LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 28 Deluxe Weight Kit?

Is the weight kit worth it? I find if I have some hard packed/wet snow the machine just starts to ride over top of it.

It also doesnt seem to be scraping as well as I would like. I lowered the skid shoes right down and it did well but this will probably cause too much wear on the scraper bar. Any ideas? What do you put under your scraper bar when adjusting the skid shoes. I had a couple paint sticks but that left too much snow for my liking.

Are any of the other Ariens accessories worth it? Tire chains, drift cutter?

Do the tracked snowblowers perform any better than the wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICECOLDBEER View Post
Is the weight kit worth it? I find if I have some hard packed/wet snow the machine just starts to ride over top of it.

It also doesnt seem to be scraping as well as I would like. I lowered the skid shoes right down and it did well but this will probably cause too much wear on the scraper bar. Any ideas? What do you put under your scraper bar when adjusting the skid shoes. I had a couple paint sticks but that left too much snow for my liking.

Are any of the other Ariens accessories worth it? Tire chains, drift cutter?

Setting the scraper too close to the ground might result in catching any little bump or transition. that often results is a sudden stop, and possible dinging of the scraper. Paint sticks are about 1/8" high. If you can get things down to 1/8 I would say you are doing OK. Have you got any spots on the area you clear that are not flat, like cracks in pavement, sidewalk slabs that are not dead even in height, interlocking stone or bricks that might cause you problems? If everything is perfect, then raise the skids (lowers the scraper) but don't have the <scraper> actually dragging on the ground as it will wear out quickly.

I sometimes use a 15 LB bag of sand on draped over the bucket to keep the front end from climbing over stuff, but it depends on what the stuff is. If its hard packed frozen solid, its not coming up with the blower.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-10-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Honda or Yamaha track machine will definitely perform better than a wheeled one as if you set the machine close to scraper mode it will place ~ 50% of its weight on the auger area.
I've never used an Ariens nor any tri-sprocket track machine, but I think that they do not have the advantage of a 2 sprocket track type design. (On the other hand Ariens have an advantage on the heavier auger area).
post #4 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Got the wheel off now as you could see rust coming off the axle when the wet snow melted. Would you recommend anti seize on the axle or grease. And what kind of grease?

Also there is a grease fitting there. I'm not sure what that greases but I gave it a few pumps. Should I be able to see grease coming out of the axles somewhere. Or is that greasing some part of the drive system. The manual doesn't really give any clues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452475006727.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	71714  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Setting the scraper too close to the ground might result in catching any little bump or transition. that often results is a sudden stop, and possible dinging of the scraper. Paint sticks are about 1/8" high. If you can get things down to 1/8 I would say you are doing OK. Have you got any spots on the area you clear that are not flat, like cracks in pavement, sidewalk slabs that are not dead even in height, interlocking stone or bricks that might cause you problems? If everything is perfect, then raise the skids (lowers the scraper) but don't have the skid actually dragging on the ground as it will wear out quickly.

I sometimes use a 15 LB bag of sand on draped over the bucket to keep the front end from climbing over stuff, but it depends on what the stuff is. If its hard packed frozen solid, its not coming up with the blower.
Il try that sometime with the salt bag. I might just try and make my own weight kit. Just both on a long piece of scrap.

You said not to have the skids dragging on the ground. You meant the scraper right?

I lowered the scraper right down a while ago to clean up slush on the drive and it did ding the scraper up a bit. Ill try to get a pic of the scraper now.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Heres another question for you guys. Some times when I am going along if there is too much snow coming out the chute will turn on me. I dont really know how to fix that. The hand crank thing falls and thats why it changes directions. Any ideas?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Honda or Yamaha track machine will definitely perform better than a wheeled one as if you set the machine close to scraper mode it will place ~ 50% of its weight on the auger area.
I've never used an Ariens nor any tri-sprocket track machine, but I think that they do not have the advantage of a 2 sprocket track type design. (On the other hand Ariens have an advantage on the heavier auger area).
So tracked machines do perform better than wheeled machines?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Im gonna roll with the anti sieze unless someone stops me!!!
post #9 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
So tracked machines do perform better than wheeled machines?
They would attack hard packed snow much better than wheel units (they do not tend to ride up). This is my experience with Honda an Yamaha tracked snowblowers with very good auger serrations.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Il try that sometime with the salt bag. I might just try and make my own weight kit. Just both on a long piece of scrap.

You said not to have the skids dragging on the ground. You meant the scraper right?
Sorry about that. Skids can drag, scraper should not drag.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page