Ariens Path Pro. Who has one? Do they like it? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 18
Ariens Path Pro. Who has one? Do they like it?

Currently looking to purchase a new single stage snow thrower.

I have looked at the Toro qzr721 and also want to look at the ariens path pro SS21EC.

I have not yet seen the Ariens in person as my local Home Depot does not sell them locally, so I have to go to an actual Ariens dealer to see one in person.

Wondering who has one of the new path pros, would they buy it again, do they like them, and what don't they like about them?

What I have seen online about them that I truly like is; the open engine concept and the top open door, easy to drain, fill & check oil,
Engine guard so the snow blower can be tilted back, fuel shut off, and 3yr warranty.

Owned a Toro QZR621, it was nice however engine main seal blew. Factory default on mine, returned to HD. What I really liked about it was it really blew the snow, pivoting scraper bar that didn't hit grooves in pavement and quick shoot to put snow wherever you wanted it.

Didn't like about the Toro was the completely enclosed engine, plastic housing (felt cheap) small tires that would clog up with snow, filling / checking oil a major pain due to the location.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 225
Likes (Received): 135
Steve, I bought the most basic Path Pro two seasons ago. It replaced a couple of tired Toro CCR 2000 throwers. I guess I like the fact that it's 4 stroke. It's got really good power.... that has surprised me a bit.

It weighs more than the Toros and feels slightly less agile. When I started it this year (first pull), it surges perpetually unless under full load. I'm going to do what I can to check the carb, but not get in too deep cuz it's under warranty.

I can't comment on any contemporary similar units, I don't have experience with competitors. I have been very pleased with the Path Pro so far.

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #3 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I still have a CCR2000 that just turned 28yrs old, new paddles, scraper bar, and primer. Throws snow really good. Just really loud and smelly engine.

The 2000 has been my trusty snow blower for some time now, just tired of the noise.

My 2000 was surging this year as well, put some seafoam in with the gas, and that fixed the surging.

Thanks
post #4 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, I've done the Seafoam already and that doesn't appear to have helped at all.

Some suggest the needle on the main jet has a rubber cover on it and it get's buggered if you leave gas in the carb at season-end.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, leaving gas in the carb can sometimes be an issue with the ethanol gas.

At the end of the season I always run mine dry, then remove the carb bolt just in case.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
It's not so much the ethanol, it's the fact that the float is causing deformation of the rubber tip on the needle due to constant, upward pressure.

(I don't know if any of this is true, but there's a video on you-know-where of someone disassembling an LCT carb.)
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Lady friend bought the top of the line with electric start and remote chute. She has no complaints. Starts easily even using the pull cord, has plenty of power.

She did have a issue, and I'm to blame. I assembled it, and ran the remote chute cables under the folding part of the handle. Last spring when she put it away and folded the handle the cables pulled out and stretched the sheathing resulting in the chute not rotating fully. Ariens did warranty it. So be sure to route them over the top of center section. The directions make no mention of this.

Compared to the Toro's we looked at the Ariens has bigger wheels and seems like a more robust unit. The lower bumper to protect the engine is useful too.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I have not had luck, personally, with adding Seafoam to clean a carb that is already running poorly. I've tried several times.

But short-term, you could try adding a little choke to richen the mixture, and see if that helps smooth it out. That's helped on 2 engines of mine.

Mine have been fixed by cleaning the carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LET-UT liked this post
post #9 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Ive had some luck using B12 chemtool spray, a few shots into the intake bore of the carb while the engine is running. Obviously works better if it at least runs a little bit, but Ive managed to never even have to remove the EPA-era carb from my 10 year old Tec engine.

The few times its started running rough the B12 spray into the intake has resolved those issues.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Guys, thanks, I have tried the choke trick and it makes no difference at all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page