post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BFT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Decisions

I've been lurking on here since December soaking up all the knowledge that I could from here. That has helped me to decide on buying a Deluxe 24" as it has the features and power that should work out great for my property. My dilemma is that now that I have decided what I want, I can't find it locally. My dealer called and had the surrounding states checked for inventory and as it is late in the season there are none to be found. He is reluctance to order one from the factory as the costs to him are very close to the profit he makes on the sale. So my options are:

1: order from dealer and pay the $75 freight charge
2: wait for fall and then purchase from dealer (might be able to take advantage of the extended warranty offer from Ariens if they do it again.
3: Purchase from an online company and have it delivered to my house (no tax/shipping)
4: search for a used machine

I'm tired of shoveling snow, but my gut feeling is to buy from a local dealer and support the dealer. Then if I have any issues they would better take care of me. I would rather wait until the fall so I don't pay the freight but then it is a gamble with how how much snow I might get until then....

So I think #2 is the option I'm going to go with for now. I prefer to have a new machine as I will keep it for (hopefully) decades.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
From what you're saying, #2 sounds like the best option.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
BFT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the reply
post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 09:02 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Option 5; Wait until this spring, take your time and find a REALLY good deal on a used machine. Many of the older machines are, at least, as good as the new ones. Save a few bucks.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
You could buy a used one now and then in the fall buy new .After you get the new one, sell the used one for what you paid for it.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #6 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 17
These rigs are so easy to work on, that if your mechanically inclined , you can keep a used one running for years. I recently bought a 1992 ST1032 for $150 to replace (handed it down to my Dad) my 1972 824.

After the initial $150 about $75 in parts, paint, and a coupla hours labor. I've got a bigger, newer machine that will prolly out last me.

I recently had a guy give me another 1990's 824 with no engine. I'll plug away at it thru the summer. Prolly end up with $200-300 to restore it.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
1. Have you checked out the local dealer's reputation? Some are better than others. If he's got a good rep, by all means, support him. If he's one that believes everything is your fault, maybe think again.

2. If you wait for fall, the price will be at the high point, new season, no sales. You might save 75 on freight, but pay list for the machine. Who knows about extended warranty next year. Maybe yes, maybe no.

3. Online company, might be cheaper, but if it needs warranty work, the local dealer might put you at the bottom of the list, once again, goes back to his reputation.

4. If you buy buy used, you could get a gem for less money, or a pig in a poke, and either way, no warranty.

Depends on how handy you are and if you are willing to look after it yourself, Check out the model you are thinking about and make sure parts are readily available. Review Donyboy73 video on buying a used snowblower to see what to look for. Don't buy it without looking at it hard and in detail.

As was suggested, you could resell a good unit next fall, and buy the machine of your dreams if you don't like the used one.

Just giving some other points to consider here, not going to make a recommendation.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 13 Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
1. Have you checked out the local dealer's reputation? Some are better than others. If he's got a good rep, by all means, support him. If he's one that believes everything is your fault, maybe think again.

A good point ^^^^^ Not all dealers are equal .

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
post #9 of 13 Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BFT

Post Thanks / Like
Great suggestions by all. The dealer does have a good reputation so if I do go new that would be the preferred way to go.

I do all my own maintenance on cars/motorcycles/ATV's & such so working on a snowblower wouldn't be out of my ability range. I have been looking online a little for used machines but haven't run across one yet that has caught my eye.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 44
My recommendation is to wait until next fall. They always run a sale to jump start ssles, and you'll get the latest design. (This assumes that there will not be any major snows in the end of this season).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page