoke got lighter and less dense after I gave it a little more throttle, but being that it was after 10pm at night and it didn't seem to be running really smoothly I killed it and put it away.

I realized after I put it away that I never moved the choke to lean out the gas air mixture so I am wondering if that's why it seemed to still be fairly rough and smoky?

I am going to try again in the morning when the neighbors cant get pissed at me and I will try to keep it going and work with the choke and throttle and see if I cant get it to run a little better.

I also have to replace the throttle cable with the new one I bought because the one I have on right now is off the John Deer mower I have and is too short and does not have enough throw or movement so I can only go maybe 2/3 into the throttle.

Also when I took off the main shroud I noticed that the top of the motor, I guess what might be the head casting looked to be almost new compared to the rest of the motor. It was shiny and clean with very minimal grime or age identifiable, similar to the look of the carb which makes me think that both of them may have been replaced shortly before I got it...does that make since or is it really even practical or possible, and if so is that a good sign or a bad one?

Like I said I was getting a good amount of grey smoke especially at first. Is that just from running it on choke or could it be a sign of something else? By the way I checked the oil and it is actually a little above the full line(and that is after it soaked a couple pieces of cardboard with the oil that was leaking out) and the oil looks to be extremely clean and fresh and like I said has stopped leaking out so I am guessing that is a good sign.

I also took some more pictures of the whole machine along with detail pictures of the carb aria and the controls etc.

Ill try to find some time in the morning to post them if I can.

Anyway thanks again for all the help and I look forward any and all replays and suggestions.

Thanks Again
Alan
post #7 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
When GoBlowSnow mentioned getting some photos I'm pretty sure he was talking about the carb area so he (we) could figure out which type of carb you had.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 06:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1652
Likes (Received): 583
the grey some is most likely due to running your machine with the choke on

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #9 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are some better pictures and you should also be able to see what I am talking about with the head casting and carb looking new.

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0449.jpg

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0448.jpg

Help With Ariens 910008 snow thrower-img_0451.jpg

I am going to be adding the new throttle cable this morning and I was wondering if there are any suggestions or special instructions I need to follow when doing this to make it work the best?

Also I am wondering what you guys think about the fact that I don't have a pull starter? My plan is to get it running good enough to function for the rest of the winter then completely rebuild it once the snow stops.

After looking at all of the rebuilt and refurbished ones on this site and others I would much rather have one of these classics that has been refurbished and working like it did when it rolled off the line in the early 70's over a brand new model from 2015.

So I am thinking I will just wait for the rebuild to find a new pull start assembly and depending on condition of what I find just do that along with everything else rather than trying to find one now and putting it on, but I guess my question is if that is ok or if I am doing any damage by not using the pull starter to slowly turn it over a few times before starting it up?

I should be able to also just grab the part of the crankshaft sticking out the back that the pull starter would be attached to and rotate it clockwise(?) a few times to move the pistons and get them to suck some gas in correct? Or is that not a good idea?

Thanks Again for your patients and all of the help!!!!!

Alan
post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
Good work there so far. Where in Wisconsin are you? Im over near Sheboygan. If you need some parts let me know as I have a pretty good stash. Be careful you don't get your tallywacker caught in that flywheel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page