post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Belt cover on Ariens 28" model 921030?

Hi,
I just bought a brand new Ariens model 921030 from Home Depot that I, unfortunately, had to assemble myself. I just used it for the very first time and found that the snow doesn't throw very far at all. The troubleshooting info in my manual says to adjust the Attachment Clutch/Brake. The first step before making this adjustment, however, is to "disconnect the spark plug wire", with the next step being to "remove belt cover". Sounds easy enough, IF I knew WHERE the "spark plug wire" and the "belt cover" were. I am not a mechanic, nor do I have the slightest clue what a spark plug even looks like, nevermind a spark plug wire. That said, I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person on earth that doesn't know where the spark plug or it's wire are, as even the "changing the spark plug" section of the owners manual doesn't have a diagram to showing WHERE that spark plug is located so that we can change it. Crazy, right? Anyway, I have read thru every manual I have for this thing, and am now 3 hrs into excruciating internet searching trying to find a diagram somewhere that will declare something as being the "spark plug wire" and "belt cover" but I'm at my wit's end. Can anyone tell me how to find these 2 things? There's a huge snowstorm whipping around outside my door here in Boston right now and I need my snowblower to BLOW SNOW already.

Thanks in advance for any help and or guidance that anyone might be able to provide to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 12
Pictures in your Owners manual would be quite handy, here's some pictures. Diagram F, #34 is your spark plug boot. It'll be on the left hand side of the engine, as viewed from the rear. Diagram G, #7, is the belt cover. The belt cover is in front of the engine. Hope this helps:Ariens 921030 Parts List and Diagram - (100000 - ) : eReplacementParts.com
post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Older snow blowers had the spark plug right on top and easy to find. A lot of newer engines have so many plastic covers on all the parts that everything is hidden. Removing the spark plug wire is done for safety reasons. Adjusting the belt could involve turning the engine so they just want to make sure there is no way for it to start. The belt cover is usually held on by 2 or 3 screws. It is most likely a black plastic dome/tent thing on the top of the machine between the engine and the discharge chute.

Here is our recommended youtube mechanic and some auger belt adjustment videos. Don't recall any Ariens specific ones, but all of them are basically the same.

https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy...ry=belt+adjust

And this might help you learn how things are put together.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks so much for the quick responses. I have located the belt cover but still have yet to be able to figure out where this spark plug wire thing is. I see a big black rubber tube-type thing that seems to be plugged in under a big black box that sits directly behind (and a little on top of) the thing that the Choke Control knob is attached to. Standing behind machine its on the left side as one of you said, but it's not a "wire" really, its more of a fat rubber tube thing that plugs in under the big black box. Is that the spark plug wire? If so, how do I unplug it? Do I have to get this black box off first? I'm so confused.

Thanks again for the help and for your super quick responses. I really appreciate it!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
the spark plug/wire is hidden behind the "black box", you will have to remove it to see what you are looking for. google spark plug boot, there are many different variants, but you will see what it is/basically looks like.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 648
You don't need to remove the spark plug wire to do this adjustment.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Before you do a lot of (maybe unnecessary?)work. Start the machine,engage the impeller,then look down the shoot. With the throttle on high,the impeller should be turning at a pretty good clip. If it's not,then-your auger drive belt is not tight enough. If you had to put this machine together,(of course I don't know to what extent), you should have an idea how to adjust(increase tension)this belt. This sounds more likely the problem to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page