Winters Coming - Decussion on Model to Purchase - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Winters Coming - Decussion on Model to Purchase

Hello Everyone,

I have been narrowing down on a new snowblower and looking at several different companies but I keep coming back to Ariens. (Reading through the forums, I think I sound like a broken record) To me its the simplicity of their machines (dont change somethings thats not broke, the steel specifically) that real gets me but there's allot of other little things that keep bringing me back. I have looked at craftsman as my father and an acquaintance have one and they have been solid but im not a fan of other stuff. (maintenance is key) I also looked at a recent sale from lowes on a troy built but that thing felt really cheap an would probably have been under powered.

I am in the Central New York lake effect area so it can be four inches of powder where I am and two feet down the street, so snow amount are variable but the average is about 70 inches a year for the area. Also depending on where the bands hit I could see two feet in a four hour period.

I have been leaning towards the compact 24, deluxe 24 or the deluxe 28. My thoughts being that the deluxe 24 is the best workhorse to price point for the size but I am also leaning towards the compact so I dont have to deal with the auto-turn and its a bit cheaper. I enjoy the fact that the shoot adjustment is remotely capable but I like the traditional crank for turning the chute. These fancy joystick things just seem like a ploy and something that can easily break right in the middle of winter when you need it most. Has anyone added the heated handles themselves as I see them for sale?

I am going to try and purchase from a local dealer but I think my best deal might be through home depot. What are peoples thoughts on local dealers vs big box stores? If there is a warranty problem is Ariens pretty lenient on homeowners doing repairs themselves if its something simple or do they require a dealer perform the work.

Thoughts, concerns, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 504
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1216
ALOHA from the paradise city..

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh yeah forgot that bit.

Hello everyone

<-------------- Newbie member.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogey View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been narrowing down on a new snowblower and looking at several different companies but I keep coming back to Ariens. (Reading through the forums, I think I sound like a broken record) To me its the simplicity of their machines (dont change somethings thats not broke, the steel specifically) that real gets me but there's allot of other little things that keep bringing me back. I have looked at craftsman as my father and an acquaintance have one and they have been solid but im not a fan of other stuff. (maintenance is key) I also looked at a recent sale from lowes on a troy built but that thing felt really cheap an would probably have been under powered.

I am in the Central New York lake effect area so it can be four inches of powder where I am and two feet down the street, so snow amount are variable but the average is about 70 inches a year for the area. Also depending on where the bands hit I could see two feet in a four hour period.

I have been leaning towards the compact 24, deluxe 24 or the deluxe 28. My thoughts being that the deluxe 24 is the best workhorse to price point for the size but I am also leaning towards the compact so I dont have to deal with the auto-turn and its a bit cheaper. I enjoy the fact that the shoot adjustment is remotely capable but I like the traditional crank for turning the chute. These fancy joystick things just seem like a ploy and something that can easily break right in the middle of winter when you need it most. Has anyone added the heated handles themselves as I see them for sale?

I am going to try and purchase from a local dealer but I think my best deal might be through home depot. What are peoples thoughts on local dealers vs big box stores? If there is a warranty problem is Ariens pretty lenient on homeowners doing repairs themselves if its something simple or do they require a dealer perform the work.

Thoughts, concerns, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I think you answered your own question. The Ariens Deluxe 24 would be a very good choice. It is just the right size for that 254cc LCT motor. A few years ago I had the Deluxe 28 with the 254cc engine and it was underpowered I ended up selling it. If you are going to go with an Ariens Deluxe 28 I would suggest you go with SHO model with the 306cc engine which is a much better fit for the 28" auger size. I would also avoid the Compact Series they are too small for your needs. If you have concerns about Auto-Turn the Ariens poly skids are a cheap insurance policy or ArmorSkids. I use the Ariens poly skids they are thicker than the standard steel skids that come with the unit and seem to work well for me and they do not scratch surfaces if that is a concern. If you have a gravel drive go with the ArmorSkids.

Regarding your question about Ariens warranties, while under warranty have your local/closest dealer handle any issues to avoid potentially voiding your factory warranty. If it is a minor issue they will likely just send you the part. Anything substantial they will want you to bring it to an authorized dealer. Ariens customer support is second to none in the industry.

I would try to buy from a local dealer if possible, they will appreciate your business more than the big box store and are more likely to ensure that you are satisfied with the service, if you do have any issues along the way. You can always try to negotiate on price. If your dealer offers what Ariens calls online/promotional pricing, they are unlikely to negotiate price. Local dealers will prioritize their customers during the busy season over someone who bought their machine online or at the local big box store, it's just the way it is.

All the best.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Last edited by Cardo111; 08-19-2016 at 07:26 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome fellow CNYer!

There have been a couple of year old Ariens and Toros for sale on Craigslist if you'd like to save $$$, it seems these people bought new last year and since they didn't use the snowblower much don't think they'll need it this year!
Also have you checked the local dealers for any leftover models they need to get rid of at discounted prices?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post

I think you answered your own question. The Ariens Deluxe 24 would be a very good choice. It is just the right size for that 254cc LCT motor. A few years ago I had the Deluxe 28 with the 254cc engine and it was underpowered I ended up selling it. If you are going to go with an Ariens Deluxe 28 I would suggest you go with SHO model with the 306cc engine which is a much better fit for the 28" auger size.

I would try to buy from a local dealer if possible, they will appreciate your business more than the big box store and will be more likely to ensure that you are satisfied with the service if you do have any issues along the way. They will prioritize their customers during the busy season over someone who bought online or at the local big box store, just a fact of life.
Yeah I will probably shoot for the Deluxe 24. Thanks for the insight on the engine power on the 28. If I was in an area where we had less snow and wanted to get it done quick I think the standard 28 deluxe would work but I would rather have the extra power and have to take another one or two passes. Being the 24 at that higher cc I could conceivably go faster with less snow on the ground also.

In theory with my 21ft wide driveway it will take my 10.5 passes with a 24 and 9 with a 28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
There have been a couple of year old Ariens and Toros for sale on Craigslist if you'd like to save $$$, it seems these people bought new last year and since they didn't use the snowblower much don't think they'll need it this year!
Also have you checked the local dealers for any leftover models they need to get rid of at discounted prices?
I was looking around on Craigslist and there is a limited supply nearby and transportation is troublesome. Even then because of the ariens reputation they are selling rather high. When it comes to dealers there used to be one in my town but they are gone now and the next closest none big box store is about 20min away. So yeah I have some options and would like to go with a local store but so far home depot will deliver for free and I can get a better deal when going new through them from what I have researched so far. Definitely going to try local first, hopefully they can match my ultimate goal or come really close.

I think getting an oldy would be fun but if it were to break and the drive doesn't get cleared the wife would destroy me for not spending the money on a new one when we have been talking it over so much. I still have an old 22" Yard Machine my father in law found on the side of the road that he cleaned up the best he could but other then the engine most of that machine is falling apart. If I could live off Rust I would never go hungry.

Edit: Oh yeah and from what I have been reading buying of eBay has caused trouble for some people with warranties?

Last edited by Grogey; 08-19-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Additional Question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page