Replacing idler pulley spring on Ariens ST824 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Replacing idler pulley spring on Ariens ST824

During our recent Maryland blizzard, I fired up my recently acquired (but 20+ year old) Ariens ST824. Made it one pass down the driveway before it stopped moving. When I opened the service panel, a broken spring popped out. It appears to have come from the idler pulley that provides tension to the drive belt when the drive lever is depressed.

I have a replacement spring. I have the unit split in half. I cannot figure out how to install this spring (no access and I cannot see where the long end of the spring attaches to the frame).

Seems like if I could remove the large engine pulley, then this would be easy. It appears to be connected to the engine with a large nylon nut, but I cannot seem to break it as the pulley spins freely.

Can anyone advise me on either how to remove the pulley, or how to replace the spring without moving it? Where does the spring attach to the frame? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3848
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to the forum bneubauer001

I think this has been asked before and someone has a photo of it. Hopefully they'll be along soon. I'll see if I can find it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3848
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Maybe one of these might help.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...does-go-2.html

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...lt-spring.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 17
You can get the spring without removing the pulley. A pair of Needle Nose Vise Grips helps considerably.

An impact wrench will remove the drive pulley instantly
post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1150
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 7
ST824 TRACTION Idler

Firstly, please verify the model number. This discussion is for 924050: ie Ariens ST824 1979-1990.

TRACTION Idler is not engaged via the traction handle lever.
It always provides tension on the the traction v-belt.
Only the Auger Idler is engaged by the auger handle lever. It forces the auger belt taut, and then the auger pulley is driven.

Pic is with the traction pulley removed, showing the drive spindle. the other end of the spindle shaft has the Aluminum Friction Disc (ie not the Rubber wheel).
Removing the traction pulley is not easy. Some pulleys have a small hole you can jam a screwdriver blade into...

Spring on lower left is for Traction, I believe the skinny spring in background is for Auger Drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens_ST824_Idler_Traction.png
Views:	280
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	78682  

SB0 - Craftsman
8.5HP/27" 536.881850 (2006) Motor: Briggs 1150 Snow Series
SB1 - SB3 Ariens ST824 (Model #924050)
SB4 - 2018 Ariens Deluxe 24

post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone. The model is 924050. I would really like to get the spring attached without taking the engine pulley off, but I cannot seem to figure out how to fit anything in there. PArt of the problem is that I cannot locate the notch or indent on the frame where the long end of the spring attaches to.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaylake View Post
Firstly, please verify the model number. This discussion is for 924050: ie Ariens ST824 1979-1990.

TRACTION Idler is not engaged via the traction handle lever.
It always provides tension on the the traction v-belt.
Only the Auger Idler is engaged by the auger handle lever. It forces the auger belt taut, and then the auger pulley is driven.

Pic is with the traction pulley removed, showing the drive spindle. the other end of the spindle shaft has the Aluminum Friction Disc (ie not the Rubber wheel).
Removing the traction pulley is not easy. Some pulleys have a small hole you can jam a screwdriver blade into...

Spring on lower left is for Traction, I believe the skinny spring in background is for Auger Drive.
This is it exactly. The pulley does have a hole where a screwdriver could go although when I tried to use this and a large ratchet it started to deform the pulley around the hole. I do not have an air compressor/impact wrench. Just an electric impact driver.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 17
Do you have the bottom cover off??? You can get the spring on/off without removing the pulley. I've done it.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
Do you have the bottom cover off??? You can get the spring on/off without removing the pulley. I've done it.

Last night I finally figured out where the spring attaches to the frame. I was able to reach up there with my hand and attach this end. Now I need to get the short hook end of the spring on the idler arm. I believe that it can be done without removing the pulley but it is awfully tight in there. Any tips of how to do this step? I have to go out a pick up a long neck needlenose plier to see if I can get it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page