post #1 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
which 24 to get?

Hello everyone,
great forum and I can't wait until I join the Ariens family!....unless you tell me to stick with my Toro SS.

living in NJ, my snow storms are usually somewhere between 3 to 8 inches, for which I have a toro SS, which does its job in my driveway ( 2 cars wide, two cars deep), but struggles with the 60 ft of sidewalks (because of the plowed snow overflowing into the sidewalks) and also struggles with the EOD. I had been debating whether to upgrade to a two stage and after this past storm, there is no more debating.

I've been reading and I need your input on which one to get. My three options are the sno-tek 24, compact 24 and the delux 24.

the delux 24 seems to be too much of a machine for what I have and my usual snow storm, unless you say otherwise.

the sno-tek, seems to be the right size, but the aluminum gear casing makes me wonder if it will last when compared to the steel one in the compact 24. I don't ever recall snowblowing at night, so I don't need a light. The plastic chute doesn't worry me, as my SS has a plastic chute and there have been no issues there.

The compact 24, is what I would like mainly because of the steel gear case, but is it worth an extra $250?

Another question: Whichever one you suggest, how good is it with 3-5 inches?

thanks for your input!

Last edited by jrguzmanr; 01-27-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bwdbrn1 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 256
Compact 24 - It will do just fine with 3-5 inches, but maybe not throw the snow as far. I'd say the Compact 24 will be just fine. If you feel frisky and want some Tim Allen grunting.. get the Platnium 24 SHO.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post
Hello everyone,
great forum and I can't wait until I join the Ariens family!....unless you tell me to stick with my Toro SS.

living in NJ, my snow storms are usually somewhere between 3 to 8 inches, for which I have a toro SS, which does its job in my driveway ( 2 cars wide, two cars deep), but struggles with the 60 ft of sidewalks (because of the plowed snow overflowing into the sidewalks) and also struggles with the EOD. I had been debating whether to upgrade to a two stage and after this past storm, there is no more debating.

I've been reading and I need your input on which one to get. My three options are the sno-tek 24, compact 24 and the delux 24.

the delux 24 seems to be too much of a machine for what I have and my usual snow storm, unless you say otherwise.

the sno-tek, seems to be the right size, but the aluminum gear casing makes me wonder if it will last when compared to the steel one in the compact 24. I don't ever recall snowblowing at night, so I don't need a light. The plastic chute doesn't worry me, as my SS has a plastic chute and there have been no issues there.

The compact 24, is what I would like mainly because of the steel gear case, but is it worth an extra $250?

Another question: Whichever one you suggest, how good is it with 3-5 inches?

thanks for your input!

You have some choices here and I would even add the Cub Cadet 524 SWE to the mix as a good 24" machine at a reasonable price $799. at Tractor Supply.

However based on experience I have learned many times cheaper costs more in the long-run. I would go with the Ariens Deluxe 24 it is a good mix of power (the 254cc engine works well with this heavy duty 24" machine but IMO is underpowered on the Deluxe 28), features and Ariens long-term durability.

A good Ariens dealer that offers "online pricing" will sell the Deluxe 24 for $999. USD. I believe they are offering a 6 month no interest with payments promo at this point.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose!

Last edited by Cardo111; 01-27-2016 at 05:49 AM.
post #4 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
hello JR, welcome to SBF!! I would go with the delux 24, a little more motor isn't a bad thing to have

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sounds like you've done some research. I'd say that the peace of mind you would give yourself by choosing the Compact 24 with it's steel gear case would be worth the extra cost.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Sounds like you've done some research. I'd say that the peace of mind you would give yourself by choosing the Compact 24 with it's steel gear case would be worth the extra cost.
Research? Yeah, I read the last 20 pages of this forum alone. But that would be impossible without the folks that actively participate and take tine out of their busy days to respond and assist others. So to all of you here, a big thanks goes your way!

I'm leaning towards the compact 24, I don't have any snow in my forecast for the next week, so that will give me some time to go and actually touch it.

The one thing that I am disappointed in and I don't know if this is an industry practice, but the two dealers closest to me, that are not a big box store, say on their website that they only service what they sell. Don't take me wrong, I will always support local B&M stores when I can, but it does seem like they are twisting my arm just a bit.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
I have a compact 24 and the only time I have any issues is with end of driveway pile from snow plow and a full bucket can cause mine to bog. On fallen snow, it can be over the bucket and it runs without any issue. I'm in North Jersey in the Mountains(2 miles from MTN Creek) and we typically get more snow than Central gets.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
For what it's worth, I live in MA, we get pretty decent storms. I've had an MTD and an Ariens with aluminum auger gearboxes. Neither gave me any trouble.

Both were almost 20 years old when I sold them, and I bought the MTD with a sheared Woodruff key within the auger gearbox. So it had hit something hard, but the aluminum gearbox itself was still OK (it cost me $1 to replace the sheared key). I wouldn't view an aluminum gearbox as a kiss of death.

My current Ariens has a cast iron gearbox, which is nice, but probably not essential.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The SnoTek 24 is a great machine and for a $250 savings it might be worth it to you. My concern with the SnoTek 24 vs the Ariens is the tire size. The Ariens has 15 inch tires vs the 13 inch on the SnoTek. That is the only thing I don't care for on my SnoTek. Otherwise it has been a great machine over the last 5 yrs.

P.S. - We had over 18 ft of snow last year and my SnoTek 24 never failed.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
billy and RedOctobyr, I guess it's safe to say that both of you get more snow than I do so I guess the sno-tek 24 is back into consideration, specially if you had an aluminum gear box and didn't have any issues.

Billy, how does the sno-tek handle the EOD?

My understanding is that the sno-tek is only sold by the H-store and not the B&M dealers. If that's correct, what is your plan for service if ever required during warranty and post-warranty period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page