One of the reverse gears does not work.... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long ISland
Posts: 20
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Cool One of the reverse gears does not work....

UPDATE ON THIS 2/4/2016

It was a minor adjustment as you guys mentioned!!!

Al is well now and both reverse gears are working...

Just a adjustment on the GEAR SELECTOR /SPEED SELECTOR


--------------------------------------------------------

Hi first off I am new here , and just survived the snow in the NY area!!!!

I have a ST24 920014 One of the reverse gears doe not work but the other one does...

Could it be a simple adjustment of the gear thingy?


take it easy on me I am new

Ariens ST24 920014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TunaTaint; 02-04-2016 at 11:16 AM.
TunaTaint is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,418
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTaint View Post
Hi first off I am new here , and just survived the snow in the NY area!!!!

I have a ST24 920014 One of the reverse gears doe not work but the other one does...

Could it be a simple adjustment of the gear thingy?


take it easy on me I am new
Probably a simple adjustment of the gear thingy.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long ISland
Posts: 20
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Probably a simple adjustment of the gear thingy.
lol the "clutch arm" ?

Ariens ST24 920014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TunaTaint is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,418
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTaint View Post
lol the "clutch arm" ?
If everything else is working, forward and one reverse, and the wheels are turning, the clutch mechanism is probably ok.

Check Page 27 of your manual for instructions on adjusting the speed selector. Might be something is a loose. Did you notice if any of the forward gears are not correct, like too fast or slow?

Manual is here, but Im sure you have yours close at hand....

Speed Selector Adjustment - Ariens 920014 COMPACT 24 LE Owner's/operator's Manual [Page 27]

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lowell area, MA
Posts: 3,246
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
You say one of the reverse gears doesn't work. Which one?

If you have reverse 1, and reverse 2, where 2 should be faster, which doesn't work?

If reverse 1 doesn't work, then you probably need to adjust the gear selector linkage length. I'd follow the instructions that skutflut linked to.

If this linkage is adjusted wrong, it can make all of your either forward, or reverse, speeds too fast. If all the forward speeds are too fast, then reverse 1 might not move at all. And if all the reverse speeds are too fast, then forward 1 might not move at all.

Start with adjusting the linkage, and see how it goes.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
RedOctobyr is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long ISland
Posts: 20
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
If everything else is working, forward and one reverse, and the wheels are turning, the clutch mechanism is probably ok.

Check Page 27 of your manual for instructions on adjusting the speed selector. Might be something is a loose. Did you notice if any of the forward gears are not correct, like too fast or slow?

Manual is here, but Im sure you have yours close at hand....

Speed Selector Adjustment - Ariens 920014 COMPACT 24 LE Owner's/operator's Manual [Page 27]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
You say one of the reverse gears doesn't work. Which one?

If you have reverse 1, and reverse 2, where 2 should be faster, which doesn't work?

If reverse 1 doesn't work, then you probably need to adjust the gear selector linkage length. I'd follow the instructions that skutflut linked to.

If this linkage is adjusted wrong, it can make all of your either forward, or reverse, speeds too fast. If all the forward speeds are too fast, then reverse 1 might not move at all. And if all the reverse speeds are too fast, then forward 1 might not move at all.

Start with adjusting the linkage, and see how it goes.

Thank you guys!!!! I had a feeling that all this time soemthing was of... I have had the blower for 2 season now so I am thinking initially when i set it up I mgiht have made mistake...


Ill play with the adjustments... I have sneaky suspicion it is that.

ill report back!!!!

Ariens ST24 920014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TunaTaint is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,418
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTaint View Post
Thank you guys!!!! I had a feeling that all this time soemthing was of... I have had the blower for 2 season now so I am thinking initially when i set it up I mgiht have made mistake...


Ill play with the adjustments... I have sneaky suspicion it is that.

ill report back!!!!
Make sure the engine is off while you are playing with the linkages. Don't want to leave anything behind in the machine, like fingers.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
skutflut is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long ISland
Posts: 20
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Ok here is the update:


I adjusted the speed selector as per manual and Reverse 1 is going in forward slow and reverse 2 is actually going in reverse,,,



All the other forward gears work.....

just R1 is going "forward"


any advice?

Ariens ST24 920014


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TunaTaint is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Moderator
 
Shryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,159
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTaint View Post
Ok here is the update:


I adjusted the speed selector as per manual and Reverse 1 is going in forward slow and reverse 2 is actually going in reverse,,,



All the other forward gears work.....

just R1 is going "forward"


any advice?
Either your adjustment is still off or something is loose/bent.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Shryp is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,137
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
You need to adjust the linkage until the friction disc is on one side of the driving plate's center for the first gear and on the other side of center for the first reverse gear.

Presently you have it adjusted so that it's on the same side of center for first and first reverse and only goes to the other side in the second reverse.
If you're doing it according to the manual something is either very worn or might be bent.

The video might help:


.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome