What Size tap To Replace That 5/16 Axle Zerk? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
What Size tap To Replace That 5/16 Axle Zerk?

Mine has one of those cheap driven in axle zerks that sticks out the side of the gear box behind the wheel. I pretty much doubt that another drive in is going to stay put. What is the drill and tap size you guys use to upsize that zerk to a screw in?

2002 Ariens 932-101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
I don't know about that specific application but most zerks with threads will cut their own threads. They have a shape like a pipe thread that gets bigger and jams itself into the hole as it's screwed in.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll give it a try. Plenty of meat there to mess it up and go bigger. ****, I never even knew they had such a thing as a drive in zerk and had never seen one before. I thought the threads were stripped off by the prior owner. I suppose this is one of those el cheapo step savers that companies use today. It sure seems like one of those things that you just know can't hold up long term.

2002 Ariens 932-101
post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 515
Thanks (Received): 684
Likes (Given): 3871
Likes (Received): 1485
Garage
I'm in the same boat. All the ones I've ever seen were on cars and they all threaded in. First one I saw (last year) I thought it stripped out too until I saw a photo of the replacement.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
My 2004 Craftsman has press-in zerks on the auger shaft. I used a normal grease gun end fitting to grease them and they pulled out. I hammered them back in and use a small needle type fitting that just pushes the little ball bearing in so grease can flow. It is the type of grease gun fitting used to lubricate 4WD front constant velocity universal joints that have a cup fitting between the two close fitting joints.

A threaded zerk will work better where you have the room to install.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
The smallest pipe thread Zerk will be 1/8" NPT, which is a pretty big hole. You can get ones with 1/4" bolt thread which will take a 13/64" drill and 1/4" nc tap. If you can get the axle out easily, this will be an easy job, because you don't have to worry about the bottom of the hole and a bottom hole tap. You will be able to do the whole job with a starting tap.
Press in Zerks have been common for a long time, but I never liked them.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I'm in the same boat. All the ones I've ever seen were on cars and they all threaded in. First one I saw (last year) I thought it stripped out too until I saw a photo of the replacement.

Same here. First I couldn't figure out how I stripped that zerk putting it back on. Then came the part where somehow I peeled off every thread as flush as if I had rolled it across a grinder. After that was looking down the bore of that shaft all cleaned up and not seeing any torn up threads. It actually took some time with the manual to find out the stupid things even exist. Just another of those Homer Simpson moments. Duhhhhh.

2002 Ariens 932-101
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 5
I take it that 5/16 was the wrench size of the zerk that you want to put in? 1/4-28 is very common and about 2/3 of the diameter of 1/8 NPT.
someone above said 1/4 NC thread. That would be 1/4-20. (20 being the thread count in an inch of threaded bolt) What you want is 1/4 NF. (National "fine" thread)
NC is "National Coarse" thread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page