Finally found my dream machine - A late 70's 924039 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 10
Finally found my dream machine - A late 70's 924039

Well my patience finally paid off. I've been trying to find a 924039 machine in good condition at a reasonable price, and I just found one that has been stored in a barn for years by its original owner:

I brought it home for $90. The original 8hp tecumseh runs, albeit only on 3/4 to full choke. I've already pulled off the carb and will do a cleaning or rebuild. The augers do not appear to be frozen on the shafts and the augers/impeller move freely. I even got the original owner's manual.

Rust is minimal for its age. The worst of it is at the bottom of the bucket by the scraper bar:

Having procured this, I wanted to run a few questions by the brain trust here to help me plan ahead. I want this to be my long term machine, as it has the right combo of what I am looking for (8hp, electric start, automotive style differential, controls all up top, old school thick steel).

1) I'm on the fence over a full blown strip/repaint. How bad is the rust on the bottom at the edges of the scraper bar? Should I be concerned about it rotting through soon?

2) If I do pull things apart for painting, might as well go all out. Anything I should do engine wise while it would be out and on the bench?

3) The only negative this machine has over my 910019 is that it has an aluminum gearbox and the old one is cast iron. Any concerns with longevity? A little grease leaked out when I transported the bucket on its side. Should I be replacing seals? If I have everything disassembled, should I be rebuilding anything in the gearbox?

4) The differential lock pin is frozen in the "in" position. Any pointers of freeing it up?

I love the machine and look forward to hearing what you guys would do with it.

My machine:
1979 Ariens 924039 (24", 8hp w/ differential)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If I may add to my questions for the mind hive:

I tore into the bucket today with minimal difficulty. The hardest parts were removing the roll pins, and separating the gear case halves. After a little patience, I finally got it apart:

Is it just me, or did very little grease come out? In fact, half of it was liquified, the other half had the consistency of vaseline. You can see it in the following photo where I smeared it with my finger:

Is it possible that the original Ariens liquid grease just separates over time? Or is it possible that the previous owner incorrectly added L2 or something designed for the cast iron unit? Either way, that explains why I was seeing a minor leak. The seals seem fairly good, but the liquid stuff is very thin and can easily leak out.

On to the condition of the worm shaft and gear:

This is my first experience with a gearbox, so I would appreciate advice from trained eyes. How do they look? It looks to me like the brass gear is in good condition. The worm shaft doesn't appear to be majorly deformed, but my eyes are drawn to the roughness in the center. Here's another closeup:

You can definitely see some pitting. Is this anything to worry about?

Since the bucket is almost entirely disassembled (except for the impeller fan from the shaft), I think I'll end up repainting everything. I have plenty of time before winter hits so I can take my time and do this right. Before reassembly, what other parts should I replace while I'm this deep in the job?

Finally, I noticed that two adjacent impeller blades are slightly bent. Is this anything to worry about in terms of being off balance?

I can try to fit them in my bench vise to flatten them. I also think I'll go for an impeller kit while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance for the legendary advice I always get here.

My machine:
post #3 of 37 Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here are two more photos of the worm shaft, in daylight, with a focus on the burred center threads:

My machine:
post #4 of 37 Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anyone?

My machine:
post #5 of 37 Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
I would change the worm shaft, the pitted area may act as an abrasive and eat away the brass gear.
The brass gear looks ok in my opinion (but I am not an Ariens expert)
post #6 of 37 Old 08-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The rust at the bottom of the auger housing does not look bad at all and I do not think that it will rot soon but you could clean it and prime it at minimum to stop it. (if it was me, and it was my dream machine I'll get it powder coated.... )
On the engine, I would check valve adjustment, if out of spec, remove the head, adjust the valves and clean all the carbon from inside.
The bent impeller blades will straighten up on the bench and a big hammer. I agree on drilling for an impeller kit (you can make a template to use on all the blades, so that the holes have equal distances).
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Stang thanked for this post
post #7 of 37 Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Is that pitting, or just crud stuck in the gears?

I'd agree with hsblowersfan, the rust on the rest of it doesn't look bad. Depending on how far you want to go with it, it looks like it should clean up nicely for you.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #8 of 37 Old 08-25-2016, 11:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Is that pitting, or just crud stuck in the gears?.
Good point. Maybe he should try some solvent and see if it comes off.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
If it was mine and a keeper: replace the worm gear, replace the bushings in the gearbox. Get a Mapp torch, warm the impellers up and straighten them out.
If you have access to an abrasive blaster, blast the housing and applicable other parts of rust, get as much out - I like ground up coal cinder. Use a rust encapsulation product on the rust or something like Evaporust. Good primer then Rustoleum paint.
Impeller kit wouldn't hurt, use stainless steel hardware to reduce future rust and prime the insides of any holes you drill.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the great info.

I double checked and there's definitely some pitting in the worm shaft. Some of what you see is caked on grease, but other areas won't shine up and clearly lost a bit of steel. Is that odd that the brass gear looks great, but the worm shaft seems more worn? Perhaps the previous owner already replaced the brass gear.

I FINALLY got the roll pins off the impeller fan, but I still can't get the shaft out. Is this a situation where you just bang on the end of the shaft (past the fan)? Also, I have a propane torch, but not mapp gas. Is that hot enough to aid flattening those two fan blades? The fan is so oddly-shaped that it's tough to place the bent piece flat on my work bench.

Regarding plans, if I sure up this gear case and it doesn't break the bank, I think I'll definitely repaint. Powdercoating sounds expensive, no? I'd also like a good match to the chevy orange most people use. For rust removal, I did already pick up a gallon of Evaporust for the smaller pieces (bolts, flanges, etc.). For removal of the deeper rust, I don't have an abrasive blaster, but I do have a brass wire brush and a decent drill. Is that too light of an equipment lineup to do a good paint/rust removal job?

My machine:

Last edited by Stang; 08-26-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in