LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Chute Control Cable Freeze Up

I have a brand new Platinum 24 blower. On my second usage the chute control cable froze up and I was unable to direct the snow. I had done a lot of research on Ariens vs Toro and went with the Ariens. Now that I have encountered this problem I did a search specific to this problem and it looks like this has been an ongoing problem for Ariens. What good are all the remote controls for the chute control direction and angle if it is going to freeze in every snowstorm. It is not like I use it in the summer. I am very concerned I have made a bad choice. Am I worrying for nothing? When it happened I read the manual and tried to adjust the nuts but I did not realize it was frozen and not just in need of an adjustment. Three days later the dealer came over and adjusted the cable and nuts so it is ready again, I think. I wanted the Platinum because of these extra features but if Ariens cannot built a machine that is weatherproof what good is it? It is stored outside so keeping it warm is not an option. I cannot bring it inside because of the gas. Can anybody reassure me that this was a fluke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1026
You could try lubricating the cable with some type of marine lubricant.
You might want to talk with Blue Hill. He has a Platinum 24 and I believe he's pretty happy with it. Maybe he can give you some ideas.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 AM
HH4

Post Thanks / Like
Bad news is the frozen cables are not a fluke. Mine froze constantly for the first year I had the blower no matter what type of "lube" I used.

Good news is that once I started to fill the cables with antifreeze instead of lube , the chute controls have operated smoothly for the past seven years so far.
post #4 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 39
Buying an Ariens is never a bad decision. However I'm not as sure on "snowthrower cable controls"
post #5 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was afraid I was going to hear this. This is a bad design that seems to have been around forever. Would using a hair dryer along the cable free the jam? I wanted these extra features and never expected the blower to have a cold weather problem.
post #6 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Hey skybar,
Sounds like HH4 may have the solution. I've read of other members doing that as well. It hasn't been a problem for me (knock on wood) but up here we don't get the temperature swings and freeze/thaw cycles that may happen where you are. Also, wet snow is pretty rare up here. Once it gets cold, it pretty much stays cold.
I still think you made a wise choice with your machine and no matter who builds a snowblower, they will all have little quirks. The trick is, to find the solutions to these and you are in the right place to do that.. If it were mine, I don't think I would do anything unless it happens again. It might not.
Good luck and let us know how you are making out. Everyone here will be more than happy to help.
Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you Blue Hill I really appreciate the advice. I just do not understand how a machine designed for only cold weather utilizes parts that cannot handle it. Something right off the factory floor should not require the owner to have to insert antifreeze. Hopefully it will be a one and done problem that I will not encounter again. When searching I see it as far back as 2009. Why has Ariens not fixed it?
post #8 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybar View Post
Thank you Blue Hill I really appreciate the advice. I just do not understand how a machine designed for only cold weather utilizes parts that cannot handle it. Something right off the factory floor should not require the owner to have to insert antifreeze. Hopefully it will be a one and done problem that I will not encounter again. When searching I see it as far back as 2009. Why has Ariens not fixed it?
Sorry man, that question I can't help you with. Maybe HH4 will give us all a step by step on how he did the anti-freeze thing.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
post #9 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
HH4 do you have any pictorial of what you have done?
post #10 of 62 Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Are you at least storing it in a shed? Snowblowers aren't really designed to be stored outside. None are. You'll likely have moisture or weather related issues with any brand if you store them outside. For outdoor storage capability you would need to design in automotive/military type fastener coatings, stainless, or double sided galvanized steel, sealed wet sump transmissions, covered engine bay, control enclosures, expanded use of serviceable lubrication (grease zerks), water recovery type fuel systems or fuel injection, sealed hydraulic or electric actuations, etc. This is all consistent with equipment that can be stored outside.

I've heard of guys filling conduit cables with Fluid Film with success, although I am not familiar with that product.

Last edited by Snowmann; 12-21-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page