LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
New Ariens Platinum Sho 30 leaking

Have a brand new Platinum Sho 30 used for this past winter that's leaking the gear oil out of the auger case. Haven't had a chance to investigate further, just noticed the gear oil on the ground. Just wondering if there is anything in particular I should check on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Had the same issue with my Deluxe 28 w/414cc motor. It is likely a leaking seal, bring it to the dealer for a warranty repair. If you have to pay them to pick it up I would call Ariens to reimburse dealer. Good luck with it.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
First thing I'd be checking is my warranty.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Has it been really hot and stored in a hotter garage or shed? I've seen the auger shaft stub grease heat up to liquid and leak out near the sides of the gear case. If you check the level in the gear case and it seems fine clean it up really well and watch it. May be as simple as that and avoid a trip for service.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bndawgs View Post
Have a brand new Platinum Sho 30 used for this past winter that's leaking the gear oil out of the auger case. Haven't had a chance to investigate further, just noticed the gear oil on the ground. Just wondering if there is anything in particular I should check on.
I have the same problem from the rear oil seal. the two side seals do not leak. I don't notice the problem with red oil on the snow, just when in storage in my shed. I made a dipstick to check the oil level and it is within the factory spec given in owners manual. I added more L3 oil to the top of spec. My dealer has not had any complaints and thinks the leakage may be from summer heat expanding the oil in the box, which does not have a vent, causing the slight leak.

Will soon be time to run the machine for checking it out so I can see if it leaks in use.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I have the same problem from the rear oil seal. the two side seals do not leak. I don't notice the problem with red oil on the snow, just when in storage in my shed. I made a dipstick to check the oil level and it is within the factory spec given in owners manual. I added more L3 oil to the top of spec. My dealer has not had any complaints and thinks the leakage may be from summer heat expanding the oil in the box, which does not have a vent, causing the slight leak.

Will soon be time to run the machine for checking it out so I can see if it leaks in use.
never had this problem, wonder if it was overfilled at factory, do the synthetic oils they probably use expand more than dino oil or are the seals wearing prematurely. it doesn't take much oil in a ring and pinion gear case for lubrication, the ring gear just needs to dip into the oil and carry it around to the pinion. you could always call Ariens service department and pick their brains.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-25-2016, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
never had this problem, wonder if it was overfilled at factory, do the synthetic oils they probably use expand more than dino oil or are the seals wearing prematurely. it doesn't take much oil in a ring and pinion gear case for lubrication, the ring gear just needs to dip into the oil and carry it around to the pinion. you could always call Ariens service department and pick their brains.
The factory did not overfill the auger gearbox. The L3 oil is way thinner than hypoid gear oil or the grease, but I don't know about expansion properties. I checked the gearbox oil level when I got the machine, after the first and second season and now getting it ready for its third season and it has always been in the "safe zone" (2.38" to 2.63" from the top of the gearcase where the plug and washer would sit). My new dipstick just makes it more convenient/easier to check. The oil level has gone down but not by as much as would be expected of a seal leak, under use, on a highly used machine.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I took the auger/impeller assembly out and stood it vertically on the impeller. The oil gushed from the seal, so it needs a new seal. The impeller shaft has no free play. The bearing at the pulley end of the impeller shaft is a ball bearing unit. The bearings at each end of the auger shaft are plastic and no lubrication present.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I took the auger/impeller assembly out and stood it vertically on the impeller. The oil gushed from the seal, so it needs a new seal. The impeller shaft has no free play. The bearing at the pulley end of the impeller shaft is a ball bearing unit. The bearings at each end of the auger shaft are plastic and no lubrication present.
Plastic auger bearings don't sound too durable. Let's hope for the best.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
My dealer replaced all 3 seals on the auger gearbox shafts and the front metal seal. The Ariens gearbox oil is now clear instead of red. Apparently the gearbox manufacturer deems the red L3 lubricant as proprietary so Ariens now sells the clear oil. My machine is back together again and no leaks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page