LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Can't determine oil levels on dip stick

Hi. I'm starting my second season with my Ariens Deluxe 24 Electric Start Model 921024. I still consider myself a newbie but loved working with it last year (vs. years of manual shoveling before the purchase).

When I bought it last year, the dealer set it all up for me. This year I've changed the oil for the first time, but can't determine the oil current level. I pull out the oil dip stick, wipe it clean, put it back in, pull out again but it's just oily all over the stick. I see the FULL line on the bottom, but there is no clear delination that I can use to determine the amount in the oil canister of the blower. I remember this being the case last year as well.

As I say, today I emptied the oil compartment completely. Then started putting in oil from a 1 quart bottle. According to my manual this model can hold 20oz.
I put a little over half the bottle in, but really can't tell what's what from
the dip stick.

Any suggestions? Is there something I can buy that will make it clearer?

I'm open to suggestions. I know they say overfilling is almost as bad as under filling.

Thanks.

I own a 2015 Ariens ST24LE Deluxe 24" Snowblower (921024)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
Hi Fill Port or Low Fill.

I had the same on my LCT engine as well....
Mine came with the high fill port, shiny dipstick and low fill port capped...

I ended up doing 2 things.
Removed plugged low port and replaced with a ~dipstick~. Generally though, as long as oil reaches the bottom thread of that, it's full.

As well, took a torch and darkened up the bottom of the bottom of the dipstick.
If you don't want to torch it, maybe take a sharpie to it ?
Holding the unalterated dipstick in bright sunlights helps to see the level as well
post #3 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 135
BR, there are additional threads on the same topic: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...illegible.html

The oil is really difficult to read when brand new.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks all for the responses. Let me just clarify...read the attached thread as well. But here's the problem. While the dip stick indicatoars of full and such are not bright, that's not really the problem. i can see the FULL tyoe and such. Problem is the oil itself just seems to slather all over the dip stick and I can't tell where it's stopping in relation to FULL or such.

Did I read correctly that on my Ariens Deluxe 24 Electric Start Model 921024 that there is a second oil indicator outside the unit somewhere closer to the value where you empty the oil? if there is, I haven't found it yet.

I own a 2015 Ariens ST24LE Deluxe 24" Snowblower (921024)
post #5 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 12
it should say in your manual how much to add depending on engine size..i have a 306cc and it reccommends 32oz....and yes its pretty hard to see those dipsticks...some of them are really hard to judge...i like having an amount instead of guessing...i think the 254cc is 28oz and 420cc is 38oz
post #6 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 19
I usually drill a small hole in the dipstick close to the full mark. This makes it much easier to see whether you're close to the full mark. Usually have to file any burrs from one or both sides of the stick. Makes it easier on my old eyes!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Loco-diablo liked this post
post #7 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 12:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by brvid View Post
Hi. I'm starting my second season with my Ariens Deluxe 24 Electric Start Model 921024. I still consider myself a newbie but loved working with it last year (vs. years of manual shoveling before the purchase).

When I bought it last year, the dealer set it all up for me. This year I've changed the oil for the first time, but can't determine the oil current level. I pull out the oil dip stick, wipe it clean, put it back in, pull out again but it's just oily all over the stick. I see the FULL line on the bottom, but there is no clear delination that I can use to determine the amount in the oil canister of the blower. I remember this being the case last year as well.

As I say, today I emptied the oil compartment completely. Then started putting in oil from a 1 quart bottle. According to my manual this model can hold 20oz.
I put a little over half the bottle in, but really can't tell what's what from
the dip stick.

Any suggestions? Is there something I can buy that will make it clearer?

I'm open to suggestions. I know they say overfilling is almost as bad as under filling.

Thanks.
Try waiting a few minutes before reinserting the dipstick after filling. Let the oil run down the filler tube into the sump so the stick doesn't get coated as much. Same thing happens if you try checking the oil right after shutting off the engine.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes knu2xs liked this post
post #8 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 12
Try flipping your dipstick over a few times and you will get used to the difference of seeing where the level really tops off at. Oftentimes the dipstick will be shiny with oil way over the full mark on one side and on the other you can see where it's not smooth-looking oil. That's the side to check the "real" level on.
You might have to do this a few times to get used to it.

Troy-Bilt 2410, 1979 Allis-Chalmers 7-24
post #9 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
I think the problem is that once oil is added via the dipstick tube, it takes a while for the residual oil to clear from the tube and settle down into the engine. I would wipe the stick clean, leave the stick out, (cover the top of the tube with something to avoid contamination) and the let the machine sit for several hours before checking the level. Put the stick in/out just once and make sure you have good lighting, perhaps even a flashlight. Look toward the edges of the dipstick and on both sides as suggested here. Sometimes it's easier to see the level toward the edges.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)

Last edited by Loco-diablo; 01-11-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 135
...and to add to Loco's guidance, leave it in for 10 seconds before you pull it out to check the level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page