Suspect failure of Hilliard Differential - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Suspect failure of Hilliard Differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillnGullyRider View Post
Not unless you take the differential apart and maybe fool around with the spring pressure, but that is way beyond the scope of the average consumer.
Resurrecting an old thread.....here is my story....

I have Mod. 926037, Ser 001119. Parts fiche says I have Hilliard Differential. I recently began having crazy amount of slippage when there is ANY resistance to normal forward or reverse engagement. Even the slightest incline on my sidewalk is a no-go. Got the machine into the warm basement and started inspecting for culprits. Drive belt was a little worn so I replaced that and the friction wheel. Got absolutely no improvement so back to the basement.
I had a friend with a bit more experience with the mechanical operations of the Ariens, help diagnose the problem. We removed the bottom cover and lifted the wheels off the floor and observed that everything was turning properly until we put resistance on the tires. We felt that the only possible item that could be failing is the Hilliard Differential. The splines are in good shape and keyways are all good.
Went to a local Ariens dealer and explained our findings, he agreed but said he didn't recall ever replacing this part. I do have a new one ordered so when I got back to the basement, I took apart the suspect diff. Lots of gunk inside that looks like it could prohibit smooth operations.
I am curious to find any service/rebuild videos, memos or comments that would shed some light on this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
Just to make sure you're using the ATC correctly (I have one of those models on a Deluxe 28):

For ATC to work, you have to squeeze the handle. That disengages the drive to the left wheel. Now with the handle squeezed, the left wheel is disengaged and the right wheel will be turning and thus turn the machine to the left. OR in a confined area YOU can turn the machine to the left without engaging the drive to the right wheel. You have keep the handle squeezed until you want to re-engage the left wheel.

Once re-engaged, both wheels are under power, locked and tracking straight.

I normally don't squeeze the handle to turn unless I'm in 1st gear (or 2nd gear max) because the machine will turn too quickly.

Last edited by CO Snow; 01-14-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
Just to make sure you're using the ATC correctly (I have one of those models on a Deluxe 28):

For ATC to work, you have to squeeze the handle. That disengages the drive to the left wheel. Now with the handle squeezed, the left wheel is disengaged and the right wheel will be turning and thus turn the machine to the left. OR in a confined area YOU can turn the machine to the left without engaging the drive to the right wheel. You have keep the handle squeezed until you want to re-engage the left wheel.

Once re-engaged, both wheels are under power, locked and tracking straight.

I normally don't squeeze the handle to turn unless I'm in 1st gear (or 2nd gear max) because the machine will turn too quickly.
I do not have a handle to squeeze other than to engage friction disk and another to engage the blower.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2016, 01:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
Checking on this shows that your machine has Auto Turn, NOT ATC.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Suspect failure of Hilliard Differential

I original posted this note in another thread that may not have been correct.

Label on console reads Automatic Steering and Traction Control...Triggerless.

I have Mod. 926037, Ser 001119. Parts fiche says I have Hilliard Differential. I recently began having crazy amount of slippage when there is ANY resistance to normal forward or reverse engagement. Even the slightest incline on my sidewalk is a no-go. Got the machine into the warm basement and started inspecting for culprits. Drive belt was a little worn so I replaced that and the friction wheel. Got absolutely no improvement so back to the basement.
I had a friend with a bit more experience with the mechanical operations of the Ariens, help diagnose the problem. We removed the bottom cover and lifted the wheels off the floor and observed that everything was turning properly until we put resistance on the tires. We felt that the only possible item that could be failing is the Hilliard Differential. The splines are in good shape and keyways are all good.
Went to a local Ariens dealer and explained our findings, he agreed but said he didn't recall ever replacing this part. I do have a new one ordered so when I got back to the basement, I took apart the suspect diff. Lots of gunk inside that looks like it could prohibit smooth operations.
I am curious to find any service/rebuild videos, memos or comments that would shed some light on this subject.

Last edited by Munmi; 01-15-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
to the forum Munmi

Merged your posts into one thread.

Would prefer you not resurrect and hijack someone elses thread especially when you started one of your own

Can you post photos of what you found inside ??
Did you order a complete new unit ??
Did you need to drill out the rivets to get it apart ??

Is this any help ?? - - > https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...al-repair.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-15-2016 at 03:55 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to the forum Munmi

Merged your posts into one thread.

Would prefer you not resurrect and hijack someone elses thread especially when you started one of your own

Can you post photos of what you found inside ??
Did you order a complete new unit ??
Did you need to drill out the rivets to get it apart ??

I apologize for violating protocol. My mistake.

Ordered a new diff thru local dealer.
Short torx screws held the unit together.
I put a photo on my website.
Various Designs - Scott Mitchell Outdoor Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page