Thinking of buying an Ariens, but have some questions/concerns. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Thinking of buying an Ariens, but have some questions/concerns.

We're quickly approaching my first winter in the new home. We moved in last march, and got dumped on with snow the first week we owned the home. Right then I decided a snowblower was in my future.

That being said, I'm looking at the Home Depot promotions (12mo no interest) - and narrowed down the options to either the Areins 24 Compact or the Areins Deluxe 28. I also looked at the Cub Cadet and Toro, but am leaning towards Ariens.

My driveway is 1.5 cars wide minus up by the garage, it widens out to 2-car wide for about a car length. The driveway itself is about 2,000 square feet including the parking pad on the side of the house.... have a nice setback from the road.

Now, I was thinking "Hey, bigger is better" and going with the Deluxe 28, but then I got into reading some of the reviews about the auto-turn being an issue - some of the reviews stated it's hard to keep the units with auto-turn tracking straight. Any word here? I also read a posting on another sit that the 30 was updated this year to help this? Should I be concerned here? If that is an issue, I would consider staying with the 24 Compact without the auto turn. My driveway isn't wide - it's just long.... and I do like the idea of the 24 Compact, as I would likely be storing this in the garage during the winter, and in the shed during the summer - but I am also concerned about the end of driveway too.

Thoughts on my questions / concerns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Don't think the Ariens Auto Turn will be a problem, they made some changes for this years models. I imagine once you get it professionally set-up you'll be good. By professionally set-up I don't mean by the kids at Home Depot. I've heard you can buy snowblowers at Home Depot and get them set-up by a local dealer. If that service isn't available in your area and you still choose to buy from Home Depot rather than your local dealer I'm sure there are some experiences hands on this website who can walk you thru setting it up yourself. Just ask! We love to help!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TSR6 thanked for this post
post #3 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post

Don't think the Ariens Auto Turn will be a problem, they made some changes for this years models. I imagine once you get it professionally set-up you'll be good. By professionally set-up I don't mean by the kids at Home Depot. I've heard you can buy snowblowers at Home Depot and get them set-up by a local dealer. If that service isn't available in your area and you still choose to buy from Home Depot rather than your local dealer I'm sure there are some experiences hands on this website who can walk you thru setting it up yourself. Just ask! We love to help!
I'm pretty handy myself. I unfortunately took on the whole "we'll build your Weber grill for free" offer when I got my grill, and had to fix a few leaks. I still regret that - should have just done it myself.

I love Home Depot... but most of the folks that work there are certainly not their for their mechanical abilities. I'll aim that route thanks to zero interest and the Home Depot card. I should have no problem putting it together myself as long as it's not pre-assembed.

I'm not sure how they handle it - it almost sounds like you purchase from them, and a local company assembles it and delivers it with "white glove" service. I'm still in the early steps...

I'm glad to hear the auto-turn thing shouldnt be a problem. I'd sure like to hear some more opinions here too.
post #4 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 238
Likes (Received): 139
Garage
I agree with stromr about the set-up. The dealer's mechanics are setting up a lot of machines over the years and get very good at it. The big box stores can be hit or miss. You might get somebody who is a good mechanic or you might get a kid with no experience. I always try to buy from a local dealer. I think you get better service after the sale when the machine needs parts or a repair.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 07:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
We're quickly approaching my first winter in the new home. We moved in last march, and got dumped on with snow the first week we owned the home. Right then I decided a snowblower was in my future.

That being said, I'm looking at the Home Depot promotions (12mo no interest) - and narrowed down the options to either the Areins 24 Compact or the Areins Deluxe 28. I also looked at the Cub Cadet and Toro, but am leaning towards Ariens.

My driveway is 1.5 cars wide minus up by the garage, it widens out to 2-car wide for about a car length. The driveway itself is about 2,000 square feet including the parking pad on the side of the house.... have a nice setback from the road.

Now, I was thinking "Hey, bigger is better" and going with the Deluxe 28, but then I got into reading some of the reviews about the auto-turn being an issue - some of the reviews stated it's hard to keep the units with auto-turn tracking straight. Any word here? I also read a posting on another sit that the 30 was updated this year to help this? Should I be concerned here? If that is an issue, I would consider staying with the 24 Compact without the auto turn. My driveway isn't wide - it's just long.... and I do like the idea of the 24 Compact, as I would likely be storing this in the garage during the winter, and in the shed during the summer - but I am also concerned about the end of driveway too.

aboard!

You will be happy that you went with an Ariens a good balance of features and quality for the price, along with excellent customer support.

Personally I am not crazy about the 2 choices you listed. Both are underpowered if working a formidable EOD plow pile. I would rather see you go with the Deluxe 24 w/ the 254cc LCT motor or the Deluxe 28 SHO with the 306cc engine. Either of these machines will provide you with enough power per auger inch an important performance measurement. As I mentioned in many of my posts I ended up selling my Deluxe 28 because it did not have enough oomph for the big plow piles, worked good everywhere else but to me that's the true test of a machine's worth.

I am pretty sure Ariens is offering similar finance promos through their independent dealers (as others have posted IMHO you would be better off buying through a local dealer if possible for many reasons) you can check their website for the specifics. Best of luck on your search.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-19-2016 at 07:05 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 258
I have to second the local dealer thing. I do not trust the big box stores to set up the machine properly. And I went with a Deluxe 28SHO. You should do the same. Get it and don't worry anymore.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post

I'm also in the market for a new snowblower. From what I've read & researched, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the new compact 24's have auto turn as well as all other models. But like others have stated, the 2017 models have had some modifications done to improve the auto turn function. They've moved the axel to distribute weight differently allowing for better results.
post #8 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I'm also in the market for a new snowblower. From what I've read & researched, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the new compact 24's have auto turn as well as all other models. But like others have stated, the 2017 models have had some modifications done to improve the auto turn function. They've moved the axel to distribute weight differently allowing for better results.

I just purchase a 2017 921045, which is the Deluxe 24. The research I did showed that the Compact 24 does not have Autoturn.

I had my Ariens delivered straight from the factory and set it up myself.

Once you have a model number and serial number you can download the service manual from the Ariens site. It has all of the particulars needed for set up. The users manual also has quite a bit of information about proper set up. Assembly of the Deluxe 24 was pretty much just putting the handlebars into place, then checking some of cables, installing the chute rod (crank), the chute and routing the chute cable and hooking it up to the proper control on the console. Also, checked the tire pressure and made sure that it was correct for now. Will probably need some more air come cold weather.

I had considered the Compact, but decided I wanted the larger engine and Autoturn. I have fired it up and drove it about 10-15 feet out of the garage and back. It seemed to track straight for me, but we'll see what happens when it snows.

(All the edits are due to difficulty getting the "Welcome" smiley posted.)

Bob

Last edited by NVA4370; 09-19-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Welcome Smiley
post #9 of 32 Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
aboard!

You will be happy that you went with an Ariens a good balance of features and quality for the price, along with excellent customer support.

Personally I am not crazy about the 2 choices you listed. Both are underpowered if working a formidable EOD plow pile. I would rather see you go with the Deluxe 24 w/ the 254cc LCT motor or the Deluxe 28 SHO with the 306cc engine. Either of these machines will provide you with enough power per auger inch an important performance measurement. As I mentioned in many of my posts I ended up selling my Deluxe 28 because it did not have enough oomph for the big plow piles, worked good everywhere else but to me that's the true test of a machine's worth.

I am pretty sure Ariens is offering similar finance promos through their independent dealers (as others have posted IMHO you would be better off buying through a local dealer if possible for many reasons) you can check their website for the specifics. Best of luck on your search.
Ariens is offering similar promotions - but it is with their YardCard. If I do the Home Depot route, the Home Depot card will be useful to me in more instances - including a lawn mower that is in the cards for spring/summer (not sure if I want an Ariens or not there yet) - or if the water heater craps, or when I insulate my garage. (yes...laundry list of projects.). In all reality, I'll likely be using the 12-mo no interest as a 4-5mo no interest card and paying it off early. I could buy outright too, but I'm trying to rebuild the emergency fund, and have heathcare bills to cover too - just had the first kid. Those things are pricey. I could have bought a couple of these snow throwers for the price of that bill!

