post #1 of 20 Old 02-06-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 121
Garage
Upgrading fuel tank on Platinum 30 SHO

I cannot put more than 2.4 liters of gas in my 3 liter tank and it runs out of fuel several times while cleaning up after or during heavier snow falls. I would like to replace my fuel tank or somehow increase its size.

I was thinking of replacing my tank with the 1.45 gallon (5.5 liters) Ariens Pro gas tank.

Any ideas on how to go about increasing fuel capacity?

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes knu2xs liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-06-2016, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
I'm interested in this also, I usually have to fill up 2 times to do all the walks driveway etc. I get about 45 mins of run time out of a full tank.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 85
Mine is a 414cc motor on a non-SHO Platinum 30 (921029) and my manual states 3.8 quarts US or 3.6 liters for both the 414cc and 291cc motor used in the Platinum 24 (921028) and Deluxe 30 (921032.)

How did you (Town) determine the actual capacity to be the 2.4 liters it really seems to be?

I really think Ariens should step up and give us bigger tanks, the size promised in all the literature of the time. How could they make such a big mistake?

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
post #4 of 20 Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
Mine is a 414cc motor on a non-SHO Platinum 30 (921029) and my manual states 3.8 quarts US or 3.6 liters for both the 414cc and 291cc motor used in the Platinum 24 (921028) and Deluxe 30 (921032.)

How did you (Town) determine the actual capacity to be the 2.4 liters it really seems to be?

I really think Ariens should step up and give us bigger tanks, the size promised in all the literature of the time. How could they make such a big mistake?
I have a plastic measuring container marked in liters and half liters. I put fuel into the container to the 2.5 liter mark and filled my empty tank. The fuel started to overflow before I was finished and the container still had 1 liter of fuel remaining. This was with the screen removed but the machine level. I have done this several times before and the volume depends on how much of an air gap you feel comfortable with. This last time it overflowed so is definitely overfilled and a bit less than 2.4 liters. Ariens sent a new tank to my dealer who measured it at 3 liters using 3 plastic oil cans filled with gas. The tank measurements were the same as mine. So I don't know how my measurements differ, but I trust mine.

Based on my experience I would not trust the Ariens 3.6 liters spec of your machine as accurate. The depth of my tank is 2.25" at the filler neck at point of overflowing. The bottom of the tank is flat and cannot go lower because of mounting point under tank and governor mechanism just below tank.

I figure I need a tank that is at least 5" tall and 9" wide and 10" long with an allowance for the oil fill. I intend checking the fuel tank dimensions for the Pro model which appears to be much taller and wider and longer with the oil tube allowance where it needs to be. But my fabrication skills are not a strength.

The other aspect is the engine is very powerful and very thirsty when it gets into deeper and heavier snow, it doesn't bog at all at a good walking pace. And it is only running at 3,500 rpm (in spec) but not up to 3,600 or 3,700 specs. So more power will probably mean more thirst. Another reason for a bigger tank.

post #5 of 20 Old 02-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 18
Hopefully somebody figures something out...

Ariens 2015/2016 30" Platinum SHO #921040
post #6 of 20 Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 8
I'd give the good folks at Ariens a call and let them walk through the issue of tank size. If the tank is truly smaller than spec'd, they might have a replacement, or they may have a typo in the owner's manual. They'd be the ones who would most likely know if there's a larger tank that would fit your engine too. Good luck!

- - - - - - - - - -
Proud owner of an Ariens "Turbine-Powered Drift-Crusher 4000" with optional flame powered auger heaters; aka Ariens Deluxe 28 921030
post #7 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LET-UT View Post
I'd give the good folks at Ariens a call and let them walk through the issue of tank size. If the tank is truly smaller than spec'd, they might have a replacement, or they may have a typo in the owner's manual. They'd be the ones who would most likely know if there's a larger tank that would fit your engine too. Good luck!
Yes I talked to my dealer and Ariens last year. The tank is what it is and way too small but no replacement. LCT list an optional 3.6 liter tank but not for my machine with the gen 3 414 engine. I believe it fits machines with the oil filler tube on the right side like the gen 2 LCT 414 engine, while mine has a left side oil filler tube. I thought with all the complaints last year that Ariens would up the spec for 2016 models, but it is the same small tank.

There is a rumour of a different engine for the Pro models for 2017 that came up as a reason for the very limited production of the 2016 Pro 32. If that turns out to be true and a LCT engine with the current sized 5.5 liter fuel tank it may fit earlier LCT engines. But that info will not be available until late August probably.

post #8 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Good thread with good posts, would be nice if Ariens offered to swap out gas tanks but I wouldn't hold my breath. The gas cap on these newer LCT GEN III engine is a design failure as well. The gas tank on the GEN II 414cc engine is definitely larger than the current lower profile design, how much larger I don't know. It also has a much better gas cap, my only issue with that motor was the side terminating oil drain tube next to the tire.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
The fuel tank has 4 mounting points, two at the side where the electric start solenoid is located and one at the front just above the oil fill tube mounting point. The fourth is located under the tank at the back to the right of the fuel shut off valve and further inboard. It is easy to remove.

I took off all the carb shielding and then removed the tank to adjust the governor, but it appears that you can remove the tank by itself. Remove the two 10mm headed bolts for the carb heat shielding to the left of the fuel shut off knob (after pulling off the knob first). Remove the two 12mm headed bolts by the solenoid for the electric start and the L shaped cover comes away. Loosen the front 12mm head mounting bolt, and remove the 12mm headed bolt just to the right of the fuel shut off, and I used a magnet to remove it. Then finish loosening the front mounting bolt and remove the bolt. The tank can be lifted up but not removed without removing the hose to the carb.

Adapting another tank to fit those mounts would be beyond my fabricating skills. Attached are some pictures to give you an idea of what is involved. Hopefully Ariens will introduce a larger tank for 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Tank 4 mounting points.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	80529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas tank rear mount 1 bolt.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	80537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas tank side mount 2 bolts.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	80545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas tank fuel shut off and hose.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	80553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas tank front mount 1 bolt.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	80561  

post #10 of 20 Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 18
Just look at the outgoing location where the fuel shutoff is....the user is losing usable fuel right there(I know they did this so water and debri doesn't fowl the carb) but I've got a plan for more fuel that I just picked up at my ariens dealer this weekend

Ariens 2015/2016 30" Platinum SHO #921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page