Trouble with my Ariens Deluxe 30 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 21
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Trouble with my Ariens Deluxe 30

I love Ariens products and I love the Ariens Company, but my experience has been nothing short of frustrating with my 2013 Deluxe 30 Sno-Thro. I purchased it new in Fall 2013 and in the first season one of the Auger Attachment belts came off. In the process of having it repaired, I realized that the pulleys weren't aligned properly. This is probably what caused the belt to come off to begin with, plus it caused tons of belt wear and dust. My local dealer had to come pick it up and repair it and replace the belts. It seemed to work pretty good during the 2nd season, although it didn't seem to throw as well as it did new. This season, I thought I discovered an oil leak. Again, it was picked up by my dealer and they were unable to detect a leak, but I'm not convinced yet because of how dirty and greasy the black plate the engine rests on is. Today, I discovered it is leaking fuel, so again it will need to be picked up. After spending over $1300, I really expected more.

I bought this Sno-Thro because I'm a big Ariens fan, wanted to support a local company, and was hoping for something that would last 15-20 years. I've had it tuned-up every year by my dealer. I can't go a single season without an issue. I'm ready to go back to a shovel or get something else that can last a few seasons with just the standard, basic maintenance.
setrusko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Normex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Near Ottawa Ont
Posts: 1,371
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by setrusko View Post
I bought this Sno-Thro because I'm a big Ariens fan, wanted to support a local company, and was hoping for something that would last 15-20 years. I've had it tuned-up every year by my dealer. I can't go a single season without an issue. I'm ready to go back to a shovel or get something else that can last a few seasons with just the standard, basic maintenance.
Welcome to the forum, although we can sympathize with your snow problems, there is really not much we can offer because of lack of details of the leak occurrences which could be simple to repair, for instance where is the gaz leaking from? and what were you doing with the machine when you saw the leak. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Normex is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 21
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Sorry about that. It's going back in this week. I actually think it's leaking from the fuel shut-off. There is fuel residue running down the back of the machine along the recoil starter "grill" area. I've always used fuel stabilizer and high octane, non-ethanol fuel so I don't think it's that. Must just be a bad value. It even seems to leak when the valve is closed/off.
setrusko is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,163
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
I seem to remember that the gas valve on those isn't that easy to go to. Most are pretty much out in the open and it's a really simple job to buy one at a big box store, hardware, walmart, ... remove the two clamps, swap valves and you're good. Just depends on if it's under warranty and the pickup and delivery is free and you aren't sitting there looking at 18" of snow in your driveway.

Briggs & Stratton Inline Fuel Shut-Off Valve - For Life Out Here

It does seem to be a more common occurrence of the newer machines having issue with the gas valve. This is the third or fourth on newer Ariens this season that leaked externally or didn't actually shut off the flow.

.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 21
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I seem to remember that the gas valve on those isn't that easy to go to. Most are pretty much out in the open and it's a really simple job to buy one at a big box store, hardware, walmart, ... remove the two clamps, swap valves and you're good. Just depends on if it's under warranty and the pickup and delivery is free and you aren't sitting there looking at 18" of snow in your driveway.

Briggs & Stratton Inline Fuel Shut-Off Valve - For Life Out Here

It does seem to be a more common occurrence of the newer machines having issue with the gas valve. This is the third or fourth on newer Ariens this season that leaked externally or didn't actually shut off the flow.

Thanks Kiss4aFrog. Luckily, I got it when they had a "free" extended warranty deal going on, so it's under warranty yet. When it's warranty work, they usually don't charge for pick-up and delivery. I'm hoping we don't get much snow too!

The shut-off is in a really inconvenient spot and looks like a pain to replace, like you said. So there are existing posts from this season about a similar issue out there?

Thanks!
setrusko is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 821
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
On my machine the fuel shut-off valve is threaded into the corner of the metal fuel tank. So the fuel tank probably has to be removed for access.

Too bad that you are experiencing so many problems with your machine.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Town is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by setrusko View Post
Sorry about that. It's going back in this week. I actually think it's leaking from the fuel shut-off. There is fuel residue running down the back of the machine along the recoil starter "grill" area. I've always used fuel stabilizer and high octane, non-ethanol fuel so I don't think it's that. Must just be a bad value. It even seems to leak when the valve is closed/off.

That could be a split hose where the clamp is, or the valve itself could be cracked.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 21
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Just got it back today. Looks like a leaky fuel shut-off valve.
setrusko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome