Gear Greasing via fitting or taking panel off? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Gear Greasing via fitting or taking panel off?

What's the deal with greasing the gears? Does everyone use the grease fitting right behind the wheel? I see a lot of people taking the panel off and just greasing the actual gear itself. If I just use the grease fitting is four or five pumps good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
You might want to let us know what make/model you're referring to...
post #3 of 16 Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
28" deluxe 921022 thank you
post #4 of 16 Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
I don't have that model but I do have an Ariens and some others. You will get better coverage taking the auger rakes off and greasing the shaft vs a greasegun.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
I think he is referring to greasing stuff in the tractor section.
I dont have that model with a zerk behind the tire so I'll let one of the Ariens experts answer your question. I do know almost every 2 stage needs a light hand applied film on the hex shaft that the friction disc slides back and forth on. Since you have to go inside for that, you may find other places that could use some grease. Just make sure none gets on the friction drive areas.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-10-2016, 10:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 122
Garage
The owners manual for late model machines shows all the gears need a little grease, the chain needing a little oil and the hex shaft a little grease. There is no mention of the grease zerk, but my dealer said to use about 2 pumps and no more each season. There is no noticeable lubrication on these parts from the factory so be very sparing to avoid lubrication getting on drive plate or rubber tire

It is not easy to see what the zerk greases since there are the gears and chain for the drive hiding its location on inside of the chassis. The parts manual shows the zerk but not what it is fitted to as far as I can see.

After I get the auger gear box seal fixed then I will try to check again, which will be the third or fourth time.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 16 Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
The owners manual for late model machines shows all the gears need a little grease, the chain needing a little oil and the hex shaft a little grease. There is no mention of the grease zerk, but my dealer said to use about 2 pumps and no more each season. There is no noticeable lubrication on these parts from the factory so be very sparing to avoid lubrication getting on drive plate or rubber tire

It is not easy to see what the zerk greases since there are the gears and chain for the drive hiding its location on inside of the chassis. The parts manual shows the zerk but not what it is fitted to as far as I can see.

After I get the auger gear box seal fixed then I will try to check again, which will be the third or fourth time.
I had an auger gearbox leak on my Ariens Deluxe 28 special edition (had a 414cc engine) it leaked after the first use, I ended up returning it. Are you saying that yours had a leak 3-4 times?

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2016, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
I had an auger gearbox leak on my Ariens Deluxe 28 special edition (had a 414cc engine) it leaked after the first use, I ended up returning it. Are you saying that yours had a leak 3-4 times?
No, I was trying to say that I have looked at what the right side chassis zerk lubricates several times (my reference to 3-4 times). Because of the gears and chain obstructing my view I have yet to figure out what that zerk lubricates.

My reference to the gearbox rear seal leak (another thread) needs to be dealt with first, before I again look at what that zerk lubricates. I see the leak as oil on the ground in the off season, but never saw red oil on the snow or in the winter.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
Is it the zerk at item 23?

Drawing from
Here.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Hi dbert, No not on my machine's parts list, there is no zerk at the end of that shaft. The zerk is shown separately, slightly behind the wheel axle center line and above it. No shafts or anything shown on inside of chassis to match up to.

That parts list you show is for a machine several years older, so there may be a change for the current machines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page