Ariens 32" hydropro 926517 electric starter question - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 44
Angry Ariens 32" hydropro 926517 electric starter question

Spring is near and so is summer! I want to get ready for next year with a new snowblower, preferably a 32" Ariens professional quality machine to replace my old 32" Bolens!

But there is a problem. The 32" hydropro currently offered by Ariens operates with a 12vdc starter. That might be OK for a guy that carries a machine around in a truck but not for a home owner. OK, sure, maybe a home owner does not need a professional quality machine, but this home owner will only purchase pro quality.

So my question is can the 926517 model's electric starter be converted/changed to 120vac with a simple swap of the starter? I just do not want to put up with a battery and it's problems.

Don't know why Ariens did away with the 926054 that did use a 120vac starter. Also not sure if that model offered the same steering system as the current model. If the only difference is related to the starter, maybe I should look for a used 926054. A 36" machine is too big and although less expensive, I want to avoid a 28".

Thanks--

Foggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
I can't say specifically without knowing the engine but all the older engines would swap 12V/120V starters. Same mounts.

If you call a dealer they should be able to tell you if there is one available and the price and P/N.

If you know the engine we could look it up too.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...log_MS3880.pdf

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-17-2016 at 12:41 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 17
Why would you think the 12v starter would be a problem?
My lawn tractors don't have a problem when they sit over the winter. They start right up in the spring. Same thing for a blower sitting over the summer?
post #4 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
My lawn tractors don't have a problem when they sit over the winter. They start right up in the spring. Same thing for a blower sitting over the summer?
12V: Needs a battery.
120V: No battery.

12V: Battery will eventually need to be replaced, = $$.
120V: No battery.

12V: Batterys dont like cold..might have trouble starting.
120V: Electrical outlet not bothered by cold.

The only advantage to a battery on a snowblower is if you are a commercial user, and are bringing the snowblower to multiple job sites..

but for a homeowner, 120V starter is soooooooo much better.
you are starting the snowblower in your garage, always.. an extension cord is right there on the wall. no battery to hassle with..no contest, 120V wins by a landslide.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 02-17-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #5 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 172
Likes (Received): 28
Wait until you get older and you may change your tune.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead View Post
I've never had a blower with battery start. But looking at Ariens' high-end offerings the other day, I did notice the battery start on one model (probably this one), and it kinda got me thinking.

I'd argue that tractors are most often used in the summer, so the warmer weather makes the battery happier, and the oil less viscous, making it an easier scenario. And if I can't cut my grass right now because the battery is flat, I can probably wait an hour to let a charger do its job.

For my situation, I would prefer AC-start. 99% of the time, the power will be on. My blower lives in the garage, so an outlet is 10 feet away. So I have infinite cranking time available, if the engine is being difficult. I have to let the starter motor cool, naturally, but that applies to either type.

With battery-start, you don't need a cord, of course. Great if the blower lives in an unpowered shed far from the house. But if the engine is having trouble starting, maybe because it's really cold, or carb issues, that could be trouble. You may only get a few attempts to start it, before the battery starts to weaken. After that, if you can't pull-start it, you might have to hook a charger to the battery for a while, before trying again.

A bunch of us saw that this weekend with our cars in the really-cold snap here in the northeast. The engine gets harder to spin, at the same time that the battery gets weak, an unfortunate combination. My car *normally* starts fine, but it had a hard time this weekend.

Now, normally, yes, the engine should start with a few pulls, or a few seconds of cranking. But we all know that sometimes things happen, and it needs a little more time. If you're relying on the electric start (maybe you have a bad shoulder), and the battery goes flat, while you need to get to work (and don't have an hour to recharge it), that's no good.

This difference was also going through my mind when reading some reviews of battery-powered (cordless) snowblowers, including an Ariens model, vs corded. I'll take my corded electric Toro any day of the week, vs cordless, for my situation. Stopping in the middle of clearing extra-heavy snow due to a dead blower battery? No thanks.

Edit: I see that Scot just made my points, more concisely

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-17-2016 at 06:57 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I rarely ever use my blower when I don't have to shut it off one time away from a 120V outlet. Out at the EOD, usually.

I'm actually looking at a 13 HP engine with a 12v starter to swap onto my 1032.

With the OHV engines there is a compression release. With the 12V starter and a decent battery, I'd imagine you could crank it till the starter over heats

Last edited by Zedhead; 02-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
you are starting the snowblower in your garage, always..
Scot,

You make some good arguments, but that particular one has one huge flaw: what if your engine stalls? Due to running out of gas or any other reason like heavier-than-expected EOD snow?

My driveway is 300' long so in that scenario I'd face the choice of using a 300' extension cord which is very unlikely to work (especially as I don't own one that long), or pushing my ~350 lb. machine all the way back to the garage. Okay scratch the "I" because I always use the pull starter, but my wife would NOT be happy if she were using the machine and found herself in that predicament. And as time passes neither of us are getting any younger... or stronger!

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr, help liked this post
post #9 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I dunno, I can't think of a reason that would shy me away from a 12V starter setup
post #10 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
Scot,

You make some good arguments, but that particular one has one huge flaw: what if your engine stalls? Due to running out of gas or any other reason like heavier-than-expected EOD snow?

My driveway is 300' long so in that scenario I'd face the choice of using a 300' extension cord which is very unlikely to work (especially as I don't own one that long), or pushing my ~350 lb. machine all the way back to the garage. Okay scratch the "I" because I always use the pull starter, but my wife would NOT be happy if she were using the machine and found herself in that predicament. And as time passes neither of us are getting any younger... or stronger!
That's certainly a fair point. It's a scenario that's admittedly not on my radar, because my driveway isn't longer than my extension cord

My comments above were for *my* scenario and experience, my apologies if it sounded like I was trying to imply they must be correct/valid for everyone.

You're absolutely right, there are situations where requiring a cord will be a problem. Shoving these machines manually can be difficult, especially with tracks, as I understand it. More so if you have to go uphill.

I would still rather have an AC-powered starter, personally. For those that prefer battery-powered, I'm glad we all have options!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page