LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Hot Rodding for more traction speed?

Has anyone ever done anything to speed up the traction drive on a disc drive machine?

I have a Pro Tack 28 with disc drive I recently picked up.It's quite a bit slower moving than what it's replacing which is an old wheeled Snow Chief 8.5hp 25".

Have ordered up wheels for converting it to wheel drive if I can't put up with the tracks down the road since it's almost impossible to move the machine when not under power which may in itself speed up the machine due to the possible different diameter of the 16" tires vs. the diameter of the track.
Short of that though am thinking if I change out the traction drive pulley for the next size up on the engine output shaft and go with a larger belt that should do the trick.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2016, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
That would be my thought too. Larger pulley on the engine, with appropriately-longer belt.

Of course, first make sure that the transmission is adjusted properly, so the friction wheel is giving you the most forward speed possible, while still keeping enough reverse speed.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
If you change the drive ratio, it will go faster. It will still be hard to move without power however. if you measure the drive pulley, and the driven pulley, you will get the ratio you have now by dividing the small diameter by the large diameter. If you know the maximum forward speed now, with the current pulley ratio, you can figure out what speed you would get by using a larger drive pulley.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 5 Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
Ariens has a ground speed table for the Pro models with disc and hydro versions of wheel and track drive here: Snow Blower Ground speed-Old & New Pro series

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster View Post
Has anyone ever done anything to speed up the traction drive on a disc drive machine?

I have a Pro Tack 28 with disc drive I recently picked up.It's quite a bit slower moving than what it's replacing which is an old wheeled Snow Chief 8.5hp 25".

Have ordered up wheels for converting it to wheel drive if I can't put up with the tracks down the road since it's almost impossible to move the machine when not under power which may in itself speed up the machine due to the possible different diameter of the 16" tires vs. the diameter of the track.
Short of that though am thinking if I change out the traction drive pulley for the next size up on the engine output shaft and go with a larger belt that should do the trick.

Any thoughts?
I know for the hydro track it's 2.2 mph and wheel is 2.7. I would be somewhat worried about the friction disc as track put a lot more force then wheels to the ground when running. Somewhat like a truck going up.a.hill in 3rd gear instead of 1st much harder on the clutch as it slips. I'm thinking that it could be why it's slower so it's not so hard on the belts and possibly the disc. But since part of my job is drive system I'm pretty sure my hunch is accurate. But you can always try it and if it's hard on belts or disc go back to stock sheave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page