LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Ariens 2016 Auto-Turn Fix?

I was just perusing the website: "Snowblowers at Jacks", looking at the new 2016 releases from Ariens.

Under the description of the 2016 machines and their features, I found the phase:

"Re-Balanced Machine: The axle has been re-located on the frame to improve balance and performance of the Auto-Turn steering feature."

Ariens Deluxe 24" ST24LE 254cc Two Stage Snow Blower (2016) SnowBlowersAtJacks

Does this mean that Ariens listened to the outpouring of feedback generated on this forum and elsewhere (I'm sure), regarding frustration with Auto-Turn?

It appears the chorus of complaints was enough to convince Ariens to re-configured their line for 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Interesting. I don't believe they mentioned this in their 2016 catalog or brochures. I thought they just painted the wheels black this year and changed their dash logo. The more I look at it seems like the wheels may be closer to the auger housing than previous years. Ariens may now have Toro balance. I guess they are not making a big deal because they don't want to upset people who bought the previous design and have them ask for a recall. Luckily I have not had any real issues with Auto-Turn (did feel some slight pulling over paver area w/the steel skid shoes) granted my blacktop driveway is relatively flat and is only a few years old.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
Jack should be calling those 2017 models, not 2016.
2016 models came out a year ago.
scot

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
I'm really curious to see if this engineering change significantly affects Auto-Turn performance.

I don't fully understand what Ariens did. As CardioIII pointed out, it's possible they moved the axel closer to the bucket, which would alter balance, and presumably, Auto-Turn.

I asked my local dealer about the re-positioned axel, and he told me Ariens modified the chassis on their consumer models to achieve balance similar to their pro models. Apparently, the pro models had no issues with Auto-Turn.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Agreed. I would like to know. If the issue is remedied then I will go with Ariens. However if not then another brand but the choice is extremely difficult. It seems a lot of people are tight lipped or trying to support Ariens out of brand loyalty. A lot of comments are made by users that do not face problematic circumstances like sloping, uneven driveways and/or very deep heavy snow as I face in Newfoundland Canada.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 788
It was fixed..Ariens moved the location of the axle starting with the 2017 model year, a year ago.
There have many pages of discussion over the past year..conclusion: its all good now.

Scot

post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
I bought a brand new Pro 28 last fall. Itís my first Ariens machine (no brand loyalty complex). I have a fairly sloped driveway. We average 130Ē/year and last year was a pretty wet winter. I mention this to illustrate that I was able to put a good amount of hours on the machine, allowing me to form a somewhat informed opinion. I was definitely weary of the auto turn feature. After a year of running this machine- so far so good. It turns at the bottom of my uphill driveway really nice. I can turn the shoot and get the blower turned around and headed back up the hill in one nice quick motion. Iíll continue to give updates, but so far I am really pleased I spent the money on the Pro series. It will chew through 1 1/2 feet no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
It was fixed..Ariens moved the location of the axle starting with the 2017 model year, a year ago.
There have many pages of discussion over the past year..conclusion: its all good now.

Scot
Scot, It's all good now...except of course for the poor souls that purchased machines with Auto-Turn in model years 2014, 2015, and 2016. For many of those people, it's a real wrestling match each time they use their machines.

I run a 2015 Platinum 24 SHO and for the most part, have few other issues with it. But also don't need a Gym membership, because on a 100'+ driveway in New Hampshire that has a slope and is not totally even pavement..it can be a real workout trying to get it to go straight. Yet on level grass or pavement it goes laser straight. Many others have said the same thing as you know.

Forget the axel position redesign, third-party skids, correct tire inflation, or correct frame/housing alignment, etc..been there done that.

IMO the real question is pure and simple, should there be "some type" of Recall on these affected machines?

Thanks,
-mike-
post #9 of 14 Old 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have a new deluxe 28 sho 2017-2018 year model with the new axle placement. The auto turn works flawlessly with the stock steel skids. My driveway is relatively flat pavement
post #10 of 14 Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I'm unclear on how the axle position & balance would affect how Auo-Turn works.

But if just the front-rear balance of the machine does make A-T work better or worse, perhaps it could be tweaked a bit on existing machines?

If they moved the axle towards the bucket, then the machine becomes more "rear-heavy", with more weight behind the axle, towards the handles. I wonder what would happen if some weight was added to the handles area of a 2014-2016 machine, to have more weight behind the axle (towards the handles). Similar to the effect, on balance, of moving the axle towards the bucket.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page