Where I'm at now - looks like pricing falls:

$1,099 - Deluxe 28 - Model: 921030 (Home Depot or my local Ariens dealer)
$1,319 - Deluxe 28 - Model: 921046 (local Ariens dealer)
$1,419 - Dlx 28SHO - Model 921048 (local ariens dealer)

Now, I don't see any difference engine wise with the #030 and #046 - only if you upgrade to the Deluxe 28SHO - but the SHO is a little spendy. I was hoping to stay around $1K. I've never had a snowblower before, but I've also never had a driveway this long. The upgrade is just a little costly, and I'm not sure I can justify it for the oddball snowstorm if the standard 28's would be fine 90% of the time.

I know you NY'ers get slammed with the Nor'Easters a couple times every winter. In WI here, we get a lot of the 4-8" snowstorms with an occasional 8"+ storm and usually 1-2 blizzards a year. If I can get a snow blower that will have me covered for all the 4-8" and to where I can still manage the 12" snows without busting my hind end too bad (including the end of the driveway), I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, I've only seen one snow storm here... in march.... so I don't know how bad the plows pack my driveway. I assume it should be bad, as I'm on the inside of a slight curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I agree with stromr about the set-up. The dealer's mechanics are setting up a lot of machines over the years and get very good at it. The big box stores can be hit or miss. You might get somebody who is a good mechanic or you might get a kid with no experience. I always try to buy from a local dealer. I think you get better service after the sale when the machine needs parts or a repair.
I really plan on putting it together myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
I have to second the local dealer thing. I do not trust the big box stores to set up the machine properly. And I went with a Deluxe 28SHO. You should do the same. Get it and don't worry anymore.
See above... I would consider the 28SHO, but i am concerned on cost if I can make do fine with the Dlx 28. I do really plan on putting it together myself... big box store will likely just be a checkout counter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA4370 View Post

I just purchase a 2017 921045, which is the Deluxe 24. The research I did showed that the Compact 24 does not have Autoturn.

I had my Ariens delivered straight from the factory and set it up myself.

Once you have a model number and serial number you can download the service manual from the Ariens site. It has all of the particulars needed for set up. The users manual also has quite a bit of information about proper set up. Assembly of the Deluxe 24 was pretty much just putting the handlebars into place, then checking some of cables, installing the chute rod (crank), the chute and routing the chute cable and hooking it up to the proper control on the console. Also, checked the tire pressure and made sure that it was correct for now. Will probably need some more air come cold weather.

I had considered the Compact, but decided I wanted the larger engine and Autoturn. I have fired it up and drove it about 10-15 feet out of the garage and back. It seemed to track straight for me, but we'll see what happens when it snows.

(All the edits are due to difficulty getting the "Welcome" smiley posted.)

Sounds easy
post #10 of 32 Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 168
In hear ya. Actually where I live in NY (NY Metro suburb) not in an upstate NY snowbelt region, the winters are similar to yours, last winter was a joke about 20 inches. Some winters we get hit much harder but only about 38-40 inches per year on average per the data I could find.

Regarding differences this year the most significant change was they moved the axle closer to the auger housing for better balance and to address potential issues with their Auto-Turn system (manufactured by GT Transmissions) that usually could have been addressed with changing the skid shoes. Additionally the logo changed and the wheel color changed from grey to black (not biggies).

My local dealer offers what Ariens calls "Online Pricing" and offers the Deluxe 28 SHO for $1199. USD (this may change his website is still showing last year's model #). I would try to negotiate price with your dealer if you're not satisfied buy it from HD, take your time putting it together and your local dealer will usually honor the warranty (this also varies by area). If you buy from one of the 2 local HD's in my area my local dealer assembles it and delivers it for free as part of the Ariens "White Glove Delivery" offered here.

I'm confident you will get a good machine for what you want to spend and for your needs. I almost bought an Ariens Pro 28 last year because of all the good financing/warranty extension promos that were being offer but was glad that I didn't , not because it isn't a great machine but it was beyond what I needed here. I only clear my own driveway. My issue with the regular non SHO Deluxe 28 is the engine is small for a heavy duty, 28 inch auger machine.

All the best.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-20-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page