post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Idler Pulley Question

Hey Guys-

Does my traction belt in this picture seem okay on the traction idler pulley? The belt isn't centered on the idler pulley, but everything seems to be working fine and the belt looks to be in decent shape.

Thanks,
Scott

Idler Pulley Question-img_0356.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by setrusko View Post
Hey Guys-

Does my traction belt in this picture seem okay on the traction idler pulley? The belt isn't centered on the idler pulley, but everything seems to be working fine and the belt looks to be in decent shape.
From your pic the belt seems to track fine.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
IMHO, from the photo the belt looks to be in proper alignment from the engine to the drive pulley and because of the black plate the tensioner is where it needs to be, off center.

As long as the inner edge of the belt isn't getting damaged by the lip on the idler I'd say you're good.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
[QUOTE=setrusko;883801]Hey Guys-

Thanks,
Scott

Your belt seems to be lined up on the drive pulley and the driven pulley and is on the left side (in the picture) on the idler pulley. It looks in alignment to me. Since you are not having any trouble with the belt its alignment is fine, however, the driven pulley is attached to the swinging arm that moves toward the handlebars when the drive clutch is engaged. This will put some belt force against the idler pulley side-wall closer to the engine, and may pose a problem when the belt wears and has less rigidity.

On my machine the belt lines up in the center of the idler pulley, so it allows the belt more sideways movement when the drive clutch is engaged and the belt loses rigidity when worn. The driven pulley may be further toward the bucket on my machine. I think it is adjustable.

On the left side of the chassis, just forward of the wheel and lower than the belt cover is a black square indicator for the swinging driven plate of the wheel drive system. With the drive clutch released the indicator should be all the way forward (toward the bucket). When the drive clutch is engaged the indicator moves backward (toward the handlebars) about half way when the driven pulley/drive plate engages the rubber tired friction wheel. If yours is that way then the alignment of the driven pulley to the other pulleys is probably correct. So no worries.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[quote=Town;883905]
Quote:
Hey Guys-

Thanks,
Scott

Your belt seems to be lined up on the drive pulley and the driven pulley and is on the left side (in the picture) on the idler pulley. It looks in alignment to me. Since you are not having any trouble with the belt its alignment is fine, however, the driven pulley is attached to the swinging arm that moves toward the handlebars when the drive clutch is engaged. This will put some belt force against the idler pulley side-wall closer to the engine, and may pose a problem when the belt wears and has less rigidity.

On my machine the belt lines up in the center of the idler pulley, so it allows the belt more sideways movement when the drive clutch is engaged and the belt loses rigidity when worn. The driven pulley may be further toward the bucket on my machine. I think it is adjustable.

On the left side of the chassis, just forward of the wheel and lower than the belt cover is a black square indicator for the swinging driven plate of the wheel drive system. With the drive clutch released the indicator should be all the way forward (toward the bucket). When the drive clutch is engaged the indicator moves backward (toward the handlebars) about half way when the driven pulley/drive plate engages the rubber tired friction wheel. If yours is that way then the alignment of the driven pulley to the other pulleys is probably correct. So no worries.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I did check the black, square indicator and it is as you suggest. It touches the frame when the clutch is disengaged and moves backwards a little over halfway when the clutch is engaged. How much slack would you say you have in your traction drive cable?

Thanks,
Scott
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 123
Garage
[quote=setrusko;884033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post

Thanks for all the tips guys. I did check the black, square indicator and it is as you suggest. It touches the frame when the clutch is disengaged and moves backwards a little over halfway when the clutch is engaged. How much slack would you say you have in your traction drive cable?

Thanks,
Scott
I don't have any slack in the cable, but it is not taught either. It was checked/adjusted by the dealer. The owner manual says to remove all slack from the cable.

I press down on the clutch lever and there is immediate movement of the black indicator. The lever moves a very short distance and then you feel the driven plate return spring tension increase until the lever contacts the handlebar.

A little slack in the cable would be OK but too tight will keep the clutch engaged for a short time after the lever is released. This can be scary if you are trying to get close to an obstruction.

I could measure the lever deflection from rest to the start of noticeable spring tension on my machine if you are in any doubt.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[quote=Town;884329]
Quote:

I don't have any slack in the cable, but it is not taught either. It was checked/adjusted by the dealer. The owner manual says to remove all slack from the cable.

I press down on the clutch lever and there is immediate movement of the black indicator. The lever moves a very short distance and then you feel the driven plate return spring tension increase until the lever contacts the handlebar.

A little slack in the cable would be OK but too tight will keep the clutch engaged for a short time after the lever is released. This can be scary if you are trying to get close to an obstruction.

I could measure the lever deflection from rest to the start of noticeable spring tension on my machine if you are in any doubt.

Good luck.
Thanks, Town. Mine has a tiny bit of slack, but not much. I have to push down a hair to get the black indicator to move. Being a little too loose it probably better than too tight, as you said. I might adjust a little in Spring, but I'm not having any issues with it slipping under load. Thanks again for all the help.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Quote:
Hey Guys-

Thanks,
Scott

Attachment 74353

I have a 921037 Deluxe 28+ and my belt/pulley is in the exact same position as yours

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page