824 Auger Cable STretched, I need Quick Fix NOW - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
824 Auger Cable STretched, I need Quick Fix NOW

Machine is 10 years old mint condition . I have only used it 4 times so far and yesterday noticed auger stuck on startup. Seemed to free up and behaved as normal. I knew it would be back as things always do. Of course today in midst of ice storm on Sunday it's out of whack beyond adjustment. I tried already and all I can get would blow fluff and the belts just slip. I had cover off belts so could see all this .

Bottom line I need this NOW and am pretty good at ghetto rigging . What's the easiest way to make this thing run always on. That will do it till I get a new cable. No lawyer answers please, I promise to keep my mitts outta the end that bites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 39
Probably don't need a cable. The cable pulls a lever that pulls a pulley in to tighten the belt. See if the pulley is adjustable on the lever. And post some pics and a model #.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 297
If the auger belts are slipping, and the chute sticks, my guess would be some corrosion issues.

The correct thing to do is tear it down an clean an lube the surfaces and bearings.

The easy route, is to shoot some penetrating oil at those areas. Do not get any oil on the belts and pulleys. That would only make the situation worse.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Scratch that . Its the belts that are shot. Run out to the end must be stretched to the max. It runs fine in powder but I did smell belt a bit. Now with this icy slush crap if it gets loaded too hard it begins to slip and I have both adjuster to the max. It will do for this storm but it isn't much fun as it sometimes needs pushing a bit. Oh but I wish my tractor starter wasn't in for a rebuild............................It would have been so easy with both machines.

Whoops, didnt see response as I just came in from the nasty and saw this after it refreshed. No nothing dragging inside and I pulled the shears and lubed everything a couple weeks ago. His old grease was plentiful and clean. Those belts are just plain loose probably from slipping the last few years slightly. A few shots of belt dressing and it is ok for the moment but I see a new set of belts in my future real soon.
I had the scraper set at 1 1/4" like the book said for unpaved drives. All I can say is lots of luck with that. It worked ok with powder but kept leaving behind that inch plus build up that really packed down and built up more. Back down to 1/2" and now it doesn't try to climb up like an ice breaker ship.

Last edited by driz; 12-22-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: didn't see answer posted
post #5 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 297
Well, at least you have it narrowed down.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I pulled the belts today. Not much of a job but still enough of a headache since the thing has to essentially split in half to pull them. I tried to get some new ones today at a couple auto parts places and of course can't find anything. I'm no fan of the only Ariens dealer we have locally but I guess I will have to bite the bullet this time.
The auger belt is noticeably worn . The drive belt on the other hand shows no defects whatsoever which is strange to me. I had the cable adjusters full in and it slipped enough to stop the wheels every time the going got rough. I did a lot of pushing and didn't much like it. That belt much be stretched just enough to slip . One thing for sure. I'm not putting that thing back together till I get the new belts, too much headache for that. The crappy part was that I really put this through it's paces earlier in the season to see if anything like this was going to happen and it worked perfectly. Oh Well......
post #7 of 14 Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
HH4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
In your first post you mentioned the auger was stuck on start up. If the auger was frozen (with ice buildup) when you engaged it , this could glaze and stretch the belt resulting in the problem with the machine not throwing the snow.

As for the drive problem , are you certain its the drive belt that's slipping and not the friction wheel?

2013 Honda HSS928TC
2006 Ariens 11528LE
post #8 of 14 Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
2 things:

If your wheel drive is slipping, 99% chance it's not the belt. You should look for the problem elsewhere.

If you put an aftermarket auger belt on this machine, plan on replacing it again real soon, especially if your model has a 14" impeller. The OEM Ariens' belts -are- that much better than aftermarket. Aramid belts are not all the same. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong. The large Ariens machines move a lot of snow and likewise demand a lot from the auger belts. This is the last place you should cut corners (along with aftermarket gear case lubricant).

Traction belts are not a big deal. You could go aftermarket there if the size is exact. If the size is not right on, you could fatigue the idler spring or cause an idler interference.

If you let me know your model and serial number I can be of more help.

PK
post #9 of 14 Old 12-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4364
Likes (Received): 1742
Garage
Who makes the Ariens belt ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The auger belt is no big deal. I pulled it apart right down to the friction disk and its all fine. Disk has 1/4" rubber no bad spots. The belt which worked fine last week good question. It is looking good to me no obvious glazing ect. Gears and chains down below fine too no gease on anything not proper either. I'll put the thing back together again and leave the cover off and see if I can see slippage by putting a few stripes on the belt top with my yellow junkyard marker. For all I know it may have an aftermarket belt on it, no marking whatsoever. It just seems to be getting some slippage as if it's not in 4th it isn't trying to move. I'll try it again and see if something is different......but that little guy on my shoulder says.......

Oh yea Model 932-101 824 (2003)

Last edited by driz; 12-24-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page