post #1 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Pro 28 model 926038 vs 926065

Hi

Ok, so I'm shopping for a snow blower. Ariens is on the list and I notice that the model number for the Pro 28 switched from 926038 over to 926065.

Does anybody know if they just got tired of the old number or if they actually changed something in the design?

I have not seen anybody with the new model yet. I do still see places listing the old model in stock. If there is an improvement in the beast, I'd rather not get the "bad old one". If it's just a change in tire width from 5" to 4.8", I can live with that.

Indeed, like everybody else who ever buys another snowblower, I'm going in circles about which one. The bad part is I can clearly remember my dad going around in the same circles 50 years ago ... several dozen snowblowers later, there still is no clear and simple answer other than "go large".

Bob
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cardo111 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, so I'm shopping for a snow blower. Ariens is on the list and I notice that the model number for the Pro 28 switched from 926038 over to 926065.

Does anybody know if they just got tired of the old number or if they actually changed something in the design?

I have not seen anybody with the new model yet. I do still see places listing the old model in stock. If there is an improvement in the beast, I'd rather not get the "bad old one". If it's just a change in tire width from 5" to 4.8", I can live with that.

Indeed, like everybody else who ever buys another snowblower, I'm going in circles about which one. The bad part is I can clearly remember my dad going around in the same circles 50 years ago ... several dozen snowblowers later, there still is no clear and simple answer other than "go large".

Bob
Uncle Bob

Hate to admit it but I probably spent more time researching my new snowblower than my car. I was close to buying a Pro 28 last year but it was overkill for the winters we usually get here but certainly a fine machine. I went with a Platinum 24 SHO.

Ariens has made some significant changes this year for winter 2016/2017:

Probably the most significant change is the axle has been moved closer to the auger housing. This is said to have been done to improve the machine's balance and prevent any issues with their Auto Turn system.

On the Professional series the handle bars are now much more substantial than years past as well, more Simplicity Signature Pro-like now. The Ariens logo has also changed and the wheels are now painted black instead of gray (I know not biggies)

Good luck on your search, you won't go wrong with an Ariens Pro series machine and Ariens customer support is top notch.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 08-27-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Thanks uncle_bob thanked for this post
post #3 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
If you liked last years Ariens you'll like this years better I'll bet. The new placement of the axle should make the auto turn feature work even better. Some say buying a new snowblower is like buying a new car. Some people like Fords, some Chevys, some Dodges. Some people swear by Ariens, Toro, Honda or Husqvarna. Some people swear at them! We won't know for 20 years. I like my new Husky but you can't go wrong with an Ariens.
Thanks uncle_bob thanked for this post
post #4 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi

Ok, I had seen mention of the axle move on the Deluxe and Platinum models. It was abundantly unclear if that applied to the Pro as well. My entire issue is the 3' wide / 3' high EOD that the township drops at the end of the three car wide drive. I very much understand *why* they do it. (The mayor works the same place I do).

From the prices I have seen so far, the cost difference between the Pro at HD and the Platinum at a dealer an hour drive (half hour out / half hour back) away isn't all that big. Yes, I'd rather go with the dealer. At least around here, they aren't exactly local. From past experience on this sort of stuff, they are going to charge more than just a little to drop by here. Welcome to living in a small town ....

I think that over the years, I've bought / sold / broke just about every snowblower brand known. I am pretty sure that the ideal snowblower has yet to be invented. There are none of them that will go out and do the drive while I sit and finish my coffee

Bob

Last edited by uncle_bob; 08-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Dealer anyway
post #6 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
Dealer anyway
Hi

That's a fair comment.

The last three I have bought from have gone out of business. The local guy who Ariens still lists as a dealer has been gone for a couple years. It is getting harder to find dealers..... They *ARE* something we do need to keep around.

Bob
post #7 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Quote:
Hi

Ok, I had seen mention of the axle move on the Deluxe and Platinum models. It was abundantly unclear if that applied to the Pro as well. My entire issue is the 3' wide / 3' high EOD that the township drops at the end of the three car wide drive. I very much understand *why* they do it. (The mayor works the same place I do).

From the prices I have seen so far, the cost difference between the Pro at HD and the Platinum at a dealer an hour drive (half hour out / half hour back) away isn't all that big. Yes, I'd rather go with the dealer. At least around here, they aren't exactly local. From past experience on this sort of stuff, they are going to charge more than just a little to drop by here. Welcome to living in a small town ....

I think that over the years, I've bought / sold / broke just about every snowblower brand known. I am pretty sure that the ideal snowblower has yet to be invented. There are none of them that will go out and do the drive while I sit and finish my coffee

Bob
Wasn't the axle already moved on the dealer only models?

Wouldn't doubt if we see remote control snowblowers soon, after all there are vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers already.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
Wasn't the axle already moved on the dealer only models?

Wouldn't doubt if we see remote control snowblowers soon, after all there are vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers already.
Hi

That's what I thought, but I certainly am no expert on the ins and outs of each model. I finally found some promo stuff that would load properly. The handle bar assembly definitely is new. I also suspect they changed tire vendors since the size changed just a bit.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready for an autonomous snowblower. They seem to get in *plenty* of trouble even with adult supervision .....

Bob
post #9 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
I am pretty sure that the ideal snowblower has yet to be invented. There are none of them that will go out and do the drive while I sit and finish my coffee

Bob
It will be hard to make the "ideal" general snowblower as there are so many factor involved, but an "ideal" snowblower could be made to suit your needs though

Now, on the snowblower that can clean your driveway as you finish your coffee, yes there is one (you just need to be behind the R/C). It is an automated Ariens blower. It costs about $10k though

4WD Snow Blower RC Robot - RobotShop

There are a few other automated blowers an plows.... browse on google or youtube...
post #10 of 20 Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi

I have yet to own a snowblower that does not require a shove or a yank to keep it out of trouble. Setting one up to run in a field .... Sure, can be done. Running it around a tight packed suburban lot with lots of obstacles (like the neighbor kids), that is a very different thing.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page