I reached out to Ariens with some Feedback for Auto-Turn - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 235
Likes (Received): 47
I reached out to Ariens with some Feedback for Auto-Turn

First let me start by saying that I love both my new Deluxe 28 SHO and my new Razor. I love everything about both of my units with the exception of Auto Turn on my SHO. This is a more of a feedback email. Itís a wide spread thing with owners of Auto Turn, and is very active on snowblowerforum.com that it usually is very erratic and requires you to muscle the machine just to get it to track straight and wanders all over the place. Most people and myself include inflated the tires properly and adjusted the housing and skids per the Ariens video on YouTube but with little change. BUT the thing that DID in EVERY case solve the problem and get people loving their Auto Turn Ariens again was the Ariens Poly Skids. I opened a ticket with Ariens Support who had determined that there was some other kind of issue and that I would need to bring it back to the dealer which I have no way of doing besides renting a truck. So I though what the heck and purchased the Poly Skids on the way home from work. The moment I put those skids on it was a night and day difference and worked like the way it should have when the dealer delivered it. Before I couldn't even use just the one lever and try to rotate the chute because it would go all over the place. And even with 2 hands trying go down the driveway with 1 inch of snow it was turning left and right. Now I can rotate the chute with 1 hand and plow into deep snow and it tracks straighter than an arrow. But the whole meaning of this email is merely a suggestion that Ariens with Auto Turn should come stock with Poly Skids. I love the company, I love the product and Iím a customer for life. I just see SOOO many examples online of people asking for advice on which blower to buy and are turned away from Ariens because of the metal skids causing too much friction. I know the poly skids must have a generous revenue income for the company but for the little amount of money they must cost Ariens it is 2000 percent worth adding them to your Snow blowers as to avoid potential customers choosing another brand. I hope this email reaches someone higher up because again, my dad has an Ariens and Iíve only owned Ariens myself as well and love spreading the word about it. But I also need to be honest with people when they ask about Auto Turn and why I had to spend extra money on Poly Skids. Thanks for making such a great product and I look forward to buying more of your products!

2016 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO AX306cc (921044) | Drift Cutters | Front Weight Kit | Handwarmers
1965 Ariens 10ML60D with 1970 10,000 Series Sno-Thro Attachment 10995 | Tecumseh H70-130216G (7HP)
2016 Ariens Razor SP Mower AC159cc (911175)
2016 Predator 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watt Generator 13HP 420cc (69671)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT, 43128 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
I don't know why so many people stay with this problem and act like nothing is wrong. I know not all blowers are perfect but thread after thread on man handling these things....wow. I have read where people put larger poly skids on them to help....but I still love the trigger turning so it can run straight . Hope they get the kinks worked out on this other wise great machine.....

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

video going thru 31.9" Storm Feb 2016
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Honestly, the moment the Poly Skids went on it tracked straight as an arrow and the Auto Turn wasnt sensitive at all. It only turned when you wanted it to turn.

2016 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO AX306cc (921044) | Drift Cutters | Front Weight Kit | Handwarmers
1965 Ariens 10ML60D with 1970 10,000 Series Sno-Thro Attachment 10995 | Tecumseh H70-130216G (7HP)
2016 Ariens Razor SP Mower AC159cc (911175)
2016 Predator 8750 Peak/7000 Running Watt Generator 13HP 420cc (69671)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
that's good. After I replied I was looking and came across a thread with I believe 33 thousand views as a sticky about the problem. I actually was close to pulling the trigger on getting the Ariens at my dealer but ended up getting the cubby from him instead. Love when the machines (no matter what brand) actually work as advertised! LOL Didn't want anyone thinking I was picking or trolling etc.....we just had 31.9" of the white stuff this past Saturday. Glad mine worked extremely well.

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

video going thru 31.9" Storm Feb 2016
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 19
probably just a matter of time until ariens realizes different shoe makes a huge difference on their auto turn machines and they start selling them stock. surprised it has taken them this long after reading all the complaints and folks changing the shoes with great results.
seems like a no brainer
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elt31987 View Post
Honestly, the moment the Poly Skids went on it tracked straight as an arrow and the Auto Turn wasnt sensitive at all. It only turned when you wanted it to turn.
Is it just certain Model I wonder? I seen a lot on here about problems but never really experienced it myself.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have a 28 deluxe. I had the dreaded wonder problem, I went to my local ariens dealer and looked and played with all of the models they had. from the compact to the professional. The thing that stood out the most was when I pushed down on the handles, some machines the bucket was light and some, like my machine were very heavy.

My 2cents. my heavy bucket is considerably easier to handle with the poly skids. in other words the balance of weight between the bucket and the wheels determines how well the auto turn works.

does this make sense?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes certainly does
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
The Armor Skids also work well, but presumably in a different way. The poly skids are reducing friction against the ground so that irregularities are less influential on the tracking of the machine. The Armor skids increase the surface area, and by doing so, accomplish the same end result of a straighter path. I've been able to consistently drive over 1/4 to 1/2inch ridges between the concrete sidewalk slabs without any effect on the tracking. Personally, I like the Armor Skids better for the fact that they are more durable and are less likely to catch on something and stress the blower housing during impact.

-----------------------------------------
2013 Ariens P24
post #10 of 18 Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I tried the armor skids before I settled on the poly skids. I think the poly skids slide better on the abrasive ground better, lessening the downward force(weight) of the bucket.

on a related note, I added 15lbs of weight to the bucket, made it worse and it was so front end heavy I could hardly push the handle bars down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page