LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New ST24LE Deluxe in the family...

After last week's blizzard, it was time for an upgrade from our '80s vintage Troy Bilt 21". I was watching our neighbor with an Ariens chew through the stuff with minimal effort, tossing it 30'+ even in the slush. I did quite a bit of reading through the forums here deciding between Ariens and Husqvarna.

I went with the Ariens 24" Deluxe for the bigger 254cc engine, iron gearbox, and bigger auger/tiller with extra bracing. Just finished putting it together (had it shipped to home), checked the fluid levels, gassed it, and off we went. I ran it no-load for 15mins with the auger spinning to let the belts and gears get up to temp, then blew a few trails in the yard to load the engine for break-in. No complaints!

Thanks everyone for all the posts, loads of good information here.

Handwarmer kit should arrive next week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
After last week's blizzard, it was time for an upgrade from our '80s vintage Troy Bilt 21". I was watching our neighbor with an Ariens chew through the stuff with minimal effort, tossing it 30'+ even in the slush. I did quite a bit of reading through the forums here deciding between Ariens and Husqvarna.

I went with the Ariens 24" Deluxe for the bigger 254cc engine, iron gearbox, and bigger auger/tiller with extra bracing. Just finished putting it together (had it shipped to home), checked the fluid levels, gassed it, and off we went. I ran it no-load for 15mins with the auger spinning to let the belts and gears get up to temp, then blew a few trails in the yard to load the engine for break-in. No complaints!

Thanks everyone for all the posts, loads of good information here.

Handwarmer kit should arrive next week...

Congrats on the new beast!

You made a good choice, that engine is a good fit for that machine. Best of luck with it. Ariens has top notch customer support as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1652
Likes (Received): 583
hello waypoint, welcome to SBF and congrats on the upgrade

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 9 Old 01-30-2016, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Now it won't snow.... you know that right? :>P

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
I ran it no-load for 15mins with the auger spinning to let the belts and gears get up to temp, then blew a few trails in the yard to load the engine for break-in. No complaints!
Keep track of the first 5 hours of use, then swap out the oil.
I know I keep harping on this fact but lotta people seam to over look this important part of keeping the machine running tip/top for many years to come.

OH,,,, and welcome to the forum.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftoff1967 View Post
Quote:
I ran it no-load for 15mins with the auger spinning to let the belts and gears get up to temp, then blew a few trails in the yard to load the engine for break-in. No complaints!
Keep track of the first 5 hours of use, then swap out the oil.
I know I keep harping on this fact but lotta people seam to over look this important part of keeping the machine running tip/top for many years to come.

OH,,,, and welcome to the forum.
Lot of mention about the first 5 hours on these machines. Does the factory use special oil specifically made for engine break in?

What if one were to change the oil earlier and go to either regular oil or synthetic to get rid of impurities ASAP? Would that cause premature damage? Chances are my new machine won't get to 5 hours before next winter and I'd like to have fresh oil before next winter.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2016, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Vincent, I am in the same boat as you regarding the fact that there is a good chance I will not get 5 hours of use on the machine this season. I have about 2 hours on mine. I will likely not change the oil until next season and will be using Dino 5W30, to allow the piston rings to get hot enough to seat properly. I will either change to synthetic after I have gotten at least 5 hours of under load use or at the 3rd season of use.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Vincent_Diesel liked this post
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Just got a deluxe 24 myself. I've only got about 2hrs on mine. If I don't get to run it any more I will change the oil before I put it away. Then I will change the oil again after 3 or 4 more hrs of run time. I don't see how this could cause any problems. If these new engines are that senseative then we really have problems. I grew up mowing a hugh yard and my churches cemetery. Those engines lasted for years and they didn't even have the cast iron sleeves, which make a Hugh difference. They also had bushings on the crank shafts instead of the roller bearings that the new ones have. Theses new engines should last for years, and I have rebuilt my share of small engines over the years. Just my 2 cents.

Ariens 24" Deluxe
My First Snowblower
No No No I don't shovel it no more.
Got tired of waking up on the floor.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
I forgot to add that my dad used to run the oil he took out of the car in the mowers. He kept the oil from his car oil changes and used it to add to the mowers as they used a little oil each year. My how times have changed. Lol

Ariens 24" Deluxe
My First Snowblower
No No No I don't shovel it no more.
Got tired of waking up on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page