LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2+2 Safe for Young Teen?

I rebuilt the carb and pull start of a 2+2 Ariens small blower for my 13 yr old. Are there specific safety concerns I should teach him regarding this machine outside the normal use and safety? Thanks. Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

That's a great question! I bought my first snowblower after a summer of mowing lawns in the neighborhood. I was 14 years old. If your son has expressed an interest in "what makes things tick" as I did from an early age and has been showing the responsibility and maturity to work safely and get chores done he's well on his way. Give him the benefit of your experience and show him an owners manual with the list of safety guidelines. Only you know for sure.

Last edited by stromr; 09-24-2016 at 01:34 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the info. I will walk him through the safe use of the unit. He is showing responsibility and a drive (most days) to take on more chores at home and outside to earn. I also picked up a lawnmower and weedwacker people were getting rid of. Tuned them up, sharpened blade, rebuild carbs etc... and he has those too to do local lawns in the neighborhood. Appreciate the help! Ed
post #4 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 140
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 378
Likes (Received): 924
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...age-users.html

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 235
Likes (Received): 138
Garage
Snowblower can cause hand injuries

I've never used a snowblower, but read a lot about safety since this is my first winter with one. Apparently, when the snowblower is clogged, there can be a lot of pressure on the auger and impeller. If you use your hands to clear the clog, the auger or impeller can move and cause a hand injury. Here's a synopsis of an article I found when I googled, "Hand injuries and snowblower":

Snowblower injuries to the hand: epidemiology, patterns of injury, and strategies for prevention.
Master D1, Piorkowski J, Zani S, Babigian A.
Author information
1University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT, USA.
Abstract
Snowblowers injure approximately 5000 people a year and can cause devastating hand injuries. Even with added safety measures and warnings on modern snowblowers, hand injuries are still occurring at an alarming rate. We have reviewed our series of snowblower-related hand injuries to elucidate the epidemiology, patterns of injury, and strategies for prevention.Questionnaires and treatment records of 22 individuals with snowblower injuries to the hand between 2002 and 2005 were reviewed. All patients were treated by a single hand surgeon at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, CT.Eleven of the 22 held upper level educational degrees. Averaged results include operator experience of 15.17 years, machine age of 21.38 years, temperature of 29.05 degrees F (-1.51 degrees C), precipitation of 8.60 cm (3.38 in), and duration of use of 20.59 minutes excluding 3 outliers. Three patients consumed 1 alcoholic drink and 1 consumed 2 alcoholic drinks before injury. The majority of patients were aware of safety warnings (77.20%) and injured themselves with the machine running (82.35%) resulting in multiple digit injury (2.0 on average) on the dominant hand (68.18%).Operator inexperience, low operator intelligence, and excessive alcohol consumption do not seem to contribute to injury. Instead, significant experience, older machines, short durations of use before injury, characteristic weather patterns, and underlying misperceptions about snowblower design and function typically set the stage for injury. Injuries may be prevented in the future by improving snowblower design and/or by making brief public service announcements.

Perhaps you can demonstrate how to clear a clog the first time and give a thorough safety talk. 5,000 injuries is a small number compared to the total number of snowblowers here, but some people are getting hurt. Here is a short t.v. program of a teen who had a hand injury when the snowblower's blades were turned off, but there was still "rotational force" built up in the blades. http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/busin...138621664.html

Last edited by Miles; 09-24-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fix
post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 140
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 378
Likes (Received): 924
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ay-lesson.html

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
You can always buy a clean out tool and it's mount made for another machine and mount it on top of the bucket like this.

Last edited by stromr; 10-03-2016 at 12:00 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
I've had my machine jammed up with newspapers real bad a few times in its 10 years of commercial use, a snapper 8246 although it will happen to any machine, there was never any pressure left after dealing with a major clog like that, I clogged up the old Ariens to but can't recall how many times since that is my secondary machine. Jammed to the point it either took an hour to get it out, sitting there pulling and getting real let's say unhappy, had to take a torch and burn it out, now I always carry one for that issue, a few times had to get a crowbar and hammer and pry it out. Sometimes life is made easier if you remove the shear bolts from the auger which takes the resistance away from the augers but if that newspaper is jammed in the impeller you still have to deal with that. My machine has jammed up many, many times, newspapers being the worst, a rock a few times and one time ice froze the belly of the impeller stopping it, which burnt up the belt (that was a 1999, 5HP, MTD PowerPro. Those little plastic clean out tools will not unclog a rock, newspaper or solid ice. Only fire (heat) or a crowbar and a hammer along with your hands and arms pulling that newspaper out will. There is no other way. It's happened at least 20 times in the last 10 years. Every Time I unclogged the machine that badly jammed up there was never any resistance left over. Spark plug boot off, hands off the triggers on the handle's. If it's an older machine make sure the engagement levers are disengaged. If someone forgets to release the engagement levers on the older machine's, then you could have an accident waiting to happen. The people getting hurt are the people who left the engine running on the machine while they were attempting to unclog the machine and if it was an old machine left the levers engaged, if those levers are disengaged there is no tension on the belts. My father's friend had one of the older Ariens 10000 series with the levers to disengage it. He left the engine running and the machine engaged, (the levers on) and he went to unclog that machine. His arm got badly hurt and has never been and never will be the same. Anyone here ever get a newspaper jammed up real good in there machine? You're not getting it out without tugging and pulling and usually a metal tire iron or crowbar to get that out, a torch is a big help as well. It's not happening, not gonna budge. Those plastic unclogging tools are worthless in that scenario. The only way your going to get a newspaper out of the impeller and auger is if you get in there and start yanking little by little or prying with the crowbar. I've spent up to an hour getting one out. There was no pressure ever left after dealing with that.
If it's a simple clog use common sense, the little plastic mini shovel may get the job done then. Clogs happen and if they're bad enough, your going to have to get to the source with arms and hands and start yanking if you want to get that machine unclogged. You can't avoid it.
The majority of patients were aware of safety warnings (77.20%) and injured themselves with the machine running (82.35%) resulting in multiple digit injury.
-So 8 out of 10 left the engine running, there you go. Shut those engines off and pull the plugs before dealing with clogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page