Tipping snowblower into "service position"? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Tipping snowblower into "service position"?

Sometime this Spring I'm going to need to replace the friction disc in my 926106. And in order to do this, I evidently need to tip the snowblower up onto its nose into the "service position."

Well, my unit weights - maybe 350 lbs? and I'm certainly not as spry as I used to be. I have tried to use the "brute force" approach, but this brute doesn't have as much force as he used to have, and I didn't get too far. I don't have any sturdy relatives nearby.

So my question is, does anyone have a clever way for one person to do this, or at least to get the tipping started? Ramps? A jack? A hoist? Some clever way to use a long 2 x 4 as a prying lever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
Simplest method would be to recuit a neighbor, tell them exactly what the expectations are. Also have a few different sized blocks of wood handy. Maybe a few short 2x4 or 4x4 pieces. My Toro 521 needs a block due to the top of the bucket sloping back so much. Before tipping machine make sure the gas tank is close to empty and if not, remove the gas cap and put some plastic over the filler hole and screw the cap back on.
Someone else may have a much better idea but that's the simplest I can think of.
I have to ask..... Have you actually tried tipping it yourself to see if you can do it? 350# is a lot of weight. How big a snowblower do you have? It must be a monster.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 584
hello old geezer, welcome to SBF!! now that is a problem, maybe getting the wheels on the 2 x 4 will give you enough leverage to tilt it the rest of the way, I was wondering a few years ago if my portable jack would fit underneath

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I don't know what you have around but:

a set of old style car ramps. Back up the ramps and then turn it off and let the front down. Walk around to the front and maybe pull it over forward instead of lifting from the back? Or if comfortable enough, drive forward up the ramps stopping short of going over so you can turn it off. Forward would be more of a balancing act. Backwards it wouldn't have anywhere to fall to as the front would still be on the ground.

Or if you have some time and scrap wood build a platform the size of the machine maybe a foot high, 2 boards to drive up onto the platform then roll the front off slowly and tip the rest of the way from standing position on the platform.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
Or a bunch of blocks and 1 long 2x4. Use the 2 by as a lever and lift a little, put a block under each wheel, lift a little more, add a block, etc. Once it gets going you can finish pulling over from the front.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks micah68kj thanked for this post
post #6 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
If you have access to an open beam or truss you may want to consider using one of these. Block the wheels in the front and lift it.

Chain Hoist - Low Sale Prices on this 1 Ton Chain Hoist

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Floor jack and jack stands might just do the trick. Anyhoo, ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
I don't know what you have around but:

a set of old style car ramps. Back up the ramps and then turn it off and let the front down. Walk around to the front and maybe pull it over forward instead of lifting from the back? Or if comfortable enough, drive forward up the ramps stopping short of going over so you can turn it off. Forward would be more of a balancing act. Backwards it wouldn't have anywhere to fall to as the front would still be on the ground.

Or if you have some time and scrap wood build a platform the size of the machine maybe a foot high, 2 boards to drive up onto the platform then roll the front off slowly and tip the rest of the way from standing position on the platform.
I almost wonder if you could just back it up the ramps and work on it that way....just need to drop the belly pan which can be done with the unit on the ramps. And the ramps would lift it enough to give a little more room to work, all without having to flip the unit into service position.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
The ramps would be in the way, you gotta be 'up close and personal' to work on the insides of the machine.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 66
If you have fuel in the unit, it's a good idea to turn the fuel shut-off OFF before tilting the machine over; or the float will open the main needle and you'll have fuel all over the place.

And an empty tank is always best; but I read somewhere that a double layer of saran wrap (or any plastic wrap) on the fuel tank inlet with the cap screwed back down tight will seal the Air Vent in the Cap, and keep the fuel inside the tank) . . . . I don't know where I read this (and I've searched); but it works !

Just remember to un-do whatever it is that you did to prevent spillage BEFORE trying to start the Unit again . . . . because it won't start otherwise. I've learned this.

Last edited by Vermont007; 02-19-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page