LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
Hydro pro

I figured I'd start a new tread about Hydro pro wheel or tracks. So far all I see is deluxe platinum etc but not much about the Hydro with 420 cc B&S. I just bought a Hydro pro 28 track and would like to see if anyone got comments the good the bad and the ugly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 04:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 23
Here's an old thread talking about the Hydro Pro track & wheels.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ow-blower.html
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes lillbear liked this post
post #3 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 10:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1659
Likes (Received): 585
why the thumbs down lillbear

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
why the thumbs down lillbear
I wondered that too..
since there is no reason for it, I removed it.
Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillbear View Post
I figured I'd start a new tread about Hydro pro wheel or tracks. So far all I see is deluxe platinum etc but not much about the Hydro with 420 cc B&S. I just bought a Hydro pro 28 track and would like to see if anyone got comments the good the bad and the ugly.
I am always running out of gas part way through clearing up so the large gas tank on the Pro would be worth the extra money of a Pro model. The extra power of the B&S engine running the impeller at 1112 rpm instead of 1083 on mine would be nice too.

The lack of a center support on the auger shaft is a worry since all my old machines developed problems with excess movement of the auger gear box. That coupled with the extra cost of the Pro and lack of a 30" model steered me to the SHO.

I was intrigued with the idea of tracks because of their ability to force the bucket down to clear the driveway better. However, what seems to happen is that traction suffers by lifting the front of the track off the pavement and then the machine just slips. Also my dealer said that tracked machines have slower ground speed than wheeled machines so that ended the tracked machine thoughts. The Ariens wheeled machines have much more weight placed on the bucket (some say because the driving wheels are placed further back from the bucket) than other machines and this puts additional force into clearing packed snow from the pavement rather than riding up over it.

I have never had any trouble with the friction disc drive system in 42 years using them so never thought of buying a hydro drive machine. Reading the views of hydro users on this forum I think I will stick to the friction disc system.

Good luck with your machine.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 47 Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
If the area that you clearing is flat, wheels will do you fine. If you have a gravel driveway or your surface is not flat, the you will like the tracks because you can raise and lock the bucket. A wheel model, you can not do that.
post #7 of 47 Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I purchased a Hydropro 28 last year and absolutely love it. My wife actually fights me for the opportunity to be the one to snowblow the driveway lol!! I was at first disappointed when I used it the first time in 4" of snow because I was expecting it to throw farther than it did. The second time it snowed we had probably 12" of snow. Well it certainly responded. I think the machine at first was insulted that I was "only" giving it 4" but when I gave it the foot of snow it was tossing it 50'-60'. I'm looking to upgrade the headlights to led's because the factory headlight is lackluster at best. I have also purchased the snow cab for it but have taken it off. Even though it was nice to stay clean, I found the depth perception and location of the unit hard to judge. The snow cab also didn't want to stay up and kept wanting to sag down in the back during use. Overall I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Terrance liked this post
post #8 of 47 Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 17
Needa increase your ground speed when there's less snow.
post #9 of 47 Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
Buzzard not sure what you mean by thumb down?
I really like this new hydro track 28. Finally got enough snow to try it last Wednesday and works great. Is it a perfect machine no it has it flaws but very small ones in my opinion. The controls chute side to side and the lever for the deflector is to close to the shifter. Very small flaws if you take the overall performance of this model. Power to spare, throws snow over the 50 feet in wind pack dry snow the full height of the bucket. My neighbour that has a 11/32 Honda came and checked it out because it was going through the snow bank faster then his. The auto turn works nice once you get the hang of it even my wife has no problem using it and it's a heavy machine. The construction is really robust 12 gauge steel, very rigid doesn't twist or felx when man handled. The B&S engine is easy to pull start at -17c choke 2 pumps of primer and 1pull every time. Like I said it's new as I purchased it on December 24��. Should have many years of service hopefully. I have a 300 feet long driveway by about 100+ feet. My craftsman lasted 5 year and the weld on the bucket broke so sold it for parts and got my first Ariens. Time will tell if it will be trouble free as long as I do my maintenance on it it should last a long time I figure
post #10 of 47 Old 01-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Received): 98
I have a comment, I envy you...
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks lillbear thanked for this post
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page