LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
921030 Too Fast

Well after my first use of my new snow blower in 30+ inches of snow in this weekends historic snow totals in downstate NY (Long Island)... I am in love. Now, my only issue is that in the slowest gear it moves too fast. At times it makes the automatic auger (being able to release the lever) feature useless, as I have to feather the drive lever to slow it down.

Now, I have every gear position, so it isn't like I am lined up in 2nd in the first postion.

Is there anyway to have it run slower? I don't care if it runs slower in reverse as well.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Usually it is possible to adjust the trans linkage to favor reverse. This will slow down all F speeds and speed up all R speeds. Some machines have more adjustment room than others.

Other options would be:
Cut a new slot in the dash between N and F1.
Change the pulleys and gear ratios to slow down the wheels.
Change to smaller diameter wheels.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
Well after my first use of my new snow blower in 30+ inches of snow in this weekends historic snow totals in downstate NY (Long Island)... I am in love. Now, my only issue is that in the slowest gear it moves too fast. At times it makes the automatic auger (being able to release the lever) feature useless, as I have to feather the drive lever to slow it down.

Now, I have every gear position, so it isn't like I am lined up in 2nd in the first postion.

Is there anyway to have it run slower? I don't care if it runs slower in reverse as well.

Thoughts?
We get a lot of storm normally here except this year because I got a new snow Blower . But I never used a friction drive blower after a storm that I didn't have to play with the drive lever even in first gear . They set the first gear for 16 inch of snow I believe. And probably not wet or hard packed stuff.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Will notching the lever below 1st cause damage to the trans?

If not, how does one determine how far to make the notch?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
I would try to adjust it before I started grinding on the control panel but that would work too.

If you wanted to know where to grind just fire the machine up and engage the drive out in the open and gently move the shifter to a position with a low speed you like and use something to mark the panel for a grinder and or round file.

This might help you understand how it's working.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
It might cause extra wear on the friction disc rubber, but in general it won't damage anything. You can actually use the blower with the shifter in any position, it just won't lock unless it is in one of the gears. You can experiment with holding the shifter in one hand while engaging the wheels and see what speed is comfortable. When you find the spot you like mark the dash for where to cut it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
The thing about the shifter is you can gently move it while it's running and engaged but if you force it gear to gear then you can do damage.

Being gentle with it you can move it around below first without damage but like I said you just want to be gentle. Or you can disengage, move a bit and engage drive again.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
Will notching the lever below 1st cause damage to the trans?

If not, how does one determine how far to make the notch?
Grinding a notch would probably void your warranty. Don't want to do that on a new machine.

If you tilt the blower up on its bucket, you can see how the drive works. In the fastest gear, the rubber wheel should be at the edge of the aluminum drive plate. At the slowest speed, it should be near the centre of the plate. In reverse, it will be on the opposite side of the plate. See how close to centre it is in 1st gear forward, then adjust the linkage if possible to move it closer to centre, but NOT right on the centre line or it won't go anywhere.

If you cannot get what you need in that adjustment, then talk to your dealer and ask about getting a smaller pulley for the traction system on the engine. You would probably have to replace the drive belt as well for a slightly shorter version to keep the correct tension.

Best bet is to remove gas from the tank before tilting the machine up, and let it sit for a while after lowering it back down to let the oil run back into the crank case.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-25-2016 at 10:49 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
To avoid any problems with your warranty, but get the lowest forward gear, you can optimize the trans reverse setting. The hex shaft that turns the friction wheel has two stops, forward stop and reverse stop, that are pins fitting into the hex shaft. The trans shifter adjustment will not force the friction wheel carrier mechanism against both stops. So adjust the shifter mechanism to ensure the friction wheel mechanism is tightly against the reverse stop (right side of driven plate when machine in maintenance position). When you then move the trans to the 6th gear position it will barely reach the stop.

That adjustment will give you the fastest reverse and the slowest first gear for the stock machine. So your warranty is still good. With this adjustment my first gear is so slow it is a pain and I never use it but reverse is nice.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
post #10 of 13 Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, that video gave me all the visuals I needed. I will try and mess with it when I have free time. I doubt we will get another 30"+ snow storm this season, so I should be good. It was just too much snow to move this time at the slowest speed. I can see under normal snow totals (foot or less), it would be perfectly fine in the stock location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page